PM Prayut orders help for a woman who set fire to herself

webfact

PM orders help for a woman who set fire upon herself

10-15-2014-10-19-48-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has ordered authorities to look after a woman who set herself on fire in front of the complaints centre at the Government House apparently in a fit of stress over the failure to settle a huge debt.

Government deputy spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the prime minister ordered PM’s Office Minister Panadda Diskul to visit the woman, a Mrs Sangwien Raksapet, who is still being treated at Vajira hospital since she was admitted on October 15.

Also, the colonel said that the prime minister wanted officials concerned to look into her case and to resolve it.

A resident of Kok Samrong district of Lop Buri, Mrs Sangwien used to travel to Bangkok to lodge a complaint with the complaints centre at the Government House regarding a loan she took from a money lender, Ms Thidarat.

Mrs Sangwien claimed that she took a loan amounting to 400,000 baht from Ms Thidarat who however claimed that the former had taken several loans from her and finally both sides agreed to settle the amount of loan at 1.5 million baht during talks at Kok Samrong district.

However on August 14 the two parties were invited to the provincial hall for a settlement of the conflict in the presence of a public prosecutor, provincial officials and police who tried to mediate. The talks ended in a deadlock and MrsSangwien, after leaving the meeting room, took a small bottle of gasoline from her handbag, poured the gasoline on her body and set it afire.

Officials at the provincial hall rushed to her rescue, doused the fire and took her to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-orders-help-woman-set-fire-upon/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-16

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How long before we get copy cat attempts as it seems a good way to get a handout.

Sent from my LG-D858

I don't really know of anyone who wants to deliberately set themselves on fire, this poor wretch will now face the rest of her life scarred and in constant pain and many infections, Thailand is not the best place for a fire victim especially if the face area is damaged..

• Like 2

It is not the duty of the P.M. to issue orders of this nature , there should already be departments within the health portfolio that should automatically placed into action and the police and DSI should auto be in the process of investigation, why do these things of this nature have to be addressed in such a off handed way in Thailand. bah.gif

• Like 2

A noble gesture, hopefully followed by wiping out the loan shark mafia and ordering banks to cough up repayable loan solutions to people in need.

This however works only if Thai people are forced to let go of the all apparent "buy now, pay later" attitude, which is abused by car, motorbike and property sales people all over the country and which is happily embraced by public.

It is very simple - you can't spend what you don't have! If you take a loan make sure you will be able to handle the payments, etc... I have never seen a Thai person calculating how much they actually lose when buying a car on installments, they always look at me in awe when I tell them that their downpayment of 25% or so usually is lost for good as it approximately covers the compound interest over the 5 or 6 years of installments. Takes two to tango - everyone involved is guilty.

Governments always seem to help people who get there

self into debit,while people who work hard,budget their

money,try and save,while their savings in banks are just

evaporating due to inflation and low interest rates are

just left to fend for themselves.

regards Worgeordie

Not really fair!!

They even staged a coup in favour of the fat cats!!whistling.gif

Respectfully, maybe the families of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller should set themselves aflame so that the illustrious man will give notice to their murder investigation. Maybe he would then send compensation money, or at least have the decency to pay for their transport back to the UK as well as their funerals. Anything, General, besides nurturing lunatic behavior?

The standard of logic and priorities in this land is beggaring to the mind.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Maybe I'll set myself on fire in protest of the restrictive visas for husbands of Thai women.

Let us know how you make out, in the meantime, put another shrimp on the barbie.

While this is a burning issue, is it something a country's leader needs to get involved with? Put another red herring on the barbie.

Why is everybody just standing there? Look at the guy on the right. HE HAD TO TAKE HIS MOBILE OUT AND RECORD THIS?

I guess a Thai life to them is nothing. Surely there had to be a water jug inside, fire extinguisher.....disgusting...Maybe they thought

she was from Myanmar?

When I first came to Thailand, I had a Malaysian friend say he felt Thais had a low respect for their lives and the lives of others.

After 10 years I still refuse to accept this despite very strong evidence to the contrary.

Whatever happened to the low interest government loans announced by the NCPO for people to payoff loan sharks who imposed impossibly high interest loans? The purpose of such a subsidy was to allow people to meet their debt obligations within a reasonable budget, alleviate stress, and financial hardship. Maybe such a plan never got funding.