Possible to apply for retirement visa within the US?

I know these visa details have been repeated endlessly, but I'm uncertain on a specific point.

I've been in and out of Thailand for years on employment visa obtained by employer. Now retired and married to Thai residing in USA. We made last couple to visits on a NonImm O (valid 1 yr/stay of 90 days). Now we plan to relocate to the Kingdom long-term. I've read that retirement visas are easier than marriage visas to extend etc. so will probably go that way.

So now I'm in the US planning travel to Thailand and need new visa. I can apply for another NonImm O and change it to a retirement visa in Thailand as so many advise. But I wonder, what about just applying for the retirement visa at the Thai consulate in the US? Granted I don't know how I would obtain a police clearance or a medical certificate, but it seems like it should be possible.

Anyone ever accomplish this before?

Thanks!

I have done that twice, with the most recent time just last month. I find the process easy and straight forward.

The Thai consulate in LA provides a list of everything needed, including a printable copy of the form needed for the medical certification. I just printed it out and took it to my doctor and he was happy to sign it.

To obtain the criminal report I have gone to the local county courthouse and for twenty dollars they print out a record covering a check for felonies and misdemeanors that the consulate accepts. I reside in WA and they allow me to obtain this via their on line site as well, which I did for my most recent visa.

I careful put the original and three copies of all the documents in separate piles in identical order of documents, send the entire package in per the consulate website instructions and in a bit over a week my passport is returned with a fresh multi entry retirement visa.

To meet the website financial requirements I go to my bank and ask for a letter from them on their letterhead stating my account balances as of that date.

Additionally, when I have had questions in the past, I have found the Thai consulate in LA to be professional, knowledgeable, polite, easy to reach and willing to answer my questions. I have also had good success in dealing with the Thai embassy in Washington D.C.

In that we return to Thailand each year I like getting the retirement visa before departing which means I am beholden to no one when we enter the country except for making the 90 day check ins.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

Yes, you can apply for an O-A visa in the USA.

Where are you located in the USA?

For example if you're not in California, the Thai embassy in D.C. might be the place to apply.

An O-A used strategically can allow for about a two year stay in Thailand as each entry gets a new one year stay for the original validity of the visa.

Be aware that eventually you will be applying for annual retirement extensions in Thailand if you are living long term in Thailand, unless you choose to always come back to the USA to apply for new O-A visas.

• Like 2

Great information. smile.png I would like to avoid all the running around required to change the visa type in Thailand.

I used the Embassy in DC previously, but am now located near Chicago. The website for the Chicago Thai Consulate does not have the downloadable medical form that is on the LA website. I was thinking of applying in person is Chicago. But if I apply by mail can I use the LA or DC consulates?

Great information. smile.png I would like to avoid all the running around required to change the visa type in Thailand.

I used the Embassy in DC previously, but am now located near Chicago. The website for the Chicago Thai Consulate does not have the downloadable medical form that is on the LA website. I was thinking of applying in person is Chicago. But if I apply by mail can I use the LA or DC consulates?

If you're near Chicago you should definitely use Chicago, as I assume they still offer O-A visas.

In case there is still a choice, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you choose the multiple entry option for your O-A visa.

I heard before that was all that was offered anymore but from the Chicago website, there is this:

Non-immigrant

Category O-A

(retiring) 90 days

1 year $80 Single 3 months $200 Multiple 1 year

As far as needed forms, just contact the consulate for details of needed forms if not on website.

Tip: assuming you're moving to Thailand for the long haul, you should consider what will be EVENTUALLY needed for future applications for annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand. For example, while still in the U.S. now is a good time to make sure you've got the mechanics set in place with your U.S. banks to be able to transfer money into Thailand later, assuming you will be using a bank account method.

Many U.S. expats like to use Bangkok Bank in Thailand because then they can do international transfers without using the SWIFT system, via domestic ACH transfers going to Bangkok Bank New York and then Thailand. (No, you don't open an account in New York, only Thailand). Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank that offers this special method.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Spokane Al--It says on the LA website that the bank info, police check, and med clearance have to be notorized. Did you sign all these documents and have YOUR signature notorized? Or did you get the signatures of the doc, bank official, and someone at the courthouse notorized?

