Shopping for a Nice Silk Scarf

junglechef

Want to buy a present for my Aunts 80 Birthday, going to party and want to bring something from Thailand. Thinking silk scarf but as I'm not an expert on older women's wear so any suggestions will be appreciated, thinking around 3000 bht range.

Know there are Jim Thompson stores but wondered if they are priced for the tourist and I can do better elsewhere.

Maybe at the Shinawatra Store across from KSK but would like a local find, even drive to a factory outlet etc.

Thanks,

JC

Jon--there is a shop off of Nimmenhaemin called Cosmos which sells pretty neat stuff. Howard-one of the co-owners, designs scarves and has them printed in very limited quantities on high quality silk. You can google Kaliedoscarves to look at some of the patterns.

• Like 1

I've met Howard at a friend's place (I won't name names but thanks for outing me facepalm.gif ) and saw some of the early samples and am a "friend" of their FB page. Been wanting to check it out, thanks for the reminder, I'll stop by and see if they have any Thai inspired work.

Edited by junglechef

There is a shop that sells very nice silk scarves in the Night Bazaar - been there for years. Sorry name totally escapes me.

In main Night Bazaar building (up steps). On the right hand side about 50m from the front. She also has the shop in the front unit but her really nice scarves are in the shop just behind which is her original unit.

• Like 1

There are several shops on the road on the east side of the Ping River -- the road with the Riverside Restaurant and Goodview Restaurant that have high-end silk scarves. They are on the opposite side of the road from those restaurants. They have excellent selection and will package the scarf in a beautiful box, too.

Sop Moei Arts is one of the shops. You'd be supporting local hilltribe artisans with your purchase.

http://sopmoeiarts.com/product-category/scarves/

• Like 1

Oh, and knowing a number of women in their 80s, I'd like to offer the opinion that a nice, silk scarf from a favorite nephew living in Thailand would indeed be a very suitable gift. Especially, if the scarf had a nice "backstory" about how the nephew was supporting underprivileged people with his purchase.

Women with gray and white hair are often fond of deep blues and purples, maybe magenta. Strong jewel tones to show off white hair.

• Like 1

There is a shop that sells very nice silk scarves in the Night Bazaar - been there for years. Sorry name totally escapes me.

In main Night Bazaar building (up steps). On the right hand side about 50m from the front. She also has the shop in the front unit but her really nice scarves are in the shop just behind which is her original unit.

i think that's the Muslim lady who has been there for years. OP you can buy a scarf for 3K Bath, but if you send a Thai friend to shop for you, the same scarf will be 550 Bath. 100% high-quality Thai silk. Seen the Japanese pay 2500 then a Thai comes along and pays 550. no joke.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh, and knowing a number of women in their 80s, I'd like to offer the opinion that a nice, silk scarf from a favorite nephew living in Thailand would indeed be a very suitable gift. Especially, if the scarf had a nice "backstory" about how the nephew was supporting underprivileged people with his purchase.

Women with gray and white hair are often fond of deep blues and purples, maybe magenta. Strong jewel tones to show off white hair.

I had you in mind when I posted this inquiry, thanks for the insightful addition

Edited by junglechef

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i think that's the Muslim lady who has been there for years. OP you can buy a scarf for 3K Bath, but if you send a Thai friend to shop for you, the same scarf will be 550 Bath. 100% high-quality Thai silk. Seen the Japanese pay 2500 then a Thai comes along and pays 550. no joke.

3000 bht was just a reference point so I wouldn't get suggestions of 100 bht fake silk stuff that would fall apart. Now that I know the price point I can hold my own pretty well and pay what it's worth. Thanks for the inside line.

3000 bht was just a reference point so I wouldn't get suggestions of 100 bht fake silk stuff that would fall apart. Now that I know the price point I can hold my own pretty well and pay what it's worth. Thanks for the inside line.

600-1000 Bt will get you a very nice scarf at the shop mentioned above.

Get one of the thicker weave ones, they will hold their shape longer and not so prone to snagging.

600-1000 Bt will get you a very nice scarf at the shop mentioned above.

Get one of the thicker weave ones, they will hold their shape longer and not so prone to snagging.

I went in search for the shop mentioned above but couldn't find it. Does anyone know it's name or could possibly give me more exact direction please.

cmsally you mention the "main" building but as one not familiar with the area too well which is that?

Coming up the street in the direction that the traffic goes I saw three entrances, all on the left side, starting with Pavilion Night Bazzar (which is next to McDonald's) and has 4 steps to ascend from the street. Next is the Kalare Night Bazaar and finally Anusan Market.

Which if any of these are the main market that which you refer?

Or when you say "On the right hand side about 50m from the front" do you mean on the right hand side of the street (the Pantip Plaza side)?

Or as you say upstairs are you talking about a second level somewhere that I didn't even see?

Also perhaps explaining what you mean by the front unit would help me find it.

Anyone know if the shop in the back of the mentioned front unit is open in the daytime?

Appreciate any help

Thanx, JC