Is Pattaya really on the bones of it arse at the minute?

ryro88

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in Pattaya last week and it sure looked slow to me. All the beer bar on second road from south pattaya to the north roundabout were dead. I mean I have never seen it this bad. Second road was however under construction and getting new blacktop. Soi LK had a few farangs hanging around but I think mostly locals. Walking street had many people walking around but mostly Russians, Chinese, Indian and local Thais. Very few farangs around.

Nothing unusual about few farangs in bars on Second Rd. Been like that for over 15 years. I have been wondering for about 20 years how they make a living given the vast oversupply of bars compared to customers. Some well established bars have been doing well as long as I've been going to Pattaya, but they are the exception.

The atmosphere has turned a bit stale. Still good fun but it's not buzzing, and girls in the bars are notable getting agitated at lack of costumers and the ones that still go out are locals who won't buy them drinks.

Why the eff should I buy them drinks?

They are there to serve me, lack of customers, more like way toooooo many bars chasing the same $$$$.

Pattaya could get rid of 50% of its bars and no one would even know they were gone.

Thai business model, copy next doors model.

. Your the 1 that comes in the bar plays 5 games of free pool buys 1 chang then leaves without leaving tip. Yea but why should you the girls already make £80 pr month sure they dont need your 20bt

The number of times I've been in bars where the girls are too busy talking amongst themselves/ doing makeup/ eating to even try to enterrtain me are countless. Why would I leave them a tip?. Sometimes I buy one a drink and she then ignores me to go serve other customers- I'm not going to buy another unless I get to know them well enough to know that I'm not wasting my money.

The exception would be on Walking Street where I'll only buy one drink an hour, and I'll leave a "tip" as compensation for not buying more drinks. The girls at the bar I use are used to that and I never had any complaints or bad service because of that.

The atmosphere has turned a bit stale. Still good fun but it's not buzzing, and girls in the bars are notable getting agitated at lack of costumers and the ones that still go out are locals who won't buy them drinks.

They are there to serve me, lack of customers, more like way toooooo many bars chasing the same $$$$.

Pattaya could get rid of 50% of its bars and no one would even know they were gone.

There have been too many bars for the amount of available customers for at least 20 years.

If you go behind the Made in Thailand shops, there are the derelict remains of a bar area that failed as soon as it opened, many years ago, because it never had enough customers.

There have been too many bars for the amount of available customers for at least 20 years.

If you go behind the Made in Thailand shops, there are the derelict remains of a bar area that failed as soon as it opened, many years ago, because it never had enough customers.

Ditto 7-11s, family marts, massage parlors, laundries, Internet shops, travel agents, money changers, hairdressers, pharmacies... Did I miss anything?

I am involved in the entertainment business here in pattaya and over the past two weeks it has really picked up very busy

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk

Per my other thread, I concur - there are definitely more people here, although the late monsoon must be keeping many indoors.

And the rot is spreading - do you remember the bar and large outdoor Thai restaurant that sat on the block in front of that deserted complex just 4 or so weeks ago ? Razed to the ground - probably a good thing given the way the abandoned complex has been used as a dumping ground.

Ditto 7-11s, family marts, massage parlors, laundries, Internet shops, travel agents, money changers, hairdressers, pharmacies... Did I miss anything?

Internet shops are becoming extinct. They are the only thing decreasing above. I know because I use them: Naklua Soi 31, Beach rd Soi 9-10, Royal Garden, Tops. All gone

So, do I have this right? The folks who live in Pattaya say it's very busy and the folks who pretend to live in Pattaya think it's slow. Who should I believe?

How about, those who dont live in Pattaya but they have a mrs who runs a bar in Pattaya and they try and talk their bar area up to those of us who dont pretend to live in Pattay but visit each month and can see whats actually going on.

The same shrills who are sending money each month to support their bar hoping they can offload it to the next sucker who falls in lurve with the Pattaya dream.

Will be in Pattaya this Wednesday, Sailor Bar, We Are The World Bar, followed by a nose bag at the P&W, see you there, maybe we can compare notes.

So, do I have this right? The folks who live in Pattaya say it's very busy and the folks who pretend to live in Pattaya think it's slow. Who should I believe?

How about, those who dont live in Pattaya but they have a mrs who runs a bar in Pattaya and they try and talk their bar area up to those of us who dont pretend to live in Pattay but visit each month and can see whats actually going on.

The same shrills who are sending money each month to support their bar hoping they can offload it to the next sucker who falls in lurve with the Pattaya dream.

Will be in Pattaya this Wednesday, Sailor Bar, We Are The World Bar, followed by a nose bag at the P&W, see you there, maybe we can compare notes.

. 555. Your a belta...... Regards

There are more people around than a couple of weeks ago but the bars and Go Go,s are not as busy as they were at this time in previous years.

Must be time now for the drinks prices to rise in an attempt to recoup the losses from the fewer than usual people who visit them.

