Manchester City

mrbojangles

Reasons why I picked on this game.

1. Misleading excuse of defence to blame.... Underdogs were unworthy...... That is always a good way of getting my attention.

Ian, for starters, non of us on here have stated that Cardiff where unworthy. We have said they played an excellent game plan, congratulated them but only said we don't think they can keep that up all season. Especially if they get injuries.

Secondly, we will have to disagree on the defence to blame. Cos in my eyes, they clearly were. The first one could and should have, been cleared. And the other 2 were from corners. If you can't defend corners, then the clue is in the word, your defence is set up wrong and that is due to not having your best defenders available, with people covering and playing out of position.

So Ian is a big England fan?

Filed in my "Things to keep me amused next summer" folder.

:D

I already said realistically we won't get past the group stage, but I will still be following with flags, shirt and face paint.

The way Hart is performing we might not even get there.......

Reasons why I picked on this game.

1. Misleading excuse of defence to blame.... Underdogs were unworthy...... That is always a good way of getting my attention.

Ian, for starters, non of us on here have stated that Cardiff where unworthy. We have said they played an excellent game plan, congratulated them but only said we don't think they can keep that up all season. Especially if they get injuries.

Secondly, we will have to disagree on the defence to blame. Cos in my eyes, they clearly were. The first one could and should have, been cleared. And the other 2 were from corners. If you can't defend corners, then the clue is in the word, your defence is set up wrong and that is due to not having your best defenders available, with people covering and playing out of position.

That's fair enough, opinions on this destined not to be the same. Pellegrini gonna need a swift change in fortune me thinks.

Just to clear an ambiguity, I never said any posters on here were slating Cardiff, I meant general perception especially with the media bla bla bla. I agreed earlier on in the discussion that Cardiff are likely to face reality if injury and fatigue sets in..... No depth = probably in the pooh by end January.

Ps. I promise to pick on someone else next week.

I like that idea. Do you promise to do a Spurs one if they get a hammering?

No!.... But fully expecting one of you guys to throw in a fair, non biased analysis! Hoping, praying, this year, the word hammering is not going rear it's ugly head.

No!.... But fully expecting one of you guys to throw in a fair, non biased analysis! Hoping, praying, this year, the word hammering is not going rear it's ugly head.

I've just looked into my crystal ball, Everton v Tottenham, Nov 3rd 2013.

Astonishing match , after a nine week unbeaten run Spurs lost there first game due to the injury last week of new signing Tom Daly. In an incredible run of 9 games without a goal from open play, just penalties courtesy of Olympic Diver Tom Daly, Spurs had no hope of continuing their form. AVB was adamant that his other new signing would be able to step up while Daly was in the treatment room.

• Like 1

I've just looked into my crystal ball, Everton v Tottenham, Nov 3rd 2013.

Astonishing match , after a nine week unbeaten run Spurs lost there first game due to the injury last week of new signing Tom Daly. In an incredible run of 9 games without a goal from open play, just penalties courtesy of Olympic Diver Tom Daly, Spurs had no hope of continuing their form. AVB was adamant that his other new signing would be able to step up while Daly was in the treatment room.

Must be Mystics crystal ball as apparently he has no use for it anymore laugh.png

Anyway, in a nutshell, our defensive errors cost us the game. And that is where we need strengthening. That ain't an excuse, it's a fact that we have been going on about here for a while.

I know you're looking for excuses/reasons for what was a shock defeat but I didn't see you complain about your defense the previous week when you were stuffing Newcastle.

Against Newcastle your team was:

• 01 Hart
  • 04 Kompany (Garcia - 71' )
  • 05 Zabaleta
  • 06 Lescott
  • 22 Clichy
  • 15 Navas
  • 21 Silva (Negredo - 80' )
  • 25 Fernandinho Booked
  • 42 Toure
  • 10 Dzeko Booked
  • 16 Aguero (Nasri - 62' )

Against Cardiff your team was:

• 01 Hart
  • 05 Zabaleta
  • 06 Lescott
  • 14 Garcia
  • 22 Clichy
  • 15 Navas (Nasri - 55' )
  • 21 Silva
  • 25 Fernandinho (Milner - 77' )
  • 42 Toure
  • 10 Dzeko (Negredo - 69' )
  • 16 Aguero

Apart from Garcia your starting eleven was the same. Are you really saying that Garcia is THAT BAD? He played for twenty minutes against Newcastle and they didn't score. Surely you're not suggesting Garcia was the difference between a 4-0 win and a 3-2 defeat.

Say what you like about injuries, your defense/team was good enough not to concede against Newcastle.

With Cardiff being the 'news boys' what is far more likely is that Man City didn't take them seriously, didn't show enough respect and found out the hard way weaker teams will always raise their game against the top sides. Man City thought it would be easy and simply got their tactics wrong.

• Like 1

Its sad about Kompany. I thought he was unbelievable last night. I guess the best we can hope for is that he is back for the United game.

I think for sure we will now buy Demichelis. I think to be safe we need 2 more CB, because I dont think we can rely on Garcia as CB cover.

Sumrit, if you start at about this point back a few pages. You will see that we have been talking about our defence quite a lot and before the Cardiff game. We are not using it as any excuses and I honestly cannot see where I have been complaining, we have just been discussing where are our weak areas. We should have had a strong enough squad and around the rest of the park we have.

I know you're looking for excuses/reasons for what was a shock defeat but I didn't see you complain about your defense the previous week when you were stuffing Newcastle.

Apart from Garcia your starting eleven was the same. Are you really saying that Garcia is THAT BAD? He played for twenty minutes against Newcastle and they didn't score. Surely you're not suggesting Garcia was the difference between a 4-0 win and a 3-2 defeat.

