SRT to buy 118 new airconditioned sleeper cars

Lite Beer

SRT to buy 118 new airconditioned sleeper cars

10-17-2014-10-53-53-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand has recently signed a contract with BBC Joint Venture to procure 115 airconditioned sleeper cars at a total cost of 4.6 billion baht to improve its services.

Transport permanent secretary Mrs Soithip Traisut said today that the procurement deal was part of the infrastructure development master plan for the years 2013-14 which would require 176 billion baht in total investment.

She pointed out that most of the sleeper cars currently on service had been operational for many years and they have aged. The new sleeper cars will help improve the SRT’s services, she said.

The first lot of 28 sleeper carriages are expected to be delivered in August next year and the rest will be delivered by 2016, said MrVirojTriampongphan, deputy governor of the SRT.

He added that the new sleeper cars would enable the SRT to compete with tour buses and air service and, more importantly, will generate more revenue for the SRT.

As for the 20 new locomotives which have already been bought, the first two locomotives are expected to be delivered by the end of this year with the rest to be delivered next June.

Also, the SRT plans to procure 186 new diesel carriages for second-class service for long- and medium-distance routes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/srt-buy-118-new-airconditioned-sleeper-cars/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-18

• Like 1

I use to love to travel by train here in Thailand. Not so much any more. Condition of the cars is not so much the problem as keeping to their schedule is just not done now. I would go out to the station a few minutes before it was time to board and the damn thing might be two hours late. It was not uncommon at all.

Can't say that I enjoy sitting around a train station.

• Like 1

"... the new sleeper cars would enable the SRT to compete with tour buses and air service ..."

Why should a state-owned transporartion enterprise be allowed to compete with private enterprise? The State should only provide a minimallly affordable and SAFE service at minimum cost for citizens who cannot afford the more costly but reliable, comfortable private service. If it draws business away from private enterprise, it also draws away TAXABLE REVENUES that in turn are used to provide the very service that private enterprise MUST COMPETE AGAINST.

"... the new sleeper cars would enable the SRT to compete with tour buses and air service ..."

Why should a state-owned transporartion enterprise be allowed to compete with private enterprise? The State should only provide a minimallly affordable and SAFE service at minimum cost for citizens who cannot afford the more costly but reliable, comfortable private service. If it draws business away from private enterprise, it also draws away TAXABLE REVENUES that in turn are used to provide the very service that private enterprise MUST COMPETE AGAINST.

fidel_chaves.jpg

See my friend - that is what I am talking about right there - you have to deal with S--- like this all the time. Damn fox news.

And perhaps instal a thermostat or some means of controlling the temperature. Every time I have travelled in an air con carriage the temperature has been far too low, with ALL the passengers looking like Nanook of the North (If they had the foresight to bring winter clothing with them!) I have even asked a guard to adjust the temperature, or contact someone who could and got the standard get out "No can do" answer. Even opening the door between carriages resulted in an angry guard closing it again! P.S. I always sleep with aircon at home, so I do like a cool bedroom, but I don't like sleeping in a fridge!angry.gif

And perhaps instal a thermostat or some means of controlling the temperature. Every time I have travelled in an air con carriage the temperature has been far too low, with ALL the passengers looking like Nanook of the North (If they had the foresight to bring winter clothing with them!) I have even asked a guard to adjust the temperature, or contact someone who could and got the standard get out "No can do" answer. Even opening the door between carriages resulted in an angry guard closing it again! P.S. I always sleep with aircon at home, so I do like a cool bedroom, but I don't like sleeping in a fridge!angry.gif

That is true. I tried the Aircon once and needed three blankets, but it was still cold. Since then I take the regular fan compartment, preferably upper, and in the middle of the coach, as I do not like the noise of the automatic sliding door, or to sleep next to the restrooms. During the last twelve years in TH, it happened to me one single time, that the train was on time. I always travel the 169 and 172 travelling from/to HDY to/from BKK. Those trains are in between one and three hours late, but it does not bother me, as I know it. But you can't beat the price of 555 THB for the sleeper, and the main thing is, you can stretch your legs better than in any bus.

• Like 2

That is true. I tried the Aircon once and needed three blankets, but it was still cold. Since then I take the regular fan compartment, preferably upper, and in the middle of the coach, as I do not like the noise of the automatic sliding door, or to sleep next to the restrooms. During the last twelve years in TH, it happened to me one single time, that the train was on time. I always travel the 169 and 172 travelling from/to HDY to/from BKK. Those trains are in between one and three hours late, but it does not bother me, as I know it. But you can't beat the price of 555 THB for the sleeper, and the main thing is, you can stretch your legs better than in any bus.

Also very true, and also much safer than the bus/minibus! When I first came to Thailand many years ago, the trains ran on time - what's happened?

• Like 1

Also very true, and also much safer than the bus/minibus! When I first came to Thailand many years ago, the trains ran on time - what's happened?

I suppose, that there is more traffic on the rails, than 10 years ago. The "Rapid" waits a couple of times at night at siding places, to let other trains pass (in both directions). The more traffic, the more time the train needs, to reach its destination.

• Like 1

I suppose, that there is more traffic on the rails, than 10 years ago. The "Rapid" waits a couple of times at night at siding places, to let other trains pass (in both directions). The more traffic, the more time the train needs, to reach its destination.

Makes sense, but very frustrating - my wife needs to get to B/K early to catch the markets and now has to get a bus/minibus as the train times are so unreliable. By the way, thanks for the feedback!

90% of maintenance budgets, along with all other budgets, may have been lost in the post. Only to be delivered to the Benz dealer next to the station.

Clearly the condition of the permanent way makes a complete overhaul urgent. Unless SRT are going to start from scratch on the system, which would be hugely expensive and probably require the assistance of the Chinese both technically and financially, they are stuck with the old metre-gauge track. Even upgrading that, and double-tracking on main lines, would require considerable funds with little hope of return on investment for a private operator, so the State would have to step in.

Faced with competition both from faster and cheaper road transport and low-cost airlines, it is only freight, both domestic and, increasingly, international, that really makes the case for investment in rail.

Just a quick note I use train 174 regularly to travel from Phrachaup to Bangkok the last 3 occasions its been about 50 minutes late which suits me as it should arrive at 05.10 am, however on the occasion prior to that to everyone's amazement it seemed, it arrived bang on time ugh!

My point However is new carriages same old staff last Friday I caught the 22.50 pm aircon DRC special express train returning from an international flight.. comfortable cleanish and on time, I was paranoid about sleeping and missing my stop ,lucky that! as trying to get off was a different matter in PKK , train staff disappeared sleeping i suppose doors would not open door ,controls inoperative or broken, god help if there had been an accident .. luckily I managed to run to front and drag the driver out to open the doors, which he did by opening a box on the wall saying the big green "open door switch did not work", and I was deposited about 200 metres outside the station.

the guy at the station told the Mrs. that it was not the first time this had happened!

• Like 1