Thailand agrees to British police help over murders

Lite Beer

A quote from today's Bangkok Post from a man that might have something to hide:

"Allowing the UK team to conduct an investigation is tantamount to a breach of our sovereignty," Pol Gen Somyot.

It actually isn't though. It's being helpful, honest, open and friendly.

• Like 1

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are several possibilities now that they have approved the UK to get (involved).

In my first I think it will be a "dog and pony show" with the UK police being given the polices (evidence?) without any real investigation done independently.

The DNA samples can already have been (hehee) mislabeled at both ends being from samples taken inside the deceased and of the 2 Burmy men.

But let's say the police are good, really good and get through the RTPs BS and find out the men are REALLY the scapegoats the world is questioning and not the killers? What then?

Do you really think the UK police will go public and destroy Thailands image along with some of its main income (tourism)? Surely not! Instead they may insist the men get off on a technicality or other such reason that does not hurt this country, Gen Prayuth, and the RTPs (hehee) image.

I think any evidence that would have shown these men are innocent will surely have been changed to enforce the polices charges against the men. Any other situation leaves too much to chance to make Thailand look bad to the rest of the World. Something Gen. Prayuth is desperately trying to stop from happening since his coup.

Also, if the police do find this is all a cover-up to hide the real killers who are influential? How will justice be brought to them?

If Thailands main culture is "saving face" and their biggest fear is "losing tourists $$) then any situation which opposes their finding now will be swept under the carpet or handled secretly so as not to hurt Thailand.

Even an independent investigation.

Re: the DNA. Right at the start, the police sent the samples to Singapore, which is when they determined that the DNA was asian. I'll take it to assume that this is the original, untampered sample. The two accused seemed to have been tested early on, but there was no mention of them being a match. This happened much later. I would have thought that it would be easy to take a new swap and compare with the initial dna taken from Hannah. Surely this is key evidence. Without it, confessions and other tampered evidence really mean nothing. Now the accused have retracted their plea, and other Burmese witnesses have been released as they know nothing, then this could get interesting.

Clearly the RTP is not to be trusted in Koh Tao or anywhere, at the risk of sounding like an RTP apologist the RTP are not the power on the Island and are as terrified of that power as the other locals are.

The true Koh Tao power can only be taken down by political will and the Army.

I look forward to the comments or report by the British Police.

I wonder what Cameron said to Prayuth

Nothing is going to change much. UK police have no authority outside of their own country. They can only work within what Thai authorities allow. Pretty much what going to happen is Thai police will give the brits some tour, show some evidences, let them re-verify the evidences, take some of their opinions, and at the end they will agree with Thai police on most things. Case resolved. Basically just a show to satisfy interests of both sides. Nothing more than politics.

And do you also have next week's lottery numbers?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Pretty big deal in the scheme of things and doubtless some face lost, especially for the weak UK 'ambassador' to Thailand with his praise for the police's handling of the investigation. They'll get the runaround, no doubt, and it'll be like working with tetchy teenagers, but if the Thais do sandbag this (foregone conclusion) they could be looking at some interesting travel advisories.

Some people have to find something negative in everything!

I'm sure Mark Kent was involved in getting this result and I don't see he has a problem with the size of his gonads. If you don't have anything nice to say it's best to say nothing at all.

• Like 2

OH YEAA

This is what we wanted all along, objective reached.

BIG thanks to everyone who made a fuss and helped get the word out.

For once its one up to the good guys. clap2.gif

It's not over till the fat lady sings!

You misquote.

"It ain't over 'til da fat lady sings."

That's the way the mafioso say it.

You say it like a toff.

And you answer like a troll----nothing to say about the terrible subject of two people murdered?

Just never forget...Thaksin and Chalerm were or still are high ranking RTP. Both committed or covered up many crimes.

Nothing has changed. Their ranks are full of these types of ego maniacs.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

whether they have a limited or unlimited role in the investigation the British police will smell a rat if there is one

people out here are useless at hiding things, as this case has proven so far

this is the best thing we could've hoped for

A good result and likely that Thai PM had a serious conversation with Police about what it's likely that the UK Police likely to find...

I believe its a good thing, but to those screaming about the Thai investigation, hope if the UK police and DNA results come back the same that this can be put to bed...

