Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BACC) and funeral insurance

I have just opened an a/c with our local branch of the BACC, primarily for funeral insurance for my wife and myself. We are now covered for 200,000 baht each.

This complete, I am aware that the bank also requires you to take out a loan when you have an agricultural project and need cash. Not really interested in borrowing money but this is part of the deal with an a/c and the BACC. The minimum you can borrow is $10,000 baht, so if it comes to that, I'll just borrow 10k and return it the following year to stay in the system. If you don't borrow within a 5 year period, your a/c is terminated.

The BACC website has very little useful information. I don't know of any farang that has an a/c with the BACC and can't find any experiences on this forum.

Anyone have any personal experience with the BACC and the their requirement for you to borrow?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the loan requirement but when a friends mother died last year, BACC paid the B200,000 policy amount in full within a few days of her demise. There were no problems at all with any staff looking for backhanders or "administrative fees."

When my friend first told me that her Mom had been paying burial insurance for years and that she expected it to cover all funeral expenses, I thought: "Oh boy, here we go!"

I really was very surprised when it all went so smoothly.

I don't know about the loan requirement but when a friends mother died last year, BACC paid the B200,000 policy amount in full within a few days of her demise. There were no problems at all with any staff looking for backhanders or "administrative fees."

When my friend first told me that her Mom had been paying burial insurance for years and that she expected it to cover all funeral expenses, I thought: "Oh boy, here we go!"

I really was very surprised when it all went so smoothly.

There doesn't appear to be any issues with the funeral expense insurance. It's a system designed for the rural poor. Everyone in the village relies on it - as we all know - a funeral here can be very expensive. It works.