How Much Time Left For Passport Needed For

OK, if you have an O visa and you keep going for one year extensions, at what point is there too little time left in your passport to get a new one year extension?

For example, lets say you go for your one year extension in January and your passport expires in August. That is over six months left for your passport but the visa extension would be good for longer than the passport. Obviously, you would have to apply for a new passport and transfer the visa before August. Would Thai immigration grant such an extension, or do they require that the passport expiry always be AFTER the passport expiry?

Thanks.

Your extention will be granted to the validity of your passport, only. A resp. remark put there.

Once you show up with the new p/port the extention will be transferred and the full 1 year applied.

When I went for my one year extension at Mae Hong Son in June, the officer pointed out that my passport expired in Jan 2008 so I would need to get a new passport before I came back next June (2007) as I would not have a year left.

I gathered from this that you must have at least the amount of time the extension if for, makes sense to me...

I would think this is going to be a different answer for each Immigration Office or even Imm. Officer but when I did my last extension last Nov. my passport was due to expire one week before the 1 year extension. ie. Passport expires Nov. 14th. 2006. Previous extension expired Nov. 22nd. 2005.

So my extension was granted up to Nov. 14th. 2006 with a little note in Thai, presumeably to that effect.

I did two 90 day reportings before I went to the embassy for a new passport, without any problems. I then took both the old and new passports to Immigration where they transferred the retirement visa to the new passport and added on the week so the expiry is once again Nov. 22nd.

I don't know if I could have left it longer to get the new pp. I oppted to get a new one before the biometric ones were introduced and the price went up.

This was done at the Pattaya office.