Is Pattaya really on the bones of it arse at the minute?

ryro88

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm flying from the UK to Darwin AUS and was going to stopover in Thailand/Pattaya for a few weeks to break up the trip but if it's as bad as people are saying i maybe just forget about the stopover and get straight to Darwin. I have been in pattaya before when it was pretty dead and it was pretty boring tbh. I just wanted to know if it has picked up any.

Haha, it's most certainly more fun than Darwin wink.png

Hang on there.... I would have to disagree with that 200%

One night in Pattaya and I couldn't wait to get out of the dirty place

One holiday to Darwin and I lived there for years

If strippers and late drinking is your life you can find that almost anywhere, but there is so much more to a town than that

Isn't Darwin the beer drinking capital of Australia? It's so boring there isn't anything else to do.... of course if beer drinking is your thing, why go anywhere else.

Apologies for adding what may be a "tangential" addition but you may want to enjoy Pattaya as and when you can.

According to The Nation newspaper (today, 23rd Oct. 2014) it would appear that "Tourism and Sports Minister" Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul reckons the place has too many hotel rooms and general naughtiness and is looking to see if she/they can use the place as a test bed for attracting "quality tourists by turning it into a "Sports City."

These I assume being official sports not chrome pole gymnastics, swimming in a lake of beer, etc. whistling.gif

(I would have added the link but I'm not sure if that is allowed - anyway it's easy enough to Google.)

• Like 1

Pattaya is a little bit quieter at the minute but sure by january it will be busy, usually starts picking up mid december

I was just down in Koh Chang which was very quiet and you probably read by now on this forum Trat province tourist arrivals are down by 50%.sad.png The business operators on Koh Chang said they need a healthy income for at least eight months of the year to be able to get through the extremely quiet 4 months later on. I assume it's pretty similar for business people here in pattaya so even a busy December and January and February wouldn't do much to help things.

. I think you could be right. My thai wife has business in pattaya and its been a struggle since june. We're just waiting for it to pick up soon.. Of cours closing business's for budha days elections days and the last curfew staff wanting advances on their salary as their not getting tips etc has'nt helped.. So come on high season.. Were waiting

I hate to say it but I firmly believe this is the new ‘ normal ‘and it has far less to do with problems in Thailand than problems relating to the bigger worldwide picture. Why? Because incomes around the world are stagnant (and I see no reason for this change) but at the same time , food prices are going up, governments are raising taxes (there will be a 3% increase in sales tax here soon) so people's disposable incomes are going to continue to be squeezed.

The new normal is all about the exchange rate. If the baht were devalued to its real, fundamental. non manipulated value of 40 baht/$ then tourists numbers would go way up.

I'm flying from the UK to Darwin AUS and was going to stopover in Thailand/Pattaya for a few weeks to break up the trip but if it's as bad as people are saying i maybe just forget about the stopover and get straight to Darwin. I have been in pattaya before when it was pretty dead and it was pretty boring tbh. I just wanted to know if it has picked up any.

Haha, it's most certainly more fun than Darwin wink.png

Hang on there.... I would have to disagree with that 200%

One night in Pattaya and I couldn't wait to get out of the dirty place

One holiday to Darwin and I lived there for years

If strippers and late drinking is your life you can find that almost anywhere, but there is so much more to a town than that

Isn't Darwin the beer drinking capital of Australia? It's so boring there isn't anything else to do.... of course if beer drinking is your thing, why go anywhere else.

I believe Darwin has one of the highest suicides rates in Oz.

So not all beer and skittles.

Hi-Lo what the hell. Each time I have visited Pattaya over the last 30 years or so it's always been a fun place to be. Maybe more fun when I was younger but in those days I blazed the bar trail. There's something for everyone but I prefer the quieter low season.

• Like 1

Last weekend in Bang Saen Beach which is 45 km north of Pattaya was very busy, kids are out of school now and the vegatarian holiday ended. looks like things are picking up here already. food carts and umbrellas everywhere. makes the beach area look really bad. I went for my walk on monday morning and was shocked by all the garbage everywhere on the ground. what a bunch of Pigs. They have a new machine they drive on the beach to pick up all the trash that washes ashore everymorning . Lots of noise to , a bunch of big bikes just arrived on the pier.

I just had to come back and comment here. I did a Hilton Buffet this evening. It was jam packed - really packed. They were booked out when I phoned in, but they managed to find a seat for us outside. It was a horrible experience. Bus loads of Asian tourists filled the place.

Then we decided to take our US friend out for a bar hop on Soi LK Metro. We visited 3 gogo bars at random. They were all packed. I never expected this considering reports about Pattaya have bony "arse" right now.

I really don't think Pattaya is on the bones of its "arse".

If the OP wants to visit a busy Pattaya I suggest he get his "arse" on a plane asap. biggrin.png

For people who want to enjoy their visit, wait for the quiet season. It's mayhem right now.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Darwin,,,isn't that where the US base is?

wait a little while darwin will probably become the biggest whorehouse in Asia

surpassing Pattaya and Angeles

At the prices they charge in Australia that's never going to happen. Australia has become one of the world's most expensive countries to live in. Sydney recently topped the list of the most expensive cities in the world. Congratulations on that!

