Possible to apply for retirement visa within the US?

I did a "retirement" visa for my mother 2 years ago via the LA office. Easy peasy. The hardest thing was the medical cert. I was in a very small town and they just laughed at some of the tests being done. I can't remember which one it was, but it caused quite a bit of humor amongst the staff.

Where will you be living here in Thailand? That will decide which immigration office you have to use. I was with a friend last week who is somewhere in Issan, not sure where, but I'll find out. He said they are asking him for proof of his 65k per month income. That doesn't happen here in Pattaya, but might in other offices?

Joe: have you heard anything about this???

If you apply for an O-A at the Consulate in Los Angeles or Chicago the documentation (police report, medical form and bank / income proof) will have to be notarized. If you apply at the Embassy in Washington or Consulate in New York there is no notary requirement

Anyone, regardless of where you live, can use the Embassy in Washington, but if you want to use any of the three other consulates then you are limited to their geographical restrictions as listed on their web site

The reason you are forced to obtain and O-A multiple entry instead of a single entry is because the Thai government wants $200 US for their trouble in issuing them; not profitable enough to process the same exact paperwork for a single entry at half the price

Concerning your point on the notarization requirement via the LA consulate - that is not true. I just obtained a retirement visa last month via that consulate with no notarizations.

• Like 1

I did a "retirement" visa for my mother 2 years ago via the LA office. Easy peasy. The hardest thing was the medical cert. I was in a very small town and they just laughed at some of the tests being done. I can't remember which one it was, but it caused quite a bit of humor amongst the staff.

Where will you be living here in Thailand? That will decide which immigration office you have to use. I was with a friend last week who is somewhere in Issan, not sure where, but I'll find out. He said they are asking him for proof of his 65k per month income. That doesn't happen here in Pattaya, but might in other offices?

Joe: have you heard anything about this???

There are a few rogue offices that ask for back up proof for income letters, affidavits and etc. Phuket is one. The majority of offices don't ask.

I have used 7 income affidavits and never been asked. But if they did I could pull out a bank book that shows it coming in every month.

1. Chicago is an official Consulate and appears to be where you currently reside so should be used.

2. As said all O-A visas are now multi entry (for last several years) when issued in USA.

3. You may want to check medical insurance - if government there are Fee-for-Service Plans (<deleted>) for those living outside US (national coverage) but most insurance served locally will cover vacation type (part time) overseas - it may not cover full time out of area..

If you apply for an O-A at the Consulate in Los Angeles or Chicago the documentation (police report, medical form and bank / income proof) will have to be notarized. If you apply at the Embassy in Washington or Consulate in New York there is no notary requirement

Anyone, regardless of where you live, can use the Embassy in Washington, but if you want to use any of the three other consulates then you are limited to their geographical restrictions as listed on their web site

The reason you are forced to obtain and O-A multiple entry instead of a single entry is because the Thai government wants $200 US for their trouble in issuing them; not profitable enough to process the same exact paperwork for a single entry at half the price

Concerning your point on the notarization requirement via the LA consulate - that is not true. I just obtained a retirement visa last month via that consulate with no notarizations.

Well if LA has eliminated the notarization requirement that is welcome news and you are the first to announce it. So now Chicago is the only one enforcing that outdated requirement in the US

After looking at the Embassy and consulate websites, they all talk about the O-A long stay for persons over 50 (retirement). There's no mention of the long stay based on marriage to Thai national. I guess that doesn't come up as much outside Thailand.

I think I will follow the majority opinion on the posts I have read and opt for the retirement versus marriage visa.

After looking at the Embassy and consulate websites, they all talk about the O-A long stay for persons over 50 (retirement). There's no mention of the long stay based on marriage to Thai national. I guess that doesn't come up as much outside Thailand.

I think I will follow the majority opinion on the posts I have read and opt for the retirement versus marriage visa.

There is only the OA long stay visa based upon retirement there is none for marriage.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai at immigration here. You would only need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income.

Some people like to say it is much harder to get than an extension based upon retirement. It is is just a little more paper work and then going back after 30 days to get the final extension stamp. Many find that the extension based upon marriage is better than showing double the money in the bank and an additional 25k baht income needed for retirement.

