BA in Tesol - Thongsook, any others?

There are other programs where you can study, in an international program (e.g. in English), study for a bachelor degree, or even a degree specific to TESOL (I know Chula has programs for this, and assume other universities do as well). Although I don't personally know of any others like Thongsook (e.g. Only have to attend classes during the school holiday period, and just do coursework via correspondence during the rest of the year).

Just a side comment here but any falang looking to study for an undergraduate degree in Thailand might be best advised to study for a STEM subject rather than a softie arts degree if they are looking into the future for potential employment. Yes, I know some will be a little irate and say that one should study that which inspires the most enthusiasm, follow one's desires, be creative and so on. But quite frankly none of this pays the bills. There are an awful lot of peope in this world who are now saddled with paying back student debt for a course which led nowhere or then there is that great saying about certain degrees in the UK. 'From stocking shelves in Sainsbury's to stocking shelves in Sainsbury's in three years.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if I'll get an answer here, but I paid the initial 15,000 tuition fee for Thongsook, but sent mails to cancel soon after before any ed visa or application was made.

Not sure of their refund policy, can't find it on their site and I've sent multiple emails but nobody replies.

I even got a mail the other day saying I've missed payments, but I'm not even enrolled!

15k is no small amount, but even if it's non-refundable it'd be nice to get a reply stating this instead of nothing. Kinda feels like I've been ripped off.

Edited by mynameisphil

I'm not sure if I'll get an answer here, but I paid the initial 15,000 tuition fee for Thongsook, but sent mails to cancel soon after before any ed visa or application was made.

Not sure of their refund policy, can't find it on their site and I've sent multiple emails but nobody replies.

I even got a mail the other day saying I've missed payments, but I'm not even enrolled!

15k is no small amount, but even if it's non-refundable it'd be nice to get a reply stating this instead of nothing. Kinda feels like I've been ripped off.

Why not call them?

+66 87 541 9896

I got my refund after getting accepted on a degree course back home in the UK at the last minute (Thongsook deduct 3,000 baht for admin) so you should get 12,000 back. Although it took over a month (about 5 weeks I think).

I would put everything in an email and then call to check they've got it etc. I don't think they are con men though, I got my cash back.

• 2 months later...

I got my refund after getting accepted on a degree course back home in the UK at the last minute (Thongsook deduct 3,000 baht for admin) so you should get 12,000 back. Although it took over a month (about 5 weeks I think).

I would put everything in an email and then call to check they've got it etc. I don't think they are con men though, I got my cash back.

Cheers, been mailing for weeks, most just get ignored or I'd get replies asking me to register for classes (<deleted>) although Bruce finally said he'd sort it out after I sent him a few.

Then suddenly I get a mail saying I'm 18,000 baht behind in fees. :/

Not sure how since I've never attended, nor got an ed visa, not registered for any term or class etc.., literally just paid the initial fee/paperwork.

Sent mails back to Bruce but haven't got replies for a week.

Absolute nighthere, I'll give them a ring later and see if that helps, do I ask to speak to anyone in particular?

A guy on Facebook said he knows a lot of people tryna chase up refunds and stuff but to no avail, but if you managed it then I guess it just takes perseverance.

If I gotta go down to Bangkok in person I'll chase it up.

What pisses me off is they were all super helpful and replying to enquiries then as soon as I let them know I couldn't take the course.. silence. No answers. Like if they don't reply it doesn't count or something.

Edited by mynameisphil

Cheers, been mailing for weeks, most just get ignored or I'd get replies asking me to register for classes (<deleted>) although Bruce finally said he'd sort it out after I sent him a few.

Then suddenly I get a mail saying I'm 18,000 baht behind in fees. :/

Not sure how since I've never attended, nor got an ed visa, not registered for any term or class etc.., literally just paid the initial fee/paperwork.

Sent mails back to Bruce but haven't got replies for a week.

Absolute nighthere, I'll give them a ring later and see if that helps, do I ask to speak to anyone in particular?

A guy on Facebook said he knows a lot of people tryna chase up refunds and stuff but to no avail, but if you managed it then I guess it just takes perseverance.

If I gotta go down to Bangkok in person I'll chase it up.

What pisses me off is they were all super helpful and replying to enquiries then as soon as I let them know I couldn't take the course.. silence. No answers. Like if they don't reply it doesn't count or something.

I dunno mate. Sorry to hear your having problems. I just emailed him and although it did take about a month, I got my money in the end.

The refund policy used to be up to me, the Director of International Programs.

NOW its up to the Thai admin.

Is that all that needs to be said?

Its no fun for me either.

I was pretty liberal and understanding. They... are not.

Edited by brucetefl

The refund policy used to be up to me, the Director of International Programs.

NOW its up to the Thai admin.

Is that all that needs to be said?

Its no fun for me either.

I was pretty liberal and understanding. They... are not.

You got back to me multiple times, thanks, but never mentioned any of that above, just passed the mails on to Justin asking him to sort out the refund repeatedly.

So what does this mean now?

Who do I need to contact?

Thanks.

Edited by mynameisphil

I am trying to get that information, too.

I know they made me change the intro info for all new students explaining that the first 15,000 is an administrative fee and is non refundable.

Keep in touch and try to be patient. The term starts in a few days and I will try to get some answers.

I am trying to get that information, too.

I know they made me change the intro info for all new students explaining that the first 15,000 is an administrative fee and is non refundable.

Keep in touch and try to be patient. The term starts in a few days and I will try to get some answers.

Ok, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates Bruce?

The Mrs has the Thongsook family name funnily enough. Is it worth getting her to call and speak to someone? Apparently her uncle or someone distant is part of the school, family but not close, no idea, but I'm wary of letting her get on the blower, not sure whether it'd be disrespectful or something, I dunno. Or it'd make me look bad within the family maybe? Honestly no idea how these things work within Thai circles.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Edited by mynameisphil