Poll says news media is dominated, needs reform

Lite Beer

Poll says news media is dominated, needs reform
9-10-2557-15-02-071-wpcf_728x389.jpg

Bangkok Poll says Thai news media is not independent but dominated by corporations and politicians, and it needs reform.

The latest survey released by Bangkok Poll was conducted from 1,088 people of all ages across the country during October 15-16.

It said 91.8% of the people it asked followed news from televisions, 35 % from social media, namely FaceBook, Twitter, and 34.7% from websites.

The poll revealed that 86.6% agreed that news presentations by the media have significant influence in directing the thoughts of the people.

Information from television news received the most trusted news media or 55.1%.

When asked on the independence of news media from domipinance by coporations and politicians, 64.8% say most news media was dominated, not independent, and can be bought.

But 26.2% saw the opposite, saying news media is not dominated, is independent, and can’t be bought, while 9.0 % voiced uncertain.

The poll aso said majority of people or 54.4% viewed that Thai news media is not politically neutral.

Asked on whether news media needed reform to ease current conflicts, 78.5% say yes, while 16.4% says not necessary, and 5.1% not certain.

In conclusion, the poll said 89.9% of people viewed that news journalist need to pass examination before getting permits to work same as other profession that needs permits such as doctor and lawyer.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-says-news-media-dominated-needs-reform/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-18

• Like 1

Thai media is also mindful of draconian defamation laws and how reporting certain issues, naming names etc can be injurious to LIFE and limb.

I somehow don't think that giving the media some sort of protection from defamation laws is quite the sort of reform they are aiming for with this poll which has a faint whiff of 'political' manipulation about it.

So - what else is new ? In the Western World and in many other places around the globe... what used to be an institution that help to protect the ideas of accountability of government and of big banks and promote fairness to the people and help preserve the rule of law ... has turned into Political Alignments to preserve the ruling Government against the people ... all the while pretending to be a 'voice of the people' ... Around the world IMO - News Media simply cannot be trusted to be reporting the TRUTH... not even close... The News Media in the United States has become nothing less than the equivalent of PRAVDA of the Soviet Union ... So expecting Truth to be reported in Thailand by the various news media outlets is WISHFUL THINKING... A return to Truth in News Media is not going to happen in your lifetime..

• Like 2

Thai media is also mindful of draconian defamation laws and how reporting certain issues, naming names etc can be injurious to LIFE and limb.

True

But that does not justify false headlines and lack of investigation as to the reality of what they print.

Asked on whether news media needed reform to ease current conflicts, 78.5% say yes, while 16.4% says not necessary, and 5.1% not certain.

I will make no bones about it. I am not even a sideline fan of Thai polls I fully agree with that one. They were bound to get some thing right sooner or later.

Did any one read the article it said

Information from television news received the most trusted news media or 55.1%.

No mention of any particular station. I would take that to mean all of them. But of course I am not standing inline to kiss a fugitives ass. So I reasoned it out.

Edited by northernjohn

We already know that NIDA polls are basically a mouthpiece for the yellow/dem side of the political divide - which highlights the susceptibility of polls being hijacked by vested interests - so someone should see which side 'Bangkok Poll' s bread is buttered before hanging much importance on any of their results.

• Like 1

"It said 91.8% of the people it asked followed news from televisions, 35 % from social media, namely FaceBook, Twitter, and 34.7% from websites."

It's customary that a breakdown of poll results equals 100% of respondents. But this poll the breakdown equals 161.5%. Maybe Thailand polls on news media also need reform.

There are two piese of good news for the Junta.

1) Major Thailand television stations are owned and controlled by the Royal Thai Army or government. Thus, their content is the easiest and quickest to control. For example, Gen. Prayut has ordered that "soap operas" be re-written to dispel notions of family disputes, crime, and intrigue so as to only reflect good Thai family values, peaceful reconciliation, and national patriotism. Anything on cable that reports news (ie., CNN, Al Jezeera) contrary to contributing happiness to the Thai people are simply cutoff. And to make sure the public receives the correct news, the Junta through Gen. Prayut makes regular broadcasts itself.

2) The Junta abolished the 2007 Constitution (created by coup #12) that guaranteed personal and news media freedom of speech with no current replacement that makes it easier to arbitrarily dictate what will be news fact.

Television and newspapers are not about disseminating news. They are about viewing and readership numbers. They will only show news items that are going to increase their viewing/readership numbers and that is simply to maximise revenue.

The mass media is owned by gigantic financial and industrial corporations which control the levers of power through the politicians and presidents their funding puts into power. It reflects their view of the world and furthers their interests.

So. . . no point in expecting to get the plain, unvarnished truth from your national newspapers or television news channel.

Luckily, these long-established forms of communication are becoming increasingly outmoded - as well as discredited - dinosaurs puffing and panting to keep up in an age of instant communication via smartphones and handheld computers hooked up to the world wide web.

For a more comprehensive view of what is really going on across the planet (or even in just your own backyard) there are now dozens of independent Internet channels devoted to bringing their particular take on the latest news, current affairs and major international issues to your fingertips.

I typically start my day with a quick glance at a couple of UK online papers (one pop, one quality), followed by the Bangkok Post and the Nation. If any of the content particularly interests me, I do a quick flip through the alternative sources in my Favourites file which might give me a more complete picture. It is surprising how many different versions of the "truth" there can be.

If you at all interested in looking beyond the national dailies and regular TV channels, I would highly recommend, for international news: Truthout, News-Cloud UK, Truthdig, Counterpunch and The Global Realm therealnews and Democracy Now for global news from a US perspective. For Thailand and Asia generally, Pando Daily, New Eastern Outlook, Prachatai English and Asia Times Online are worthy of mention.

Some sites major on written reports, others on video footage, and many offer both. An excellent example of the genre is RT, a Russian Internet news channel in English with a UK politician and several US media celebrities among its celebrity presenters. Or why not go the whole hog and get the ayatollahs' view of the world by visiting the Iranian Press TV website?

Most of the independent news and current affairs websites have links to other similar sites. It is fascinating to follow one story by going to various sources (as I did with the shooting down of the Malaysian jetliner over Ukraine) and discover how much one is not being told by the domestic mass media.

Digging for the truth behind the headlines and sound-bites is a bit like being a detective, painstaking work and incredibly rewarding. But it's also very addictive, so don't say I didn't warn you!

I, like an earlier poster, was utterly confused by the percentage figures adding up to well over 100%.

Anyway, what really intrigued me was the final sentence recommending journalist had to pass an examination before they can practise.

Examination by whom?. The Ministry of Truth or something similar?. That is a very worrying throw away statement

• Like 1

I somehow don't think that giving the media some sort of protection from defamation laws is quite the sort of reform they are aiming for with this poll which has a faint whiff of 'political' manipulation about it.

laugh.png