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip about Bangkok Bank! I had seen that recommendation before and am all set up for free ACH transfers. It works exceptionally well. Better than constant visits to the ATM getting cash advances from a credit card.

But that brings up a point about the income requirement. All the posts about extending a retirement visa require B800,000 in a Thai bank (or income letter from US consulate etc.) But the Thai Embassy website requirements for an O-A retirement visa look like they only require the equivalent of B800,000 in a US bank. Is that correct?

Yes, for the O-A visa in the U.S., if qualifying based on bank account, money in the USA is totally fine (and usual).

LATER, when applying for annual extensions in Thailand, you will need to meet the same rules as everyone else.

So if using the 800K in bank (or combo method, mixing income and bank) the banked money MUST be in a THAI bank. Also there will be seasoning requirements as well, two months for the first extension and three for all later.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, you can apply for an O-A visa in the USA.

Where are you located in the USA?

For example if you're not in California, the Thai embassy in D.C. might be the place to apply.

An O-A used strategically can allow for about a two year stay in Thailand as each entry gets a new one year stay for the original validity of the visa.

Be aware that eventually you will be applying for annual retirement extensions in Thailand if you are living long term in Thailand, unless you choose to always come back to the USA to apply for new O-A visas.

"Be aware that eventually you will be applying for annual retirement extensions in Thailand ..."

I can apply for another NonImm O and change it to a retirement visa in Thailand

As JT said above, whether you enter on a non-imm O or a non-imm O-A (sometimes called a retirement visa) you will eventually be applying to immigrations for an extension of stay based on retirement, not another visa.

On a non-imm O you would apply for the extension about 60 days after you enter the country whereas with the non-imm O-A you can put it off to almost two years if you work it right. The O-A will allow you the freedom to exit and re-enter Thailand as you please until the expiry date printed on the visa. Otherwise exiting and re-entry will require a re-entry permit or you'll find yourself back at square one.

Edited by Suradit69

Note that the financial requirement for getting the initial visa in the States isn't restricted to bank accounts. In Canada, I keep just a small amount for regular bills in my bank account, but I've used copies of several month's statements from my brokerage that show I maintain an investment value greater than the required amount for Thailand. That way I don't need to have cash for the visa.

This only applies for the visa obtained in your home country, not for the visa extension and permission to stay that you get in Thailand.

Edit: for "notarization" I've had my bank manager simply sign as a Commissioner of Oaths, and it's always been accepted. I get her to sign everything, at least once, along with my own duplicate signatures on everything.

Edited by JusMe
  • Like 1

In case there is still a choice, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you choose the multiple entry option for your O-A visa.

I heard before that was all that was offered anymore but from the Chicago website, there is this:

Non-immigrant

Category O-A

(retiring) 90 days

The website is know to be incorrect. Non-imm "O-A" is multi entry only. Not available single entry.

As mentioned this stuff has been asked and answered I guess some thousand times.

Edited by paz

Non-immigrant

Category O-A

(retiring) 90 days

The website is know to be incorrect. Non-imm "O-A" is multi entry only. Not available single entry.

As mentioned this stuff has been asked and answered I guess some thousand times.

Yes, it is not uncommon for websites to be incorrect. However, in the past O-A's were offered as single entry and you can find here old posts of people who accidentally didn't get multiple and were burned/surprised later.

Cheers.

Yes, it is not uncommon for websites to be incorrect. However, in the past O-A's were offered as single entry and you can find here old posts of people who accidentally didn't get multiple and were burned/surprised later.

I didn't knew, thanks for clarifying.

Spokane Al--It says on the LA website that the bank info, police check, and med clearance have to be notorized. Did you sign all these documents and have YOUR signature notorized? Or did you get the signatures of the doc, bank official, and someone at the courthouse notorized?

This past instance I did not get the med cert notarized and had no problem. In the year previously I did have the doctor obtain a notarization of his signature (luckily they had an independent notary on the premises.) The courthouse document is signed by an official of the courthouse which also worked just fine.

I think that the consulate is confused a bit when asking for the bank info to be notarized. In the states a notarization merely means that the notarization official did his/her best to verify the identity of the person signing the document. The notary renders no opinion on the validity of the information in the document. So for the bank info, a letter on the financial institution letterhead signed by a bank officer worked for me.

