Thai DSI: 'Big rings behind luxury car scam'

webfact

Could always lower the tax to eliminate black market all together, might even make money money in tax by selling more luxury cars at decent prices

.....this good idea from konying is just far too difficult for any Thai official to figure out.........

Actually it is very simple, but requires a degree of common sense and just a touch of honesty.

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" The smugglers are clearly influential people... "

Well that's an end to that investigation.

No!!! It must go on!!! Lets get those bad Malaysians for helping our Crooks.

Wait, I thought the Myamies were the escape goat du jour.

UPDATE:

Authorities believe that this is part of an international automobile smuggling ring operating from across the border in Malaysia, according to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI).

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mystery-may-29-pak-chong-luxury-car-fire-last-year-divulged/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-10-16

Or to put it another way.

No Thai would do this.

Could always lower the tax to eliminate black market all together, might even make money money in tax by selling more luxury cars at decent prices

.....this good idea from konying is just far too difficult for any Thai official to figure out.........

Actually it is very simple, but requires a degree of common sense and just a touch of honesty.

You just summarized it completely. Thai are seriously lacking in those two areas.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

exactly, 300% tax means you are encouraging criminal activity. If it was a more reasonable 30%-60% I'm sure most people would pay it as there would not be such a lucrative profit margin.

With a minimum of 300% tax on a luxury car not made in Thailand what do they expect. That's the biggest robbery I see here, excessive import tax.

Unfortunatly commonsense eludes Thai governments.

Actually common sense eludes most governments but you both hit it spot on. If the tax were reasonable, most people who want fine cars would just pay it and not take the chance of having problems with government. But 300% tax makes it attractive for officers of the government to accept "gratuities" to let things slide and for consumers to take their chances circumventing the tax. Markets do not respond well to outside pressures and that's all this is, is a market force being resisted.

Criminal level unheard of tax rates on import cars: you idiots CREATE a black market for it! You deserve it, and I hope it causes you to lower tax and be reasonable.

To only now see how 'it may be some big names' and 'there may be some malaysians to blame' means some guys at DSI need fired and ought to get a job as a barber, host, or bellboy.

Edited by gemini81

I believe the following are the reasons for the High Tax on Vehicles in the Kingdom. For most new cars and trucks a 300% "road tax" is charged at time of purchase. For Luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) in the Kingdom, the road tax is 600%. The reason being is that the Tax generated, pays for road construction and maintenance. I also believe that a Tax of 500% is imposed on Tobacco and Alcohol. The Government determined that Cigarette smokers and Alcohol drinkers spend more time in Hospital than those that refrained from those habits. So, that tax is used to make all Government Hospital's essentially free (30 Baht for their service). I believe that those are the original reasons and might or might not be still valid.

The reason being is that the Tax generated, pays for road construction and maintenance.

That explains the state of the roads up here in Isaan and the north and probably anywhere outside Bangkok. Not enough luxury cars.

only a few hundret to thousand cars , peoples !!

this is nothing in comparison to 70 mill thai people !!

this is only 0,014%% promill !

this is nothing !!

bettor not to waste time for them;

Concentrate on the other 69.999.000 car owners,

rip off them and it brings you a TRILION thb;

The jails are just not big enought, the courts could not deal with the pending prosecutions, the system breaks down.

The DSI will continue going round in circles, cause no one wants to take responsibility for what should be a logical outcome to this scam.

It would take a decisive statement from the PM , on what course of action he intends to take, will this happen, no, why , too many influential people involved, and it may collapse the junta Govt !

I believe the following are the reasons for the High Tax on Vehicles in the Kingdom. For most new cars and trucks a 300% "road tax" is charged at time of purchase. For Luxury cars (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc.) in the Kingdom, the road tax is 600%. The reason being is that the Tax generated, pays for road construction and maintenance. I also believe that a Tax of 500% is imposed on Tobacco and Alcohol. The Government determined that Cigarette smokers and Alcohol drinkers spend more time in Hospital than those that refrained from those habits. So, that tax is used to make all Government Hospital's essentially free (30 Baht for their service). I believe that those are the original reasons and might or might not be still valid.

That might be correct for smokers and drinkers,

but for victims of exident with this cars,

usualy they dont need a hospital any more ( just need a red bull - thats it )

and drivers anyway save in this cars !

No surprises here. Of course the simplest way to curb the problem is to lower the tax rate to 70% for cars and parts. Even 100 %

would probably stop the problems. Of course the people who run this scam (well connected) will want the status quo to remain. coffee1.gif

agreed - this is not the place to exhibit farang logic or economic principles. You should know better.....

The jails are just not big enought, the courts could not deal with the pending prosecutions, the system breaks down.

The DSI will continue going round in circles, cause no one wants to take responsibility for what should be a logical outcome to this scam.

It would take a decisive statement from the PM , on what course of action he intends to take, will this happen, no, why , too many influential people involved, and it may collapse the junta Govt !

You are probably right. Let's see how many prosecutions and convictions come out of this investigation.