• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11.45 Mbps download is that OK?

Panama

In 2012, Internet users in Panama represented 45.2% of the country’s population, growing 91.6% over the prior 5 years. Speed test results for 2013 showed an average of 3.11 Mbps download

Drummondville (Quebec)

Speed test results for 2013 showed an average of 11.45 Mbps download and 6.36 Mbps upload speeds across all mobile, tablet, and desktop devices tested.

Edited by thailiketoo

For my purposes, it is fine. Have 3bb and I have been able to transmit between 1 and 2 TB in a given month. In Canada they would have disconnected me by now tongue.png

I would like more upspeed though: Currently have two 16/1 ADSL lines load balanced.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Panama

In 2012, Internet users in Panama represented 45.2% of the country’s population, growing 91.6% over the prior 5 years. Speed test results for 2013 showed an average of 3.11 Mbps download

Drummondville (Quebec)

Speed test results for 2013 showed an average of 11.45 Mbps download and 6.36 Mbps upload speeds across all mobile, tablet, and desktop devices tested.

Our resident Thai apologist is now trying to defend internet speeds in Thailand, LOL. Please OP stop this Thai bashing.

Panama

Drummondville (Quebec)

11.45 would be superb if it were international, but it isn't - even those with 50Mb Business Fibre packages only get 2Mbps international, which is awful in this day and age.

The speed of isp's in thailand as with everything else here is backward to say the least it's part of the learning curve that one has to deal with amongst many other issues that one is not accustomed to,no anger but more laughable and a good conversation point.

Panama

Drummondville (Quebec)

11.45 would be superb if it were international, but it isn't - even those with 50Mb Business Fibre packages only get 2Mbps international, which is awful in this day and age.

From Thailand to Dallas I get 1.75Mbps.

Panama

Drummondville (Quebec)

From Thailand to Dallas I get 1.75Mbps.

I get 3.39, but it's still a joke - I pay for 50, business grade Fibre with TOT (unfortunately my only option - they wouldn't even bring the line unless I took a business package) - costs over 4000 baht a month. Only other option is an ancient TOT ADSL line that can support 7mb within Thailand and requires repair twice a week.

Back home (UK) with a 50 Mbps package I get 50Mbps internationally with unlimited bandwidth on a decent consumer package at around 1500 a month. Worse still is latency in Thailand at 350ms.

I know Thailand has limited international bandwidth, but it could be invested in to bring it up to international standards, it just hasn't been.

Those posting Singapore speeds - great but how many sites hosted in Singapore do you use? I know it could be leveraged with a VPS to proxy traffic but still never going to get any faster than the connection to Singapore - ie 10% of the package when Thai ISPs only have to get a packet a few hundred km away.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

I know Thailand has limited international bandwidth, but it could be invested in to bring it up to international standards, it just hasn't been.

It's not like international pipe widths are static: http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/bandwidth.iir?Sec=bandwidth

In your case, you should be talking to your TOT office - I get far better speeds on their own Winet service, which is only rated at 20mbps. Other poster here with 3BB numbers are also using TOTs IIG's.

Something else is wrong - it's not just limits of their IIG's that are slowing you down - you're being hit by another bottleneck for sure.

Edited by IMHO

They admit they throttle it, and that speeds are guaranteed only within Thailand (I get a constant 50 to BKK) with no guarantee for international speeds - had them out a few times (being fair they come within a couple of hours each time) to try to get them to improve it by virtue of pestering them but never got it faster internationally. Will keep trying.

They admit they throttle it, and that speeds are guaranteed only within Thailand (I get a constant 50 to BKK) with no guarantee for international speeds - had them out a few times (being fair they come within a couple of hours each time) to try to get them to improve it by virtue of pestering them but never got it faster internationally. Will keep trying.

Ref Throttling - any idea how much international data you consume each month? Perhaps you've been flagged as using well over the average, and in turn TOT are minimizing their losses by throttling you?

