Is Pattaya really on the bones of it arse at the minute?

ryro88

It just might be that there are plenty of people but they are collectively spending less.thumbsup.gif

Quite right. The mongers that used to spend up large are being driven away and replaced by Chinese tour groups and Indians that spend very little.

It would be interesting to see the occupancy rate in monger hotels over the past 10 or so years.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourism is the lifeblood of Pattaya and I'm not sure how empty houses in residential areas determine whether Pattaya is "on the bones of it's arse"

I arrive next week and have been trying to book my favourite accommodation places but most of them are fully booked, especially over the Xmas/New Year period. I think this is more indicative of Pattayas popularity than empty residential housing.

You can't determine anything based on high season. It's always been full then, but in the past also many mongers in low season, but are they still coming then? I think not in the same numbers.

Are Russians still coming? I just can't believe they aren't feeling the economic pinch by now.

They are getting slaughtered by oil prices, sanctions, and now the Ruble has fallen to almost 50 to the USD.

Russians do feel the pinch, and it shows. Ruble has lost 30% since March, when events in Ukraine got under way.

Oil prices at $75 is a true disaster for Russia.

This past summer 2 of the Russias largest travel agencies folded, large operators with offices all over country.

And this shows in Pattaya. Far less Russian tourists than same time last year.

The Russian tour operators here, people you see trying to give out flyers to day trips to river Kwai and to islands are suffering badly, nobody to give flyers to!

That is not exactly what I call well-managed villages. Have a look for example at Green Field Villas - you won't find any empty houses there.

By the same token Phil, compared with about 2 years ago (the last time I was earnestly searching house listings in Pattaya), there were zero properties from any of the Green Field villages. Now there's at least 4 popping up on realtors listings and I have seen a couple that have 'For Sale or Rent' signs hanging over a back wall so they can be seen from the main road.

Sign of the times maybe but I don't see it as 'the end is nigh' scenario yet. More like the average punter is doing a fiscal downsize, either selling up and leaving the country or moving himself to a cheaper, secondary property and renting out the 'palace' depending on how HIS arse bones are looking. Broke bloke goes home, savvy bloke downsizes and switches to drinking Archa. For every single well-managed village, there must be at least 10 ghettos especially among the older developments either side of Nernplubwan and Khaonoi.

I have no clue what the perpetually moribund but allegedly vibrant condo market is like. I mean there's loads of new shiny towers attracting lots of attention but there's still megaloads of crumbling, mostly empty edifices to remind us of the shoddy construction and zilch city planning that still prevails.

12 months ago,the property Im renting there would be no chance at what I am paying,and looking around a good third,or even half are empty up for rent or back to the bank owned. beautiful 4 and 5 bedroomed detached. Sure has made life in pats more enjoyable,thoughts of moving diminished for the time being.

Cannot help feeling sorry for the mainly farang who bought in the first place, one neighbour has serious cardiac problems besetting him,another struck down with cancer,the decisions made for them,they have to go back permanently to wherever they came from,probably countless in the same mode. They cannot sell with whatever they bought it for in the first place,has to be left to rot or rented out with whatever they can get.

Signed a 3 year lease,whether I complete 3 years is another matter ,that place in Portugal beckons and the thought of stumbling into a serious medical condition in Thailand frightens me with the costings. One thing I did not reckon on the dog I adopted will have to be taken to Portugal eventually

quite happy at the mo tho

Are Russians still coming? I just can't believe they aren't feeling the economic pinch by now. They are getting slaughtered by oil prices, sanctions, and now the Ruble has fallen to almost 50 to the USD. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=RUB&to=THB&view=10Y Wonder how it is on the ground? Not that I'm complaining if they won't be coming any more...whistling.gif

Most of the Russian girls that I met have returned or are returning. In fact I just received a message from one telling me that the temperature in her town is -23 Celsius.

