Manchester City

mrbojangles

I thought Lampard looked and played like a man who is well past his best.Can't fathom the move to City when he could have had a good break ,re charged his tiring body and enjoyed his football in the US.

Not a good way to end ones career in the country where you were once greatly admired.

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif He did score today to save a point and against ????? w00t.gif

BT biggrin.png

I have watched City in their last two league games, at Arsenal and against Chelsea and I am surprised at how 'physical' they have become. They are a very powerfully team and have undoubted ability but I see a level of cynisism in their play that reminds me of Leeds United under Don Revie in the early seventies. I am sure there are many who will disagree with me but watch how they foul, not as a 'last ditch' attempt to save a certain goal but in the midfield areas when an opponent gets past them. YaYa Toure always tackles with his arms around the oppoments neck as he is constantly beaten for pace. City are capable of playing 'the beautiful game' but they can 'look after themselves' also. David Silva is the 21st century Johnny Giles.

I thought Lampard looked and played like a man who is well past his best.Can't fathom the move to City when he could have had a good break ,re charged his tiring body and enjoyed his football in the US.

Not a good way to end ones career in the country where you were once greatly admired.

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif He did score today to save a point and against ????? w00t.gif

BT biggrin.png

I'll accept that but he couldn't even bring himself to say he was playing for City his remarks post match were "this team" I still say when you have legendary status for many years for a club you don't go to your nearest opposition as a matter of pride and principle.

BT biggrin.png

I'll accept that but he couldn't even bring himself to say he was playing for City his remarks post match were "this team" I still say when you have legendary status for many years for a club you don't go to your nearest opposition as a matter of pride and principle.

Tell that to Sol Campbell. He had to move to Arsenal to win the league at White Hart Lane.

biggrin.png

Oooooh Pelligrini in the post match presser....

"I think we were playing a small team who were trying to defend....."

cheesy.gif

I think you are using poetic licence there Chicog. He didn't mention "small team". This is what he actually said:-

"I think it was very similar to the Stoke game," he told Sky Sports.

"It was very difficult because they have very good players, but they had nine players in front of their box."

"We had chances, especially in the second half, to open the scoring, but we couldnt do it."

"After they scored we showed our character, with the way we played with ten men."

"I think it will be very difficult to defend the title because teams are playing the way Chelsea played against us."

"I didnt think they had an intention to win the game, just to score on the counter-attack."

One thing I noticed yesterday was our ineffectiveness at corners.

14 corners and not 1 single chance. Now either Chelsea are exceptional at defending corners ( dont know what the Opta stats are about Chelsea conceding from corners) or we are doing something wrong. The last 2 or 3 corners were played short, as we got absolutely no joy from dinking into the box.

Somebody should practice, the way Yaya has practiced his free kick technique.

I think Mangala is good for half a dozen goals if they can deliver the ball well enough.

cheesy.gif

I think you are using poetic licence there Chicog. He didn't mention "small team". This is what he actually said:-

"It was very difficult because they have very good players, but they had nine players in front of their box."

"We had chances, especially in the second half, to open the scoring, but we couldnt do it."

"After they scored we showed our character, with the way we played with ten men."

"I think it will be very difficult to defend the title because teams are playing the way Chelsea played against us."

"I didnt think they had an intention to win the game, just to score on the counter-attack."

And I think you are using selective editing! Sky certainly were <heh>

“It was very similar to the Stoke team, with a big team playing against a small team with very good players, trying to defend, trying to keep the score [nil-nil].

biggrin.png

14 corners and not 1 single chance. Now either Chelsea are exceptional at defending corners ( dont know what the Opta stats are about Chelsea conceding from corners) or we are doing something wrong. The last 2 or 3 corners were played short, as we got absolutely no joy from dinking into the box.

We were saying the same thing jack. I think it just came down to Chelsea defending extremely well at set pieces last night. Although you'd think you could get lucky at least once out of 14.

cheesy.gif

And I think you are using selective editing! Sky certainly were <heh>

“It was very similar to the Stoke team, with a big team playing against a small team with very good players, trying to defend, trying to keep the score [nil-nil].

biggrin.png

I never edited anything Chicog. My quote was taken straight from sky without me editing. They turned the volume down in the pub after the match, so didn't hear his actual post match interview. I'll have a look around later for a live interview, to see what he actually said.

cheesy.gif

I never edited anything Chicog. My quote was taken straight from sky without me editing. They turned the volume down in the pub after the match, so didn't hear his actual post match interview. I'll have a look around later for a live interview, to see what he actually said.

