America is stretched to breaking point: watch the markets

webfact

If the US economy is doomed, so is the global economy. Where do you think most of the goods consumed in the US are made? Not much manufacturing left in the US, it has all been outsourced. The financial crisis of 2008 had its roots in the US but reverberated around the world. There could be another stock meltdown as occurred in 2008 -- but if you think the effects will be limited to the US, you have a very limited understanding of the implications of globalization.

• Like 2

If the US economy is doomed, so is the global economy. Where do you think most of the goods consumed in the US are made? Not much manufacturing left in the US, it has all been outsourced. The financial crisis of 2008 had its roots in the US but reverberated around the world. There could be another stock meltdown as occurred in 2008 -- but if you think the effects will be limited to the US, you have a very limited understanding of the implications of globalization.

I was watching a show on cable today. The commentator outlined how intertwined the global economy is. He said something like 40% of America's multi national companies revenues come from overseas. Europe catches a cold and America's going to sneeze.

• Like 1

I was watching a show on cable today. The commentator outlined how intertwined the global economy is. He said something like 40% of America's multi national companies revenues come from overseas. Europe catches a cold and America's going to sneeze.

Yes, and China gets 30% of its GDP from exports with the US being the biggest buyer. If the US stopped buying Chinese goods whether by edict or economic necessity China would collapse the next day.

China doesn't have the multinational companies per se. The last time I was on the Champs-Élysées in Paris, there was a McDonald's and a Burger King there.

Whoever said that there isn't much manufacturing in the US now doesn't know, but even then much of what it outsources it still owns the patents on and makes the real money.

But I agree we are a global economy and if Europe faltered the US would certainly feel it.

So yes we are very interdependent, but the US can feed itself and provide its own electricity and oil, and it would be the last one standing.

• Like 2

Yes, and China gets 30% of its GDP from exports with the US being the biggest buyer. If the US stopped buying Chinese goods whether by edict or economic necessity China would collapse the next day.

China doesn't have the multinational companies per se. The last time I was on the Champs-Élysées in Paris, there was a McDonald's and a Burger King there.

Whoever said that there isn't much manufacturing in the US now doesn't know, but even then much of what it outsources it still owns the patents on and makes the real money.

But I agree we are a global economy and if Europe faltered the US would certainly feel it.

So yes we are very interdependent, but the US can feed itself and provide its own electricity and oil, and it would be the last one standing.

Manufacturing in America. If one were to walk into a Wal-mart, K-mart, Costco, or Sam's Club, I think it would be a daunting task to find much that was made in the US with the exception of processed foods, drugs, dairy items, snacks, and soft drinks. Even what's left of the auto industry depends on components made outside the US. The items that I used to buy ten years ago because they were made in the US - like New Balance or Van shoes - have long gone the way of outsourcing to Asia. Even a Harley is made and assembled in Taiwan. Multi-national companies will always look for the lowest labor costs to maximize profits. It's the nature of global capitalism.

• Like 1

" The epidemic has been linked to dubious research and development of the virus by US researchers in West Africa. ".

Now the conspiracy theory is in the news as news.

I would not doubt it as fact, but citing sources for the claim would help considerably. Any search engine result inevitably leads to conspiracy theory web pages, replete with info on how US biological weapons testing agencies and bio warfare agencies have been operating in places like Sierra Leone, but so far no direct evidence of conspiracy to test biological weapons/warfare.

Go the Aussie dollar!

China just imposed new import duties on coal, which is, wait for it, the primary export from Australia to China... Sorry, but time to short the Aussie dollar...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/09/china-coal-idUSL3N0S41QP20141009

Go the Kiwi dollar!

You can't go wrong with a wool-backed currency...tongue.png

That comment is shear lunacy

• Like 2

one can see why the author is published on thaivisa. He seems way out of touch with reality.T

China will become the be World Leader at that point will the poor in Thailand be better off or the same?

I do not think he should worry America too much

I serously doubt China will be a world leader in our life time. If the Chinese on the mainland, get wind of the demonstrations in Hong Kong, and decide to do the same, China will implode.

Yes, that is one of the most biased reports I've seen about America. In my mind I pictured the journalist at a party with other American bashing revelers raising their glasses and celebrating Americas impending downfall.

Sounds like a student's thesis picked up as a slow news day page filler for a second rate rag.

US is second biggest exporter in world after China. Must be something more than just Kardashians I reckon. http://www.statista.com/statistics/264623/leading-export-countries-worldwide/

Ukraine is more a problem for Europe than USA. Duh. USA indirectly impacted of course.... but USA is energy independent (Gosh that sounds nice to say!).

Whole world should be concerned about Ebola. To act like it is bigger threat to USA than Europe or Africa is insipid.

