Dangerous koh Samui waterfall scam

bizwhiz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Thai-basher - really like living here; however, I think the OP has a legitimate gripe - why would locals charge admission and allow the family to climb to the top of a dry waterfall. Tourists cannot research every aspect of their holiday - part of the fun of a holiday is the surprises - but when locals (Thai or other nationalities) knowingly scam those who are visiting their country - it leaves a bad impression. sure the amount is small but it is the continued barfage of small scams that can sour a holiday. Due diligence is always appropriate - but sometimes Thailand is a series of scams -

I am going to put it this way... who pays the people working at these places?

At the falls which I mentioned, I don't remember ever being charged except for parking (fair enough) .. Staff maintain many of these attractions... put in walk ways, ropes and foot bridges etc. The money does not fall out of the sky.... to pay them.

I have left packs with vendors to watch to save carrying them up.... no problem~! .....Usually they are very helpful...thumbsup.gif

It's not really that difficult to ask around about things.... before heading out ... smile.png

• Like 2

On every street corner you will find FREE Koh Samui maps these clearly indicate where the waterfalls are I note that you say this happened some six months ago that would have been dry season here so these falls are not as powerful as if you were visiting in the rainy season just because it rains for a few days before this does not mean you are going to see a great difference in the flow of water. In 8 years of island living I have never been charged to go see the waterfall only the standard 20 baht for parking my vehicle. You are telling people to be ware but you have given no indication as to what part of the island you were at when this happened as I stated the good waterfalls are clearly shown on the FREE map of Samui !

• Like 1

I've been to dozens of waterfalls all over Thailand and some of them are really magnificent if you hit them at the right times of year. Some charge an entry fee and others don't; I can only think of one occasion where I felt ripped off (it was a waterfall in Ranong province, can't remember the name now, but there was no water at the time). Erawan in Kanchanaburi costs 200 baht but that's just over US $6 -- hardly a high price to pay for such a beautiful waterfall. I've been to many other excellent ones that are free and often deserted as well. Using common sense helps when it comes to safety; there are some waterfalls that are definitely not suitable for children and it's up to the parents to know when too high is too high.

Sorry to hear about your problems on Koh Samui. I have never been on Koh Samui and if I go I will heed your warning.

However, I have been to quite a few waterfalls around Thailand in their National Parks and aside from the entrance fee to the park there were no scams, no additional charges and just about all the waterfalls were great. The best I've been to was the hike up the 7 levels of waterfalls in Erawan National Park. Highly recommended.

On the subject of safety...well Thailand doesn't have a good track record at all and you need to be aware of that before coming. Life seems to be real cheap here.

• Like 1

Bizwiz, I think you are probably angry at yourself more than anything.

You make a few good points though.

I got stung in North Queensland Australia went to see the Great Barrier Reef in the rainy season unfortunately because of the runoff from the creeks the water was too murky to see anything. Do they stop the tours no, did it cost more than 100Bt yes!

And then the crocodile tour on the Daintree River not a croc to be seen!

Sht happens

oldsailor35, on 19 Oct 2014 - 23:00, said:

Lack of rain is NOT a scam. Anyone with half a brain would be able to work out that waterfalls do not flow in the dry season. However right now would be a good time to be looking for waterfalls on Samui.

Some waterfalls DO flow all year, just not so much in drier seasons. Tourist has the right to expect to see water, if the waterfall is advertised as having water, but what we have here is the same all over Thailand... money or the truth, just look at all Thai advertising, all glossy photos, but not mention what it is really like, for most of the year. eg, Patong beach, beautiful sandy beach, but most of the year, full of rubbish, dangerous waves and rips.

• Like 1

Hang on, Couldn't you tell there was no waterfall whilst you were still at the bottom ? I mean, no pool at the bottom and the sound of rushing water ( or lack thereof) would have been some clue surely. On another note, i have seen dozens of very pretty waterfalls here and never been charged a single baht.

• Like 2

If there was a waterfall at the to the alleged danger you put your family in would gave being justified???

Absolutely not again its the fact that 2 outa two waterfalls were corrupt and I'm warning others of this danger that's it.

Surely there was no water at the BOTTOM before you started your climb---that's your first clue !!!!!!

