Manchester City

mrbojangles

History against Man City. No English club has ever won in Nou Camp. Only Scotland's Dundee United & Merseysides Liverpool have managed it.wink.png

So a certain win in 99 by man utd doe's not countlaugh.png

I think Pellegrini paid the price for being too cautious there. Manchester Dhabi can score hatfuls at home but he puts out a side to contain.

Even 1-0 would have been salvageable, but I think 2-0 means a goalfest in Barcelona, and facing Neymar and Messi means there will only be one winner I'm afraid.

On the bright side, I did trouser a considerable sum for a Barca-PSG double, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Maybe one day you'll let us know where the dosh is going before the matches. biggrin.png

• Like 2

History against Man City. No English club has ever won in Nou Camp. Only Scotland's Dundee United & Merseysides Liverpool have managed it.wink.png

hehe. it takes a goal from john arne riise's right foot to win in the nou camp. which is literally a million to one chance.

I think Pellegrini paid the price for being too cautious there. Manchester Dhabi can score hatfuls at home but he puts out a side to contain.

Even 1-0 would have been salvageable, but I think 2-0 means a goalfest in Barcelona, and facing Neymar and Messi means there will only be one winner I'm afraid.

On the bright side, I did trouser a considerable sum for a Barca-PSG double, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Maybe one day you'll let us know where the dosh is going before the matches. biggrin.png

I refer you to post #11388. In the absence of any response from our quadruple-mad chums, I went with instinct.

biggrin.png

Man City v Barcelona: Pellegrini says referee was 'not impartial'

Now what was it that Man U fan told me.... Oh Yeah...... How do you know when an Etihad plane has landed? They turn off the engines and you can still hear the whining.

No wonder Pardew called him a "****ing old ****".

Of all the players in the world, one of the reasons I think Messi is head and shoulders above anyone else is that he doesn't look for fouls, he doesn't roll around and cheat, and he tried to stay on his feet and score. He went down in the area. If you are being fouled in the area, which he was, then a penalty and a red card is the only choice.

32b2a8d628e55078b76e5ee0dc3d1ec3.gif?139

Besides which stranger things have happened than turning over a 2-0 deficit in an away game, and while Barcelona are still good but they're not Pep Guardiola good.

When Citeh decided to come out and play football, they had their share of possession and threat, even with 10 men.

'if a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area but continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee shall award a penalty kick'.

laws of the game state that. plenty to give the referee credit for making the call right there.

• Like 1

'if a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area but continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee shall award a penalty kick'.

laws of the game state that. plenty to give the referee credit for making the call right there.

Too many player get away with infringements that are deliberately committed a foot outside the box and continue a yard into the box. It's about time referees started having the balls to award more penalties.

Too many player get away with infringements that are deliberately committed a foot outside the box and continue a yard into the box. It's about time referees started having the balls to award more penalties.

What's the solution then ,make the penalty box a foot longer/wider?

Your post makes no sense really!

I always thought the ball is placed where the contact is first initiated for the foul. I've heard it said many times before, at least by pundits (they're not always right). It was initiated outside the box. It wasn't a "hold," it was contact. What the rules say about that? I guess I could check them out myself.

About Messi, ya I've seen him be honest and not go down plenty of times when he could have and instead he chose to ride tackles and try to get in the box and score and of course this was an obvious foul.

But I've also seen him dive and simulate before, as well. Especially when acting like he was violently hit in the face when he wasn't. I know I've seen him do that and roll around on the floor like the best of them. Don't pretend he doesn't.

Obviously this guy hates Messi, but here are a few examples. I love watching Messi play, myself.

I wouldn't say he's the worst of offenders but he's been known to do it.

etc. etc.

Then there's all the videos on youtube about him never diving so he has a reputation as one who "never" dives, sure, but it should be he rarely dives.

Besides which stranger things have happened than turning over a 2-0 deficit in an away game, and while Barcelona are still good but they're not Pep Guardiola good.

When Citeh decided to come out and play football, they had their share of possession and threat, even with 10 men.

