Son refused visit visa, passport advice needed

I applied for visit visas for my 5 month old son and thai gf. They were refused.

I thought a visit visa would be quicker to obtain rather than a UK passport as I only had 1 month before the planned visit, but he was refused due to my gf being refused which I thought was odd as he could has just travelled with me.

Anyhow that is probably another topic.

I think it will be better to get the British passport but not sure if I can obtain whilst he is not in the UK. So my gf and son are in Thailand, I am in UK, what is the route I need to take to get a passport.

I have with me a translation of his birth certificate and copy of original, we did not register his birth at the British embassy but I am named in thai on his birth certificate.

Any help much appreciated.

Unless things have changed it used to be necessary to state in the application if the child is to be accompanied or not. If accompanied (as my stepdaughter was) it stated on the visa who the accompanying adult was. Without this adult the visa would not be valid.

It may be that with a parent refused this automatically meant the child would be refused.

British passport cuts out this problem!

To apply for his British passport in Thailand; see Overseas British passport applications.

It is not necessary to register his birth via the embassy: Register a birth abroad

You can still apply for a UK passport for your child even if you don’t register the birth in the UK.

Note, though, that you will need his original Thai birth certificate and a certified English translation for his passport application.

You will also need to include your long form birth certificate in his passport application; original, not photocopy.

If you do not have this, you can order one via this page if born in England or Wales or via the appropriate link from that page if born in Northern Ireland or Scotland..

As I said

I don't think he can apply in the UK without being in the UK.

I have not been able to find anything which suggests that is incorrect.

However, I am more than willing to be proven wrong on this point.