Plus, I found that bank or financial institution with an employee/notary would not notarize another of their own employee's signature. In their opinion that would be a bit incestuous.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Manassas

Don't forget to plan for your medical coverage here in Thailand. Would be great if your U.S. policy also covered costs here. Mine does, at about 80%, I pay upfront then send in the bills for reimbursement.

Mac

Important point Mac. Luckily I did a lot of research before retiring so we would be ok in either country. Lucky because on our last visit my wife required some minor but emergency surgery. I paid the bill upfront. After retuning I sent a claim to my insurance company. To my surprise they paid 100% without a question.

Cheers

A question on getting 2 years validity, if you work it right, on an O-A acquired in the States. Say the visa validity starts on Jan 1 2015(validity starts when you arrive in LOS?) and you leave and re-enter December 30, 2015. You would get stamped in for another year, until December 30,2016. Are you still receiving multi entries or where those only for the 2015 year? I guess what I am asking is in the second year (2016) you cannot leave and re-enter and get another 12 months of validity on the original visa forever. The visa has to end sometime! The part that has me confused is when it's stated ( in TV) "you leave and when you return you get stamped for another year"

A question on getting 2 years validity, if you work it right, on an O-A acquired in the States. Say the visa validity starts on Jan 1 2015(validity starts when you arrive in LOS?) and you leave and re-enter December 30, 2015. You would get stamped in for another year, until December 30,2016. Are you still receiving multi entries or where those only for the 2015 year? I guess what I am asking is in the second year (2016) you cannot leave and re-enter and get another 12 months of validity on the original visa forever. The visa has to end sometime! The part that has me confused is when it's stated ( in TV) "you leave and when you return you get stamped for another year"

Never mind guys ...I goy my answer on the other thread thats running!

There would be no visa type to change if you get a non-o before traveling. You could get a single entry non-o based upon marriage. Then just apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry one short trip to immigration is all it would take. No medical or police check needed.

You would just need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or an income affidavit from the embassy proving 65k baht income or a combination to the two totaling 800k baht.

You could also apply by mail to Chicago. Some people suggest the embassy because they do not require the documents be notarized. http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=Non_Immigrant_Long_Stay

Joe- the link you gave is Washington and they do not ask for notary as you say...but you mention Chicago who does ask for notary...

Thanks for all the time and effort you (and many others) put in to help people like me who are making one of the biggest steps of our lives!!

In fact, the OA Visa (Retirement) can "only" be done in the country of residence. No choices with that.

The 90 day O (based on retirement) can be done in almost any consulate. The one year extension is then done at Immigration inside Thailand

You may also convert to the 90 day O at some Immigration offices (Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and maybe some others). I believe that they stopped that in Pattaya.

The 90 day O (based on retirement) can be done in almost any consulate. The one year extension is then done at Immigration inside Thailand

In your home country you can only get the non-o based upon being 50 or over at an honorary consulate. Embassies and official consulates will not do them. Even getting them from an honorary is not possible in some countries.

Since the OP is married to a Thai he can easily get one at the embassy or one of the official consulate by post.

I wanted to post a link to info on the Chicago consulate but they have very little info on their website about the OA visa just a short blip mixed in with other visa info.

Yes Joe, it looks like Washington is the best choice due to no notarization. Just another thing you do not have to worry about. If you would be mailing the application, like I would , the visa will arrive back to you at the same time no matter which office you use (except for maybe more time to approve due to that office's work load...but we have no way of knowing that!).

If you apply for an O-A at the Consulate in Los Angeles or Chicago the documentation (police report, medical form and bank / income proof) will have to be notarized. If you apply at the Embassy in Washington or Consulate in New York there is no notary requirement

Anyone, regardless of where you live, can use the Embassy in Washington, but if you want to use any of the three other consulates then you are limited to their geographical restrictions as listed on their web site

The reason you are forced to obtain and O-A multiple entry instead of a single entry is because the Thai government wants $200 US for their trouble in issuing them; not profitable enough to process the same exact paperwork for a single entry at half the price

• Like 1