I have done 7 extensions based upon marriage I have found it not that difficult to do.

• Like 1

The elimination of the notarization requirement is not reflected on the Visa instructions at the Royal Thai Consulate- Los Angeles web page:

Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***)

1. Four visa application forms |Download|

2. Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).

3. Four copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application. Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.

4. Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download|

*5. Four copies of:

- applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)

- or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht

- or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht a year.

(When submitting the bank statement, a letter from the bank verifying the account and balance is to be presented)

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence. The verification must not be more than three months old.

*7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor. The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.

8. Effective Immediately - The visa fee for Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa is $200 - payable by cashiers check or money order only made payble to "Royal Thai Consulate General - Los angeles"

If the applicant's spouse will be accompanying him or her, a copy of the applicant's valid marriage certificate must be presented as supporting documentation. If the applicant's spouse is not qualified for the retirement visa (e.g. not age 50+), the spouse will be considered for the Non-Immigrant Visa Type “O” or Temporary Residents.

source: http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

Well if LA has eliminated the notarization requirement that is welcome news and you are the first to announce it. So now Chicago is the only one enforcing that outdated requirement in the US

I do not understand how you can call the notary requirement outdated. That is a Ministry of Foreign affairs requirement not a local one. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

You can find the notary requirement on about every embassy and official consulate website worldwide.

I do not understand how you can call the notary requirement outdated. That is a Ministry of Foreign affairs requirement not a local one. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

You can find the notary requirement on about every embassy and official consulate website worldwide.

Probably the same reason that certifying that the applicants does not suffer from Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis on the Medical Certificate is outdated

And you will not find the notary requirement on the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington web site, or the Royal Thai Consulate New York web site as two examples of not about every embassy and official consulate websites worldwide

And you will not find the notary requirement on the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington web site, or the Royal Thai Consulate New York web site as two examples of not about every embassy and official consulate websites worldwide.

I already new about those two but they are the only ones that I know of that don't have it.

Outdated to me in the context used means that it is a requirement that is longer required.

I copied this off the Washington Thai Embassy web site:

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.
So do you have to acquire a re-entry permit fro immigration? I thought you already had this when you received your passport back from the Embassy with the new O-A stamped in it?

Recommendations for foreigners with Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) while staying in the Kingdom

Upon arrival, holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 1 year from the date of first entry. During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void.
So do you have to acquire a re-entry permit fro immigration? I thought you already had this when you received your passport back from the Embassy with the new O-A stamped in it?

No, they're totally wrong.

Hilariously so.facepalm.gif

If you're staying on an O-A visa multiple entry, you automatically get a new full one year upon each entry during the ORIGINAL validity of the one year visa. No new reeentry permit needed as you've already got a MUTIPLE when you get the O-A in D.C.

Now, LATER, when you're staying on an entry AFTER the original validity of one year O-A visa and continuing on when you start getting annual retirement extensions, starting then you must obtain reentry permits if leaving the country (single or multiple options).

Example, you get your O-A and exit and enter again one day before the original expiration of the original visa. You'll get a new one year from that entry date. If you want to travel again during the that new one year, then yes you'll need a reentry permit then. NOT during the original validity period of the O-A.

Edited by Jingthing

That is technically true. What they are not saying is that as long you re-enter by the "use before" date, you will be allowed for one year again, because it's a multi-entry visa. Then after the "use before date" has passed, you will need a re-entry permit and be bound to the "allowed until" date.

Apparently once upon a time there was a single entry version of the non-imm 'O-A' visa, but after gone they never bothered changing the verbiage.

Edited by paz

That info is outdated and is for a single entry OA visa that they no longer will issue.

All OA visas are now issued as multiple entry visas. A re-entry permit is not needed for the first year up to the date the visa expires. After the visa expires you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep the last one year entry valid.

That's what I thought. It's really strange they don't update their site. I guess it's TIT in the U.S. too!

It's nothing new that Thai embassies abroad often don't have a clue about INTERNAL Thai immigration matters. Out of sight ... and all that jazz.

You know what would surprise me? If that in error text isn't STILL THERE in 5 years time.

Edited by Jingthing