• Like 2

When I first met my wife here in Thailand we toured around the country in my pick-up. Sometimes we would see a sign "To the Waterfall". One one occasion she said...let's go look, so to please her I went, but I have to confess it baffled me why she wanted us to drive out of our way to see a waterfall. At home I would pass a few of them just going out for a drive on a Sunday. Anyway, when we got there a guy wanted money for us to see it. I just laughed, told him no thanks and we hit the road again. To me a waterfall is just a part of nature and nature is all around me, paying money to see a waterfall is to me like paying money to see a tree. No need to put one's family in danger....just look all around you and see the Extraordinary in what appears at first glance to be ordinary.

PS. I once asked my wife why she stayed with me and I was surprised with her answer (this is true). She said it was because I see beauty all around me, even when just traveling into Pattaya from Bang Saray on the motorbike. It also made her feel proud of Thailand because this is the only place we have lived since I met her.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I find the OP's post about as easy to read as Thai. His proclivity for extreme run-on sentences and disdain for punctuation are quite off-putting.

I would hazard a guess that the OP is not the tourist of quality that TAT is being mandated to promote Thailand to.

• Like 2

OP comments on Thais running scams then later comments about his running of illegal gambling on side streets. Pot and Kettle or did the hustler get hustled?

So apparently lives here yet does not know when wet season is or that in dry season a waterfall (or any river for that matter) has little or no water! And refuses to accept responsibility for himself putting his own family in danger. Once it was seen how difficult it was to track up the stairs and trek through jungle *HE* by his own choice (not the guides) chose to continue.

I walk with crutches, and when my family visited we hired a tour guide in Bangkok we went to Wat Arun. I managed to get all the way up with the exception of the last flight of steps. I Chose not to continue as it was rather difficult for me with the sticks and my busted rebuilt knee, femur, hip and paralysed ankle. If I chose to go all the way up and fell on the way up or down I certainly would nt be blaming the guide! and I certainly would nt be taking a small child up those stairs (carried or otherwise!).

His fault and he want to blame someone else. Man up tough guy!

Troll post! but I applaud your effort! clap2.gif

• Like 1

jakethesnake, on 20 Oct 2014 - 11:55, said:

I'm sorry, but I find the OP's post about as easy to read as Thai. His proclivity for extreme run-on sentences and disdain for punctuation are quite off-putting.

Then why did you read it... then complain. it would appear you have more of a problem, than the OP does with English.

• Like 1

jakethesnake, on 20 Oct 2014 - 11:55, said:

Then why did you read it... then complain. it would appear you have more of a problem, than the OP does with English.

So he should have not read it and complain? He made the effort, so has every right to complain.

You are really angry. angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png

p.s. 6 months ago was the end of the dry season so on an island there is no waterfall. smile.png

Not only on an island. A lot of the waterfalls dry up in the dry season.

He is looking for sympathy as he knows full well that all waterfalls in Thailand are in full flow now. He is just whinging.

I remember many years ago a climb to a "supposed to be" waterfall.. I just paid the park for motorbike and ventured, the waterfall was nowhere to be seen and the hiking become more and more dangerous (I had slippers), despite signs "3 min to waterfall", then after 15 min hike "2 min to waterfall" it was nowhere to be seen. Eventually met with a group of Koreans and we all decided to give up when a footpath was spot the decision was done, it has then been a nice walk back to the parking. Still not sure the waterfall is there or not, but the hike is far too dangerous on slippery rocks and it should be highlighted.

Edited by NicoBKK

The guy has good reason to be pissed off. The guide was a con merchant. He knew what no tourist could not be expected to know in advance - that there WAS no waterfall and therefore was obtaining money by false pretences. If the footpath was as steep and hazardous as it sounds, the "guide" should have warned anyone who looked as if they might be at risk - and particularly parents with small kids.

OK, so it sounds like a lot of fuss over a 20 baht fee, but Bizwiz's intention was clearly good - to flag up a warning to others who might be conned or be put in danger. To sneer at him and make ridiculous assertions. such as he must have known the waterfall would be dry (which nobody who hasn't actually been there recently could - ie the "guide*) is to do him a disservice and totally miss the point of his posting.

But it wouldn't be the first time, would it?

• Like 1