Stock markets go up and down.

Was this article written for junior high take home test?

You are right. Whether anyone likes it or not, the USA is the worlds powerhouse for economic drive and innovation.

Everyone else, including China and the EU, feeds of the US.

When America crashes, the world crashes. When there is recovery America leads it.

BTW - wonder how good the Russian economy is these days? Strength of the rouble?

• Like 1

US is second biggest exporter in world after China. Must be something more than just Kardashians I reckon. http://www.statista.com/statistics/264623/leading-export-countries-worldwide/

Ukraine is more a problem for Europe than USA. Duh. USA indirectly impacted of course.... but USA is energy independent (Gosh that sounds nice to say!).

Whole world should be concerned about Ebola. To act like it is bigger threat to USA than Europe or Africa is insipid.

Stock markets go up and down.

Was this article written for junior high take home test?

You are right. Whether anyone likes it or not, the USA is the worlds powerhouse for economic drive and innovation.

Everyone else, including China and the EU, feeds of the US.

When America crashes, the world crashes. When there is recovery America leads it.

BTW - wonder how good the Russian economy is these days? Strength of the rouble?

The Ruble is at an all-time low versus the USD...I think 41:1 right now. That is a helluva deal if you want to travel to Russia. I was there in 2003 and the exchange was around 20:1 and even that was cheap. Pack your bags fellows and head to Moscow...there are loads of girls there just waiting to find a husband from a real Western country. wink.png

Edited by Scott
Reply moved out of the quote

half a dozen people in the US with ebola does not make a pandemic... talk about fear mongering..

Well a pandemic is a little too early in the piece.

But would you rather 6 or zero cases.

Just watch, if they don't get this sorted out quickly it will be 600/cases.

How there have been 6 cases at all is a worry anyway.

Manufacturing in America. If one were to walk into a Wal-mart, K-mart, Costco, or Sam's Club, I think it would be a daunting task to find much that was made in the US with the exception of processed foods, drugs, dairy items, snacks, and soft drinks. Even what's left of the auto industry depends on components made outside the US. The items that I used to buy ten years ago because they were made in the US - like New Balance or Van shoes - have long gone the way of outsourcing to Asia. Even a Harley is made and assembled in Taiwan. Multi-national companies will always look for the lowest labor costs to maximize profits. It's the nature of global capitalism.

The U.S. Census Bureau and the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, through the Department of Commerce, announced today that total August exports of $198.5 billion and imports of $238.6 billion resulted in a goods and services deficit of $40.1 billion, down from $40.3 billion in July, revised.

August exports were $0.4 billion more than July exports of $198.0 billion. August imports were

$0.2 billion more than July imports of $238.3 billion.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/international/trade/tradnewsrelease.htm

Results of daunting task. August exports of $198.5 billion.

With so much computer trading and traders making money on volatility, the guys on the inside are raking it in. Then along comes the gurus who see any market change and then look for an explanation for it in the latest news. Simple cause and effect analysis is fodder for news articles. If they had the answers they would be rich and enshrined in a mansion too busy sucking down cocktails to write such drivel.

It is a financial impossibility for the US to survive a financial crash. 17 trillion in debt, an expensive "war on terror" that has lasted more than 10 years and protecting big financial firms. Where is that money coming from? It has to blow, nowhere else to go. coffee1.gif Hey! It rhymes! w00t.gif

But what country has the balls to demand payment.......none...not China that's for sure.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The OP is simply stating what many others have already written about...the US has run up a debt that can never be repaid...printing money like there is no tomorrow which will someday end badly...

Americans and the world are being sold a multitude of lies concerning the US economy...unemployment...and the so-called recovery...

Any one of many events now going on in the world could be the tipping point to send the US economy...stock market...and US dollar into a tail spin...

This is not bashing...consider it a warning...prepare yourself...a day of reckoning is coming...

I agree with most of your post however every other major global economy is printing even more money, issuing more un-repayable debt and telling worse lies than the US is. When the day of reckoning comes the USD will be the last currency and economy standing, if in ruins itself...

The world has never experienced a massive money printing as we are seeing today...you could be right about the USD being the last fiat currency standing when the poop hits the fan...me thinks...going forward there will likely immerge a basket of currencies...the strongest survivors with some commodities like precious metals thrown in to form a more acceptable currency with an international flavor...at any rate many fortunes will be made...and lost during the transition period...

Where do you get your sit down comedy material? Harley outsources some parts, but you'd better tell Harley that their bikes aren't built in Milwaukie.

When the US outsources manufacturing, the low paid workers get a pittance and the companies still make the big bucks by selling the brand names. The countries in Asia are picking up the scraps.