I just had to come back and comment here. I did a Hilton Buffet this evening. It was jam packed - really packed. They were booked out when I phoned in, but they managed to find a seat for us outside. It was a horrible experience. Bus loads of Asian tourists filled the place.

Then we decided to take our US friend out for a bar hop on Soi LK Metro. We visited 3 gogo bars at random. They were all packed. I never expected this considering reports about Pattaya have bony "arse" right now.

If the OP wants to visit a busy Pattaya I suggest he get his "arse" on a plane asap. biggrin.png

For people who want to enjoy their visit, wait for the quiet season. It's mayhem right now.

But you can't judge an entire season based just on what happens on a busy long weekend? No doubt many of those visitors you saw just came from Bangkok

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

But you can't judge an entire season based just on what happens on a busy long weekend? No doubt many of those visitors you saw just came from Bangkok

You are correct, hence my use of "I don't think", but the people who were making the places I visited busy were tourists and expats, not Thais, so what would a long weekend have to do with it? Yes, The Thais made the roads busier, but not the Hilton or gogo bars. The restaurants on the 5th and 6th floor of Central (Fuji, Aka, Sukishi, Zen etc) are always packed out with Thais any day of the week.

I quietly predicted a bumper high season this year and I still believe it will be.

I quietly predicted a bumper high season this year and I still believe it will be.

Wishfull thinking sorry whistling.gif

Not at all. I'm not a business owner so I'm not wishing for a busy high season as I would much prefer a quiet busy season, but unfortunately you are wrong as it is already busy and we haven't even hit the official start yet, November 1.

Edited by tropo

I really hate high season but what are you going to do.

I don't think it is super busy at the moment but considering the weather in many countries this time of the year and the fact that pattaya is a cheap tourist destination I reckon it will be pretty busy as usual over the next few months.

And of course a lot more Thais come to Pattaya these days so it is always busy on holiday weekends festivals etc

and girls in the bars are notable getting agitated at lack of costumers and the ones that still go out are locals who won't buy them drinks.

Not where I went - it was pumping - hardly a spare seat. Even the Soi 6 bars were busy last week.

Edited by tropo

The atmosphere has turned a bit stale. Still good fun but it's not buzzing, and girls in the bars are notable getting agitated at lack of costumers and the ones that still go out are locals who won't buy them drinks.

. True. Not easy for the girls with many keeneow customers and not many tips. Roll on high season and the 2 week millionairs

Re-Tropo

This was down 7 and 8 as mentioned in another post (being well known I was a bit surprised how quiet)

Walking street is always buisyish as was 6!

Anyone know where do I find the best beer bars are at the moment?

. Made in thailand complex in between soi buakow and 2nd rd i find that this place is usualy ticking over

and girls in the bars are notable getting agitated at lack of costumers and the ones that still go out are locals who won't buy them drinks.

Not where I went - it was pumping - hardly a spare seat. Even the Soi 6 bars were busy last week.

tropo-not soi 6 surely ermm.gif I thought you were better than that whistling.gif

and Patts in high season will be quieter for sure-ruskies are feeling the crunch and hotels are reporting 20% less bookings this year.

The atmosphere has turned a bit stale. Still good fun but it's not buzzing, and girls in the bars are notable getting agitated at lack of costumers and the ones that still go out are locals who won't buy them drinks.

. True. Not easy for the girls with many keeneow customers and not many tips. Roll on high season and the 2 week millionairs

. True. Not easy for the girls with many keeneow customers

Maybe if the Cheap Chalee business owners paid a decent wage they wouldnt have to rely on tips.

and not many tips

IMHO, the lack of tips reflects the lack of service.

Way too many bars with girls with a DGAF attitude, head stuck on a mobile uploading selfies to their FB page.

I know of one bar in Pattaya, always rocking, not a girl under 40 years old, tips are flying, service is tip top, bar owners, change your business model or your staff.

Dont blame me coz your staff dont get tips, you employed them in the first place.

If your service sux, I take my business elsewhere.

PS, not a 2 week millionaire.

• Like 1

Why the eff should I buy them drinks?

They are there to serve me, lack of customers, more like way toooooo many bars chasing the same $$$$.

Pattaya could get rid of 50% of its bars and no one would even know they were gone.

Thai business model, copy next doors model.

. Your the 1 that comes in the bar plays 5 games of free pool buys 1 chang then leaves without leaving tip. Yea but why should you the girls already make £80 pr month sure they dont need your 20bt

Some great replies there. I agree the BGs do get moody when they aren't making money by way of lady drinks and tips. They certainly expect to earn more than the pitiful wages they get. As much as I dislike them I guess the 2 week millionaires do serve a purpose in Pattaya. So roll on Dec/Jan, put a smile on the ladies dial and OP here will also be happy. Thank the good Lawd I only visit in low season.