Manchester City

mrbojangles

dimichelis is suspended for the second leg. but apparently barcelona intend to appeal it.

I don't see why, they could replace him with Lescott.

rmYn3Fm.gif

biggrin.png

True enough. As bad as Demichelis can be at times Lescott is often worse, and at times much worse. Though to give some credit, Lescott played pretty well against Chelsea the other day. Demichelis is old and slow and not much to be done about that. Lescott is just poor.

Oh dear. The ref would have to 'indicate' an 'advantage' if he had seen the 'initial' contact in order to pull the play back & award a 'freekick'.

no advantage was being played so therefore the blind bat either didn't see it or he had a few euros on Messi for 1st scorer.

Lines are there for a reason .<deleted> Steven Gerrards foul the other week started about 15 yards before the player finally went down .It has to be initial contact ,advantage or no advantage or there's not point having a penalty area.

Well OK, so because it worked against us this week, we want the laws changed.

That's a new one.

biggrin.png

Yes lines are there for a reason, if Messi had gone down before the line it would still have been a red card.

And personally I would have expected the ref to blow up but since it all happened in a fraction of a second, I don't really say how on earth he could signal "advantage", let alone how Messi would have seen it.

You are getting a grasp of it in your last paragraph.

Messi doesn't have to know if he is being allowed an advantage or not in that scenario(although a signal or shout is sometimes aknowleged /heard) .He like every single player the world over just needs to play the whistling.gif .

Just my thoughts for what its worth.

Personally I do not have a problem with the penalty being awarded. The foul was maybe 6 inches outside the box, but in real time it would be virtually impossible for the ref or linesman to see it. You win some you lose some. On the season normally they balance up, unless you are United. In my opinion the red for Demichelis was justified... last man and all that.

Ref should have blown for an obvious foul on Navas leading upto the penalty. I thought the ref was average at best, however I have seen refereeing performances far far worse in the Premiership this year. I didnt think he was so bad that Pellegrini had to go off as he did!! Sounding like Whinging Wenger.

I think Pellegrini had a game plan, which unfortunately failed. I dont think City played that badly, I thought they did OK. But we played to stifle their strengths as opposed to playing to ours. Maybe Pellegrini was hoping to get away with a draw, keep a clean sheet and then go for it at Nou Camp once we have Aguero fit.

Anyway, it is what it is. If City play as well as they can and Barcelona have a bit of an off day or are over confident, it is at least possible to win 3-1. It wouldnt be the biggest surprise in the world.

• Like 1

Personally I do not have a problem with the penalty being awarded. The foul was maybe 6 inches outside the box, but in real time it would be virtually impossible for the ref or linesman to see it. You win some you lose some. On the season normally they balance up, unless you are United. In my opinion the red for Demichelis was justified... last man and all that.

Ref should have blown for an obvious foul on Navas leading upto the penalty. I thought the ref was average at best, however I have seen refereeing performances far far worse in the Premiership this year. I didnt think he was so bad that Pellegrini had to go off as he did!! Sounding like Whinging Wenger.

I think Pellegrini had a game plan, which unfortunately failed. I dont think City played that badly, I thought they did OK. But we played to stifle their strengths as opposed to playing to ours. Maybe Pellegrini was hoping to get away with a draw, keep a clean sheet and then go for it at Nou Camp once we have Aguero fit.

Anyway, it is what it is. If City play as well as they can and Barcelona have a bit of an off day or are over confident, it is at least possible to win 3-1. It wouldnt be the biggest surprise in the world.

That's the way it seemed to me as well Jack, though I'm not convinced Navas was fouled. I'd have to see that one a few more times and even sometimes that doesn't help. I'm sure Pellegrini was upset with the result, but yes his comments sounded like any other entitled EPL manager. I was hoping he would be different, but the pressure of the job seems to get to pretty much all of the managers.

That's the way it seemed to me as well Jack, though I'm not convinced Navas was fouled. I'd have to see that one a few more times and even sometimes that doesn't help. I'm sure Pellegrini was upset with the result, but yes his comments sounded like any other entitled EPL manager. I was hoping he would be different, but the pressure of the job seems to get to pretty much all of the managers.