Say what you like about injuries, your defense/team was good enough not to concede against Newcastle.

With Cardiff being the 'news boys' what is far more likely is that Man City didn't take them seriously, didn't show enough respect and found out the hard way weaker teams will always raise their game against the top sides. Man City thought it would be easy and simply got their tactics wrong.

In the game against Newcastle, it was also not the first choice defensively but at least we had Kompany and Newcastle didn't really test us enough. By the time Garcia replaced Kompany, Newcastle were 2-0 down and down to ten men.

I'm not gonna go any further on the Cardiff match, cos I really don't want to take any credit away from Cardiff, who did a good job on us.

My worry is going forward. We have been exposed at the back and it is plain and clear for all to see, that we cannot wait until we get the injured players back. We need additions now. Otherwise, with the amount of games we have to play, we will obviously get more injuries and be found wanting again but there may not be a transfer window open.

So, dare I ask, do you see the same difficulties (defence or otherwise) against the Tigers? Bruce will be chomping at he bit or sure.

I don't know if Richards and Nastasic will be fit enough to start, as that would be a great help. If not, at least being at home against Hull is obviously an advantage. Pellegrini will no doubt have been working on the defence this week, especially from set pieces and maybe making a change or two i.e. giving Boyata a chance. Therefore, the optimist in me says that if they have been working hard, we should be able to shore up enough against Hull but I'm just glad we aren't playing United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal etc or we would be in the mire.

So, dare I ask, do you see the same difficulties (defence or otherwise) against the Tigers? Bruce will be chomping at he bit or sure.

I don't know if Richards and Nastasic will be fit enough to start, as that would be a great help. If not, at least being at home against Hull is obviously an advantage. Pellegrini will no doubt have been working on the defence this week, especially from set pieces and maybe making a change or two i.e. giving Boyata a chance. Therefore, the optimist in me says that if they have been working hard, we should be able to shore up enough against Hull but I'm just glad we aren't playing United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal etc or we would be in the mire.

Nastasic and Lescott I would imagine. An upgrade from last week but far from ideal. Both have a history of playing to the left of Hart, so someone has to adjust. I fear we will be struggling to one degree or another until Kompany returns, or a bona fide replacement is found. If Demichelis arrives we will have to hope he still has something left. I don't think its a given that he will be a savior. Given that groin injuries are often long lasting I hope City is fortunate enough to find someone who can really step up. Else wise we could be looking at a big headache for a long period.facepalm.gif

Nastasic and Lescott I would imagine. An upgrade from last week but far from ideal. Both have a history of playing to the left of Hart, so someone has to adjust. I fear we will be struggling to one degree or another until Kompany returns, or a bona fide replacement is found. If Demichelis arrives we will have to hope he still has something left. I don't think its a given that he will be a savior. Given that groin injuries are often long lasting I hope City is fortunate enough to find someone who can really step up. Else wise we could be looking at a big headache for a long period.facepalm.gif

Agreed JD. I know Toure wanted more starts and that's why we let him go but I honestly thought when he went we would replace him and get an addition. We can't play in the Champs League and compete for the Prem with what we currently have at the back.

Agreed JD. I know Toure wanted more starts and that's why we let him go but I honestly thought when he went we would replace him and get an addition. We can't play in the Champs League and compete for the Prem with what we currently have at the back.

True....and if you buy in the New Year it will be too late for CL for another season.

I wouldn't worry too much bj, your not usually in the Champions league for long whistling.gif

True....and if you buy in the New Year it will be too late for CL for another season.

That's my worry smokes. Some on here think your complaining if you say you are light here and there. However, I'm a realist and I know for sure if we play in the Champs League with what we have now and with no back up for any reapeat or new injuries, we are doomed again. Especially as we don't get a good seeding.......again. tongue.png

That's my worry smokes. Some on here think your complaining if you say you are light here and there. However, I'm a realist and I know for sure if we play in the Champs League with what we have now and with no back up for any reapeat or new injuries, we are doomed again. Especially as we don't get a good seeding.......again. tongue.png

You absolutely must have two players of quality in every position to challenge nowadays....I'm just astonished that our side is beginning to look like we will have it by the end of the window.

Good luck with your hunt! whistling.gif

In the end it was a very close call. Premiership brilliance v championship workhorse in the end. Man City will be breathing, probably the most significant, sigh of relief of the whole season. Mid table at best.

Three points is three points but City not yet playing as hoped. The defensive issues are easy to understand with the injuries. The limping attack I'm going to chalk up to a new system and the new faces. I'd hope to see Negredo from the start next game and also some time for Jovetic. Its still early and the attack is going to be a work in progress. I reckon there will some games like Newcastle and some like today. That wouldn't be so concerning, but with the defense so suspect there will be more times where we could drop points.

"Mid table at best" from Ian. Can I hold you to that down the road ?wink.png You'll be chowing down on crow again.biggrin.png

Three points is three points but City not yet playing as hoped. The defensive issues are easy to understand with the injuries. The limping attack I'm going to chalk up to a new system and the new faces. I'd hope to see Negredo from the start next game and also some time for Jovetic. Its still early and the attack is going to be a work in progress. I reckon there will some games like Newcastle and some like today. That wouldn't be so concerning, but with the defense so suspect there will be more times where we could drop points.

"Mid table at best" from Ian. Can I hold you to that down the road ?wink.png You'll be chowing down on crow again.biggrin.png

My banker said four.....you lot are in big trouble. mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

Woeful today. Just didn't seem to get into any sort of rhythm and even with Nastasic back, the defence is still dodgy and we were lucky not to go 1-0 down.

Still, I'll take the 3 points..

Looking forward to the Derby tongue.png