Note: me saying that doesn't mean they actually do throttle excessive users, just a theory ;)

Edited by IMHO

Ref Throttling - any idea how much international data you consume each month? Perhaps you've been flagged as using well over the average, and in turn TOT are minimizing their losses by throttling you?

Always been like it, I had it installed 6 months ago and the speeds been constant - in terms of bandwidth, a reasonable amount - probably 60 - 100gb a month or so, vast majority international.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

3BB in Jomtien. ADSL. I got 8.5 Down and 0.44 Up just now. 632 TBT/month. Better than nothing. Up to you.

I get 50 Down and 10 up *in Thailand*, which is what you are quoting - not a cat in hells chance you get that internationally on a 600 baht a month consumer ADSL package.

Always been like it, I had it installed 6 months ago and the speeds been constant - in terms of bandwidth, a reasonable amount - probably 60 - 100gb a month or so, vast majority international.

2-3GB of international data per day is hardly small usage, and will be costing them: http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-relative-cost-of-bandwidth-around-the-world/

However, if it's always been like that, I go back to the bottleneck being somewhere between you and the IIG's...

Are you using this over WiFi or ethernet?....

Edited by IMHO

2-3GB of international data per day is hardly small usage, and will be costing them: http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-relative-cost-of-bandwidth-around-the-world/

However, if it's always been like that, I go back to the bottleneck being somewhere between you and the IIG's...

Sure - not pretending it is - but for a business grade package at 8x the cost of consumer, I think it's a fair and expected usage. Comparing it against how other ISPs worldwide handle similar traffic levels for similarly priced packages, the service is well short.

I use WiFi - decent grade routers though.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Sure - not pretending it is - but for a business grade package at 8x the cost of consumer, I think it's a fair and expected usage. Comparing it against how other ISPs worldwide handle similar traffic levels for similarly priced packages, the service is well short.

Perhaps you should sign up for their Winet service and do a side by side comparison? With all the posts I've seen complaining about fiber speeds, it could just be related to that actual medium...

I can attest to how WiFi deadspots can work - centimeters can be the difference between good and terrible speeds for me.

As a test, you should try an ethernet connection, just to eliminate WiFi as a factor. It could be as simple as a the router getting a little too warm..

Perhaps you should sign up for their Winet service and do a side by side comparison? With all the posts I've seen complaining about fiber speeds, it could just be related to that actual medium...

Thanks for the tip - will check to see if it's available round here, never seen it advertised

I can attest to how WiFi deadspots can work - centimeters can be the difference between good and terrible speeds for me.

As a test, you should try an ethernet connection, just to eliminate WiFi as a factor. It could be as simple as a the router getting a little too warm..

Bit fiddly for me since no machines with an ethernet port these days biggrin.png - have to get an adapter. Wouldn't I get less than 50Mb domestic if WiFi were the issue though?

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Bit fiddly for me since no machines with an ethernet port these days biggrin.png - have to get an adapter. Wouldn't I get less than 50Mb domestic if WiFi were the issue though?

If you're still getting 50mbps on a domestic speed test, that would appear to eliminate a WiFi deadspot.. But it could be a bad MTU setting too - which can work well for domestic data but fall apart as international packets lag/drop.

Have you tried adjusting that? On my TOT connect, I had to drop MTU to 1450 to get consistently good international speeds.

• Like 2

If you're still getting 50mbps on a domestic speed test, that would appear to eliminate a WiFi deadspot.. But it could be a bad MTU setting too - which can work well for domestic data but fall apart as international packets lag/drop.

Have you tried adjusting that? On my TOT connect, I had to drop MTU to 1450 to get consistently good international speeds.

Just amended it - some oddness - Using Speedtest to Dallas shows ping reduced to 273 from c 350, but it reports 0.13Mbps - that said, when actually checking international sites they certainly load faster.. Will give this a go for a while. My MTU was set to 1492 by default