He works for a spoilt Arab playboy mate, he could be sacked tomorrow for wearing the wrong colour tie.

biggrin.png

He works for a spoilt Arab playboy mate, he could be sacked tomorrow for wearing the wrong colour tie.

biggrin.png

As long as it ain't the same colour as Mancini's I think he'll be OK.wink.png

I see where Pellegrini has apologized today for his comments about the ref.

Really unprofessional and thoroughly stupid behavior from the City manager. Perhaps the pressures getting to him?

As i said the other day in response to some stupid things that our manager said, i think it's the same with all managers: the team losing or not performing well, and the pressure that that brings, makes them say and do stupid things. Wenger, Moyes, Mourinho, Rodgers, Pellegrini, they have all come out with some stupid stuff, and it's invariably always on the back of defeat. It's all very easy to be articulate, well-spoken and well reasoned, when you are being asked questions on the back of success... although admittedly, some managers don't even manager it then.

• Like 1

Admit it though, it was dumb of him to say they shouldn't appoint Swedish referees because it isn't a big footballing country.

That's just a petty, sour grapes insult.

And rightly, UEFA have charged him for it, so he might find himself sat in the directors box at the Nou Camp barking out orders for a crony to SMS to the bench.

biggrin.png

Admit it though, it was dumb of him to say they shouldn't appoint Swedish referees because it isn't a big footballing country.

And rightly, UEFA have charged him for it, so he might find himself sat in the directors box at the Nou Camp barking out orders for a crony to SMS to the bench.

biggrin.png

Yeah they should confiscate his phone and make him sit by the corner flag wearing headphones playing Abba songs throughout the match.

biggrin.png

Yeah they should confiscate his phone and make him sit by the corner flag wearing headphones playing Abba songs throughout the match.

Trust me, he would be rather doing that than watching this sh!t

Dzeko!!blink.png

I think Dzeko needs to be hooked up to an IV of testosterone or sitting on a shrink's couch. His concentration and drive seem at times to be nonexistent. blink.png

I dont know, I thought he made a couple of defensive masterpieces today..... if he had been a Stoke player!!

Another disappointing display. Too much arms in the air and complaining instead of playing to the whistle and chasing the ball!!

Better second half, but not even close to playing how we can play. A wins a win, I guess, but they need to step it up a couple of gears if we are to win the league.

I'll take the 3 points and forget that game ever happened!!

But you are a Blue, mate. Surely you will have a moan like the rest of us?biggrin.png

Can't really moan about the ref as they are all as bad as each other nowadays.

I don't want to moan about Dzecko, as we have said all that there needs to be said about him and Pellegrini still doesn't listen. biggrin.png

Can't really moan about us having 74% possession and Stoke having 10 men behind the ball. That was to be expected really.

I think it was just one of those games that will never be remembered for anything whatsoever.

But you are a Blue, mate. Surely you will have a moan like the rest of us?biggrin.png

I don't want to moan about Dzecko, as we have said all that there needs to be said about him and Pellegrini still doesn't listen. biggrin.png

Can't really moan about us having 74% possession and Stoke having 10 men behind the ball. That was to be expected really.

I think it was just one of those games that will never be remembered for anything whatsoever.

there you go Jack, having a moan about not being able to moan smile.png

• Like 1

there you go Jack, having a moan about not being able to moan smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Did you all notice the Barca result yesterday?

Looks bad, yes, but Martino did some mindless rotating with a collection of newbies and has beens along the back. Barca's depth at the back is arguably worse than City's. I hear Song was way out of his depth.

Martino taking flak today and acknowledging he got it wrong.

On a half related topic regarding centrebacks and fullbacks, Spain's defensive prowess seems to be declining and you'd have to guess they are going to have a tough time winning the WC without scoring more goals. Puyol is essentially done. Pique's effectiveness has declined without Puyol covering for him. Monreal at LB ? Though Spain still has hack master Ramos.