The US is rendering most cheap labor obsolete with robotics. Think of the 3d printer and the ability to make clothing without human intervention. It costs money to ship raw materials to a 3rd world country and then ship the finished product back. No cheap 3rd world worker will work cheaper or longer hours than a robotic system. Those jobs are coming back. beacause it make good jobs to build and maintain the robots and the factory.

The Accord, Camry, Toyota pickups, Mercedes and BMW are all made in the USA along with other brands. So is the Honda Goldwing.

You couldn't make your post without using a US invented computer or operating system or the internet.

Dream on,while the US companies make the real money..

You might want to check this out:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/12/where-is-it-made-2014-harley-davidson-street-750-and-street-500/

What I do know for sure, in the early 1990's, my friend bought a new Harley and it said plainly on the body that it was made and assembled in Taiwan. As for robotics, it will ultimately reduce the number of workers and robots will service and repair the robots. The capital costs for robots for items like garments, shoes, and electronic goods will still make still make outsourcing preferable and more profitable for a long time.

As for inventions, they benefit the inventor. Where was your computer made? Where are i-phones made? Etc, etc. Can you show me that the number of manufacturing jobs in the US has increased in the last two decades? If so, what is being made?

Al Gore said he invented the internet, right? Is he getting royalties?

Is this supposed to be bad news? *Frowns*

The stock market is going to crash, I think I have never been happier in my life. Next months all cars regardless of brand will be on sale at 50% off, what's not to be happy.

Those who fear will always fear.

Me? Already prepared millions in cash, bring it on. Time for shopping. Done it every crash, been through it all, why's my networth richer and richer beyond words. *Yawns*

Where do you get your sit down comedy material? Harley outsources some parts, but you'd better tell Harley that their bikes aren't built in Milwaukie.

When the US outsources manufacturing, the low paid workers get a pittance and the companies still make the big bucks by selling the brand names. The countries in Asia are picking up the scraps.

The US is rendering most cheap labor obsolete with robotics. Think of the 3d printer and the ability to make clothing without human intervention. It costs money to ship raw materials to a 3rd world country and then ship the finished product back. No cheap 3rd world worker will work cheaper or longer hours than a robotic system. Those jobs are coming back. beacause it make good jobs to build and maintain the robots and the factory.

The Accord, Camry, Toyota pickups, Mercedes and BMW are all made in the USA along with other brands. So is the Honda Goldwing.

You couldn't make your post without using a US invented computer or operating system or the internet.

Dream on,while the US companies make the real money..

You might want to check this out:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/12/where-is-it-made-2014-harley-davidson-street-750-and-street-500/

What I do know for sure, in the early 1990's, my friend bought a new Harley and it said plainly on the body that it was made and assembled in Taiwan. As for robotics, it will ultimately reduce the number of workers and robots will service and repair the robots. The capital costs for robots for items like garments, shoes, and electronic goods will still make still make outsourcing preferable and more profitable for a long time.

As for inventions, they benefit the inventor. Where was your computer made? Where are i-phones made? Etc, etc. Can you show me that the number of manufacturing jobs in the US has increased in the last two decades? If so, what is being made?

Al Gore said he invented the internet, right? Is he getting royalties?

The US exported $198.5 billion dollars worth of products in August. How much did the little country that you come from export in August? If you are an American then you already know.

Edited by thailiketoo

Please Dear Santa, give me a 15,500 or a 15,250 and a 590 or 600 on the S&P 600 before year end and I promise to be a good boy. Small caps over corrected after an unimaginable torrid pace in recent years and I want back on an ETF train here, but only if index pushes a bit more into support for a nice bounce back.

I have been sitting on side lines since February waiting for a correction before I invested some new cash and looks like we are getting it before new year.

Good ole October! Both the hedge and alternatives needed this before I jump back in. I was just not feeling short term upside across the board when hovering at 17,XXX with all of the macro issues going on at the same time.

The micro is sound and the macro will pass or subside. Those of us purchasing at support levels driven by current macro events will experience a nice quick bounce, but you gotta play early as it won't sit at support for long before big bounces..

Once profits are taken, most will be right back in if for no other reason addiction to the game and easy money. The bounce off support will be a quick one.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 2

It is a financial impossibility for the US to survive a financial crash. 17 trillion in debt, an expensive "war on terror" that has lasted more than 10 years and protecting big financial firms. Where is that money coming from? It has to blow, nowhere else to go. coffee1.gif Hey! It rhymes! w00t.gif

But what country has the balls to demand payment.......none...not China that's for sure.

re energy than the United States does.

#39 The average household debt load in the United States is 136% of average household income. In China, the average household debt load is 17% of average household income.

I just took one. To let the others have some fun too.

post-187908-0-20304400-1413547230_thumb.