Change of Employment and NON-B?

I'm currently in the process of an employment change in Thailand. I'll be leaving my current place of employment to work elsewhere while still living in Phuket. I currently hold a NON-B visa from my previous employer and I was wondering if I was able to remain in Thailand with my current non-b visa while my new employer puts together paper work for a new non-b and work permit. I have heard that the work permit is attached to the visa and once you hand in your work permit you have seven days to do a visa run (60 day tourist visa) until the new non-b/work permit paperwork is ready. Can anyone help me out here? Now, I have heard from someone that your NON-B is valid regardless of whether or not you canceled work permit. My NON-B visa doesn't expire until July 2015 and I scheduled a visa run for this sunday. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Edited by joeh158

There is no 7 days unless you apply for a 7 day extension on the date you cancel your extension of stay.

Your new employer needs to apply for your work permit before your current job ends. After the application is done the work permit office will issue a application approval letter. The work permit can be applied for but it will not be issued until your existing one is cancelled.

On the date your job ends and your existing work permit is canceled you will need to cancel your existing extension of stay and apply for new one using the approval letter for the work permit and documents from your new employer.

Being able to use the approval letter instead of a work permit is new in clause 2.1 of immigration order 138/2557 for documents required for extensions. So all the above is the way it should work now.

From clause 2.1

"4. Copy of work permit (in the case of change of workplace, an acknowledgment of application may be used).

My NON-B visa doesn't expire until July 2015 and I scheduled a visa run for this sunday. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Do you have a multi-entry non-imm visa, or an extension of stay ?

Ok, I have the extension of stay stamp up to May 28, 2015 (not July 2015, sorry). My previous employer didn't notify me of anything regarding a cancelation form. I'm operating under the assumption that once I handed over my Work permit I would have to go on a Visa run for a 90 day tourist visa which would cancel my current non-b until the paper work gets in order for the new employer. Should I just go on the visa run and try to obtain the tourist visa while my paper work for my new employer is be worked on?

Ok, I have the extension of stay stamp up to May 28, 2015 (not July 2015, sorry). My previous employer didn't notify me of anything regarding a cancelation form. I'm operating under the assumption that once I handed over my Work permit I would have to go on a Visa run for a 90 day tourist visa which would cancel my current non-b until the paper work gets in order for the new employer. Should I just go on the visa run and try to obtain the tourist visa while my paper work for my new employer is be worked on?

You also don't have a non 'b' if you are on an extension.

Assuming you are not a teacher, then best your new employers gets the WP application filed and a Letter of Approval' issued by Labour.

You then can take the correct paperwork to a Thai Consular Facility like Penang and get a new Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' visa which will give you a 90 day entry and allow you to pick up your WP and start work as soon as you have it.

If going to Penang the best choice would be multi-entry visa because that allow you stay legally in country for a longer time in case your work permit is cancelled or there are issues in getting an extension of stay.

If going to Penang the best choice would be multi-entry visa because that allow you stay legally in country for a longer time in case your work permit is cancelled or there are issues in getting an extension of stay.

You need a Work Permit with 8 months validity to get a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa in Penang.

You need a Work Permit with 8 months validity to get a One Year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa in Penang.

What about applying for multi-entry with a letter of approval as you mentioned before. I guess that would be OP's case as he's getting a new job.

What about applying for multi-entry with a letter of approval as you mentioned before. I guess that would be OP's case as he's getting a new job.

That does no work to get a multiple entry visa. Not the same rules as getting an extension of stay.

I gave you the procedure procedure for doing a change of jobs. But since you have already stopped working that will not work.

If are leaving at a border crossing and have a valid extension of stay (it is not a visa) without a re-entry permit they may not allow you to leave because it has not been cancelled.

The proper way now is to either get a letter from you employer stating the date your job ends to have your extension. Or cancel the work permit yourself and the cancel your extension using the cancellation documents.

That does not work to get a multiple entry visa. Not the same rules as getting an extension of stay.

Ok, pls clarify again the work permit requirements for non-imm 'B' visa in Penang. Beside all the other documents one needs

For non-imm B single entry

Letter of approval ?

or

Work permit? how many months validity ?

For non-imm B multi entry

Letter of approval ?

or

That does not work to get a multiple entry visa. Not the same rules as getting an extension of stay.

Ok, pls clarify again the work permit requirements for non-imm 'B' visa in Penang. Beside all the other documents one needs

For non-imm B single entry

Letter of approval ?

or

For non-imm B multi entry

Letter of approval ?

or

For a single entry non-b a letter of approval or a valid work permit with no minimum time,

For a multiple entry only a work permit with a validity of 8 months or more will be accepted.

Ok thanks ubonjoe.

From that, the logical path for those that can't obtain or do not want an extension of stay for reason of employment.

apply for wp -> get letter of approval -> penang for single non-b -> get work permit -> three months go by -> penang for multi non-b. -> border hops every 90 days.

Ok thanks ubonjoe.

From that, the logical path for those that can't obtain or do not want an extension of stay for reason of employment.

apply for wp -> get letter of approval -> penang for single non-b -> get work permit -> three months go by -> penang for multi non-b. -> border hops every 90 days.

Correct.

I have changed jobs twice here.. might be different as it's not in education.

On both occasions it was just easier to leave the country come back and start again. My current employer actually advised me to do it even though I still had 8 months left on my B Visa.

Also had to go to Immigration cancel my B Visa as I had left my job as it had multiple re-entries on it.

On both occasions it was just easier to leave the country come back and start again. My current employer actually advised me to do it even though I still had 8 months left on my B Visa.

Also had to go to Immigration cancel my B Visa as I had left my job as it had multiple re-entries on it.

You did not have a B visa you had an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit.

Calling an extension a visa just creates confusion in topics such as this one.

You did not have a B visa you had an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit.

Calling an extension a visa just creates confusion in topics such as this one.

I think the Ministry need to change the wording on the website.

I am no expert on this, you will probably school me on it. Just this is my experience this is how I did it.

post-208485-0-03483600-1413797374_thumb.

Edited by wow64

No need to change the wording because that is info for obtaining visas.

You probably got a single non immigrant B visa that allowed you to get a 90 day permit to stay on entry. You then extended that permit to stay for one year at immigration and got a multiple re-entry permit.

A visa only allows you to enter the country and get the permit to stay allows. Once you are in the country you are on a permit to stay not a visa.