Honestly I have no idea which side is right, so good to have second set of eyes looking in, but just because the Thai Police have issues and there are questions in this case... Does not mean these guys didn't do it...

Will be very interested in results of UK Police investigation

• Like 1

Pretty big deal in the scheme of things and doubtless some face lost, especially for the weak UK 'ambassador' to Thailand with his praise for the police's handling of the investigation. They'll get the runaround, no doubt, and it'll be like working with tetchy teenagers, but if the Thais do sandbag this (foregone conclusion) they could be looking at some interesting travel advisories.

Some people have to find something negative in everything!

I'm sure Mark Kent was involved in getting this result and I don't see he has a problem with the size of his gonads. If you don't have anything nice to say it's best to say nothing at all.

Kent didn't praise the police, that was more <deleted> from the BIB

This must mean that the PM believes that the Burmese guys are guilty and they the Thai police have done a competent investigation otherwise there is no way he could he silly enough to let the UK come and do their own investigation, unless he thinks the UK are too stupid to find out the truth or that the case has been so corrupted that the UK cannot get to the truth i.e. If the original DNA from the victims has been replaced

Was it actually confirmed the DNA sample went to Singapore?

Ask yourself the same question.

If everything was proper & in order would the RTP not have been scraeming the fact from the rooftops.

The fact that you need to ask the question answers the question.

This is a step in the right direction but I struggle to see the UK Police being given the necessary freedom to independently asses the evidence or to be able to ask serious questions to certain influential Thai's.

I fully expect the Thai authorities to try and do everything in their power to sandbag the investigation and deny any requests which may jeopardise their so far "perfect" investigation.

I suppose time will tell.

• Like 1

OH YEAA

This is what we wanted all along, objective reached.

BIG thanks to everyone who made a fuss and helped get the word out.

For once its one up to the good guys. clap2.gif

It's not over till the fat lady sings!

Well, the mother in law was singing this morning!

the UK police are to arrive within weeks...may all be too late by then!

This must mean that the PM believes that the Burmese guys are guilty and they the Thai police have done a competent investigation otherwise there is no way he could he silly enough to let the UK come and do their own investigation, unless he thinks the UK are too stupid to find out the truth or that the case has been so corrupted that the UK cannot get to the truth i.e. If the original DNA from the victims has been replaced

True. It could be the other way round though, he could be using the UK cops to throw dirst at his own cops and then use that as an excuse to sack the cops that were involved then say he was lied to

• Like 1

Very good! This is not a loss of face, but a gain I respect. Thailand is finally acting smart. The Thai police can even learn something. British investigators are some of the best in the world and most police forces around the world can learn from them. Thailand needs more skill and technology transfer in most areas, and should never say no to the opportunity. S-Korea and Japan built their early success on learning from the United States. Now look where they are.

Has anyone seen any photos of this meeting between Prayuth and Cameron. The general is desperate for international recognition at this Milan get together with loads of pics with him and the usual suspects from SE Asia. That he has had a meeting with a G7 leader yet no photos have been released speaks volumes.

Simle answer to that. it was a phone call or behind closed doors

It was face to face according to the OP. Also no mention of this in the Thai press that i can see though obviously details have been given from the UK side.

I would think this is a ratchet up of pressure from the UK side after the Thai govt basically denied that their top diplomat in London was summoned. I would be fairly confident that the Thai PM did not instigate this meeting, especially given the lack of reporting on the Thai side - basically an "Oi - i want to talk to you" from the UK PM.

Will be interesting to see what happens next.

• Like 2

Even though this is a good sign, showing that people and social media can make a difference, reading between the lines tells me they only want to check the DNA match and do a flimsy check on mistreatment. Firstly, 5 weeks or so should have been enough time to mess about with the samples and swap them to get a match; secondly, the rape could have happened post mortem what means the killer and the rapists are two pair of shoes. The article does not mention the shallow stab wounds on David's body, Sean with the bloody guitar and similar stab wounds is not mentioned, the fat bloke with the shark tooth ring is not mentioned, etc... I fear the case will continue to go south, because the questions that should have ben asked were not asked by the "diplomatic source" whoever that is... sad.png

Edited by catweazle