So even though the place is a bit of hole, where else can you get a studio apartment for US$500 a month for the Christmas/New Year period and a temperature difference of 53 degrees Celsius?

So for some, it is a relative paradise.

Most of the Russian (single) girls are on working holidays and not real tourists.

WeChat and other apps make it easy for them to make money while they bask in the tropical sun.

Thanks I will have to check that outsmile.png .

Are Russians still coming? I just can't believe they aren't feeling the economic pinch by now.

They are getting slaughtered by oil prices, sanctions, and now the Ruble has fallen to almost 50 to the USD.

Russians do feel the pinch, and it shows. Ruble has lost 30% since March, when events in Ukraine got under way.

Oil prices at $75 is a true disaster for Russia.

This past summer 2 of the Russias largest travel agencies folded, large operators with offices all over country.

And this shows in Pattaya. Far less Russian tourists than same time last year.

The Russian tour operators here, people you see trying to give out flyers to day trips to river Kwai and to islands are suffering badly, nobody to give flyers to!

Doesnt look like it after driving down jomtien beach rd today, Russians absolutely everywhere , almost all beach chairs were filled up with newly arrived tourists. I think high season is here and enough Russians to keep the vendors happy.

• Like 1

Regarding the original post : There are enough bars and girls in Pattaya to wear out an army. So you can find anything you are looking for in a 2 km radius.

On the evolved subject of how changing demographics are affecting all the various businesses in Pattaya :That would be best answered by those with first hand information on subject.

For example the real estate observations made by some above.

Edited by morrobay

Are Russians still coming? I just can't believe they aren't feeling the economic pinch by now. They are getting slaughtered by oil prices, sanctions, and now the Ruble has fallen to almost 50 to the USD. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=RUB&to=THB&view=10Y Wonder how it is on the ground? Not that I'm complaining if they won't be coming any more...whistling.gif

Most of the Russian girls that I met have returned or are returning. In fact I just received a message from one telling me that the temperature in her town is -23 Celsius.

So even though the place is a bit of hole, where else can you get a studio apartment for US$500 a month for the Christmas/New Year period and a temperature difference of 53 degrees Celsius?

So for some, it is a relative paradise.

Most of the Russian (single) girls are on working holidays and not real tourists.

WeChat and other apps make it easy for them to make money while they bask in the tropical sun.

Erm....no....that is a load of rubbish. All, but one of the girls is a tourist. The one that isn't, has moved to Thailand and is working there as an accountant.

Just because you imagine something to be true, does not make it so. The fact that they may be single does not mean that they are travelling alone. They are with friends and family and they are on holiday.

There's a huge number of working Russian girls here. Obviously these Russian girls you meet have you fooled. It should be fairly obvious they're not going to tell everyone the true reason for vacationing in Pattaya. They can make big money entertaining the Arab tourists and other moneyed tourists with an inclination for white skinned (pre-tan), non-Asian models.

Of course there are also many single Russian girls vacationing here too with their friends and family.

Edited by tropo

Erm....no....that is a load of rubbish. All, but one of the girls is a tourist. The one that isn't, has moved to Thailand and is working there as an accountant.

Just because you imagine something to be true, does not make it so. The fact that they may be single does not mean that they are travelling alone. They are with friends and family and they are on holiday.

There's a huge number of working Russian girls here. Obviously these Russian girls you meet have you fooled. It should be fairly obvious they're not going to tell everyone the true reason for vacationing in Pattaya. They can make big money entertaining the Arab tourists and other moneyed tourists with an inclination for white skinned (pre-tan), non-Asian models.

Of course there are also many single Russian girls vacationing here too with their friends and family.

How do you tell the difference? For example are the ladies below really dental assistants from Moscow?

post-187908-0-17494200-1417257911_thumb.

How do you tell the difference? For example are the ladies below really dental assistants from Moscow?

I don't know, but I saw an ad from a DDG Russian woman on a marriage site that claimed to be a crane operator.