US actress Elizabeth Pena dies at 55

webfact

US actress Elizabeth Pena dies at 55

(BBC) US actress Elizabeth Pena, who appeared in films including Lone Star and Rush Hour, has died at the age of 55.

Pena was also known for TV shows like sitcoms I Married Dora and Modern Family, in which she played the mother of Sofia Vergara's character Gloria.

Other film credits included La Bamba, Jacob's Ladder, Batteries Not Included and Down and Out in Beverly Hills.

Pena's manager told the Associated Press news agency she died of natural causes after a brief illness.

The Cuban-American actress was a familiar face from her dramatic and comedic roles on the big and small screens.

She caught the eye in 1986's Down and Out in Beverly Hills, playing the maid Carmen alongside Bette Midler, Richard Dreyfuss and Nick Nolte.

She won the role, she said, by bribing a security guard at Disney Studios to let her in to see the casting director after an agent had told her she was not attractive enough for the role.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29641099

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-17

Elizabeth Pina was like the late William Holden in that each time you saw her on the screen you knew you were taking in the person herself.

Whichever her on screen character, she was always Elizabeth Pina and that was a very very good experience. Sort of like a Betty White.

Saw most of her movies and some of her television and will miss her entertaining presence..

Much too special and young so many thx to you.

Her latest role not mentioned as Mother of Tony the main Character on MATADOR , where he plays an undercover Govt. Agent pretending to play soccer , but happens to be very good at it after playing on the streets . An is nicknamed the show's title.

A very talented actress , R i P !

One of my favorite movie scenes:

In Lone Star (which I think is one of the best US movies of the 1990s) Pena's character is in the kitchen of a Mexican restaurant arguing with the virago who owns the place. The old woman storms out, and one of the waitresses asks "She's your mother?"

Pena nods her head.

"I'm sorry!" says the waitress.