One Walking Street Go Go did exactly this on Monday, another 10 baht on all drinks and an extra 100 on bar fines

Not owned by Thais so not a case of Thai logic and not one of the more popular places that's normally busy.

More will probably follow but its just surprising that they have done this so early.

There are more people around than a couple of weeks ago but the bars and Go Go,s are not as busy as they were at this time in previous years.

Must be time now for the drinks prices to rise in an attempt to recoup the losses from the fewer than usual people who visit them.

One Walking Street Go Go did exactly this on Monday, another 10 baht on all drinks and an extra 100 on bar fines

Not owned by Thais so not a case of Thai logic and not one of the more popular places that's normally busy.

More will probably follow but its just surprising that they have done this so early.

It wouldn't be a price increase because of Loy Krathong and the beginning of the high season?

For Loy Krathong I like Silverlake winery.

I live there. I wouldn't call it very busy, but It looks like there are definitely more people on the weekends.

Walking St. was pretty weak about a month ago. Seemed like there were more people outside than inside any of the clubs. Pretty girls were nowhere to be found. Ones on the stage looking extra desperate.

Thats a good way to describe most places. more people outside than inside.

Edited by OnMyWay2

I live there. I wouldn't call it very busy, but It looks like there are definitely more people on the weekends.

Walking St. was pretty weak about a month ago. Seemed like there were more people outside than inside any of the clubs. Pretty girls were nowhere to be found. Ones on the stage looking extra desperate.

I have just returned from Hua Hin and Phuket. Hua Hin was dead and the locals said it had not picked up yet. Phuket I know a lot of the bar owners there and all said that it was still dead, I thought it was busy? Some of the owners said that if they did not have a half decent season, a lot of bars would be closing down.

Internet shops are becoming extinct. They are the only thing decreasing above. I know because I use them: Naklua Soi 31, Beach rd Soi 9-10, Royal Garden, Tops. All gone

That's right. Getting hard to find in tourist areas for some reason. Perhaps because of the prices- one place in Bkk charges 80 bht/ hour and the usual is 1 bht per minute- total rip off.

However, still going strong in non tourist areas at 10 baht/ hour.

• Like 1

"That's right. Getting hard to find in tourist areas for some reason. Perhaps because of the prices- one place in Bkk charges 80 bht/ hour and the usual is 1 bht per minute- total rip off."

Many people now have tablets and smartphones and can access the net through wifi and AIS etc. Not as much demand for net cafes these days

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

"That's right. Getting hard to find in tourist areas for some reason. Perhaps because of the prices- one place in Bkk charges 80 bht/ hour and the usual is 1 bht per minute- total rip off."

Many people now have tablets and smartphones and can access the net through wifi and AIS etc. Not as much demand for net cafes these days

Most logical reason.

It wouldn't be a price increase because of Loy Krathong and the beginning of the high season?

Out again last night and this place is the only one that I know of or have heard of doing so

Maybe more will do it tonight.

Realistically, there's never too much of anything. They only stay open if they can make enough money to keep the owners happy. There's no reason why new entries into the various business shouldn't give it a go - the best will survive. This is all very good for Pattaya and one reason why it is so popular with budget travelers and helps to keep the prices down.

I must have gone out on the wrong nights, because I don't agree with your assessment. These girls work on salary, not commission, so even if it is quiet they make a living wage (far better than most regular jobs), so they're never totally desperate.

I must have gone out on the wrong nights, because I don't agree with your assessment. These girls work on salary, not commission, so even if it is quiet they make a living wage (far better than most regular jobs), so they're never totally desperate.

Wouldn't you call the money made from bar fines, lady drinks and short and long time a commission?

Wouldn't you call the money made from bar fines, lady drinks and short and long time a commission?

My point was they can survive without lady's drinks and out calls. Yes, they make a small commission on drinks. Payment for out services is not commission.

In quiet times it would be the bar owners who get desperate, not the girls. The girls can easily transfer elsewhere if the bar closes down.

My point was they can survive without lady's drinks and out calls. Yes, they make a small commission on drinks. Payment for out services is not commission.

In quiet times it would be the bar owners who get desperate, not the girls. The girls can easily transfer elsewhere if the bar closes down.

. Average salary 4,000bt pr month in average bar not many lady drinks and tips in low season bar owners have to give advances in salary many times as the girls dont have enough to pay for room send money home etc. not easy for a lot of girls and bar owners at mo. Regards
  • Like 1

Very busy all over Pattaya last night.

Yep - Pattaya really turned it on for Loy Krathong - best night I've had in Pattaya for a very long time even if I did end up with a hangover today. Stunning to see the transformation some of the girls undergo when they swap the shorts and t-shirt for their Thai finery - I can only assume traditional clobber doesnt come cheaply either. It would be great if they wore it more often.

• Like 1