Amulets

iancnx

I have started to collect amulets, well Rians (coins) to be more specific. I am not in this for profit, the way I would explain it is a little like stamp collecting for those who thinks I am a nut in an area where fakes are common place. Eventually I intend to catalogue my collection on line with photos and English information about each Rian. I wondered if there were any other like minded collectors in TVF. The average cost of each Rian I hold is 50 baht, though I would (and have) spend several thousand on something of particular interest/significance.

If you can read Thai it could be worth following this guy on Facebook สมาคม พระเครื่องฯไทย ระดับโลก - Deva's Amulet Thai Society.

Unfortunately I don't and find it frustrating trying to get info in English as I am really interested in all aspects of amulets.

There are plenty of websites and blogs dedicated to Thai amulets and in English, usually run by Singaporeans. amuletforums.com is one, waynedhamma.blogspot.com/ is another. Just do a search on a rare amulet and see what comes up.

Yes, I am aware of those, and did join both, but they are pretty much commercially driven and you rarely get a response to novice questions unless there is a possibility of a sale of one of their own.

Likewise there are some Thai websites in English run by foreign experts, some run from outside of the country, others fronted up by a spouse, or perhaps Thai partnerships. They are ok for basic information on a liitl of the history and I sense they protect their information as it.can easily be copied for commercial gain. Of course it is illegal to export amulets from Thailand unless you have a licence. One or two such companies claim to have such licences.

The answer is to learn Thai and Pali, and if I am serious in my quest I need to extract digit.