Posted 2014-02-17 08:22:55

I don't know what tosh that is, the laws of the game are simple, and the best team always wins.

xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web

Posted 2014-02-17 08:22:55

I don't know what tosh that is, the laws of the game are simple, and the best team always wins.

xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web

Yes.....

You do know CL ties are over two legs, don't you?

rolleyes.gif

StevieH posted the law above that states that if the foul continues into the box, the ref SHALL (not "really ought to" or "maybe should think about") award a penalty kick.

All Uptheos is saying is that more referees ought to heed it.

I think you are the one who has difficulty grasping things.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

I always thought the ball is placed where the contact is first initiated for the foul. I've heard it said many times before, at least by pundits (they're not always right). It was initiated outside the box. It wasn't a "hold," it was contact. What the rules say about that? I guess I could check them out myself.

About Messi, ya I've seen him be honest and not go down plenty of times when he could have and instead he chose to ride tackles and try to get in the box and score and of course this was an obvious foul.

But I've also seen him dive and simulate before, as well. Especially when acting like he was violently hit in the face when he wasn't. I know I've seen him do that and roll around on the floor like the best of them. Don't pretend he doesn't.

Obviously this guy hates Messi, but here are a few examples. I love watching Messi play, myself.

I wouldn't say he's the worst of offenders but he's been known to do it.

etc. etc.

Then there's all the videos on youtube about him never diving so he has a reputation as one who "never" dives, sure, but it should be he rarely dives.

Furry Muff. But it wasn't a dive last night and the penalty/red card was the correct action.

I don't know what Pellegrini has against the scandies, but I just heard him say on Sky that "they should never have given the game to a Swedish referee"!.

biggrin.png

I've no real qualms about the penalty decision itself. At full speed it was too close to call whether in or out of the box. But I do disagree with the whole ruling of giving a penalty AND sending the player off. One or the other is ample punishment IMO. Either way, Demichelis is still a waste of space.

The one gripe I do have, is that it was a foul on Navas in the first place. The ref sets the standard of what he will and will not let go. All night he had been giving fouls for less contact, so we should have had a free kick.

But no point in moaning about it as it's done and dusted. Still happy how they played and tried, when down to 10 men. The last goal was a sucker punch though.

• Like 1

StevieH posted the law above that states that if the foul continues into the box, the ref SHALL (not "really ought to" or "maybe should think about") award a penalty kick.

All Uptheos is saying is that more referees ought to heed it.

I think you are the one who has difficulty grasping things.

Oh dear. The ref would have to 'indicate' an 'advantage' if he had seen the 'initial' contact in order to pull the play back & award a 'freekick'.

no advantage was being played so therefore the blind bat either didn't see it or he had a few euros on Messi for 1st scorer.

Lines are there for a reason .<deleted> Steven Gerrards foul the other week started about 15 yards before the player finally went down .It has to be initial contact ,advantage or no advantage or there's not point having a penalty area.

Oh dear. The ref would have to 'indicate' an 'advantage' if he had seen the 'initial' contact in order to pull the play back & award a 'freekick'.

no advantage was being played so therefore the blind bat either didn't see it or he had a few euros on Messi for 1st scorer.

Lines are there for a reason .<deleted> Steven Gerrards foul the other week started about 15 yards before the player finally went down .It has to be initial contact ,advantage or no advantage or there's not point having a penalty area.

Well OK, so because it worked against us this week, we want the laws changed.

That's a new one.

biggrin.png

Yes lines are there for a reason, if Messi had gone down before the line it would still have been a red card.

And personally I would have expected the ref to blow up but since it all happened in a fraction of a second, I don't really say how on earth he could signal "advantage", let alone how Messi would have seen it.

First leg is done and dusted. I'm hopeful that Aguero will be fit and in form for the second leg. Truly an uphill battle but there is nothing to be done about that.

As for Messi and simulation, I've seen it a few times in his career, but precious few. Anybody who wants to make a case that Messi is a diver hasn't seen him play much and/or has an agenda. Ridiculous.