Here is one interview.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pellegrini-chelsea-played-like-small-7808120

I told you what he said. It was on Sky this morning.

I would imagine Mourinho will be using that Pardew description when he finds out...

"F****** old C***!".

It's a good job Pishphlaps isn't around, he'd probably break the daily posting record.

cheesy.gif

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Sounds like Moronho was in a bit of a sulk as well.

Mourinho also refused to comment on Lampard's goal, saying that the midfielder is no longer a Chelsea player.

"I don't speak about players from other teams, I am sorry," Mourinho added. "I don't speak about Frank. To speak about Frank is to speak about my past with Frank, the player he was for what he means in my career."

Moral victory.

Mangala is class.

Milner had a very good game.

Ref turned away 4 pens, 3 for us 1 for them, which I thought could have all been given.

That was some debut by Mangala who looks like he can play.

How many positions did Milner feature in: wide right, wide left, right back, central...he was great and got better the longer the game went on...if they'd played last man standing he would have won that.

Thought Dinho played well, and Yaya also stepped up (still see players running past him too often).

Was swapping sms with a chelsea buddy here and said at halftime reckon the ref will spoil it sending someone off. He was booking people for the smallest of things (Fabregas apart,,,how did he not get booked) and boxed himself in. I don't have too much to grumble about Zaba's sending off but Costa definitely gave the ref a decision to make when he squared up to zaba instead of getting on with it...and hands round a throat = sending off!

How did he miss Matic's rugby/wrestling pulldown on Dzeko...penalty all day long. We have good shouts every game but get nothing.

Great game.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

I have watched City in their last two league games, at Arsenal and against Chelsea and I am surprised at how 'physical' they have become. They are a very powerfully team and have undoubted ability but I see a level of cynisism in their play that reminds me of Leeds United under Don Revie in the early seventies. I am sure there are many who will disagree with me but watch how they foul, not as a 'last ditch' attempt to save a certain goal but in the midfield areas when an opponent gets past them. YaYa Toure always tackles with his arms around the oppoments neck as he is constantly beaten for pace. City are capable of playing 'the beautiful game' but they can 'look after themselves' also. David Silva is the 21st century Johnny Giles.

I would agree that certain City players can be physical when required but i don't think we're any more or less physical than most teams.

I do not agree that City go out to foul or play in any bad way, the contrary is true, out of all the Premier teams City are the team that most tries to play football.

I do not agree that City players foul any more than any other team, but as i'm sure there are statistics out there, prove me wrong.

I would agree with your Yaya comment that he often grapples players but not necessarily round their necks.

Your comment about David Silva being Johnny Giles is aimed to be funny or contentious, right? If its serious then you know nothing about Silva and/or football. Yesterday he missed timed 2 tackles, dirty, no way!!!!

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Think we're all agreed english is not Pelle's natural language, but anybody who watched the game, will know what he meant: one team had a big team mentality to go out to win the game, the other team didn't have a big team mentality to win the game...don't think i need to tell you who was the big team and who wasn't the big team.

I think Mangala is good for half a dozen goals if they can deliver the ball well enough.

Not a lover of Silva's floated corners, too easy to defend, Nasri's are better spiced up with a few kolorov drilled corners. Also didin't help yesterday that our best player at corners Demechellis didn't play. How about a few Mike Doyle front post flick-on corners.

I would agree that certain City players can be physical when required but i don't think we're any more or less physical than most teams.

I do not agree that City go out to foul or play in any bad way, the contrary is true, out of all the Premier teams City are the team that most tries to play football.

I do not agree that City players foul any more than any other team, but as i'm sure there are statistics out there, prove me wrong.

I would agree with your Yaya comment that he often grapples players but not necessarily round their necks.

Your comment about David Silva being Johnny Giles is aimed to be funny or contentious, right? If its serious then you know nothing about Silva and/or football. Yesterday he missed timed 2 tackles, dirty, no way!!!!

Ya ya big bulliesbiggrin.png

Not a lover of Silva's floated corners, too easy to defend, Nasri's are better spiced up with a few kolorov drilled corners. Also didin't help yesterday that our best player at corners Demechellis didn't play. How about a few Mike Doyle front post flick-on corners.

I have seen Mangala score some nice goals.

Take a look.

Given decent service from dead ball situations, he will score 6-8 per season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gbOoQ2qHXA

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Think we're all agreed english is not Pelle's natural language, but anybody who watched the game, will know what he meant: one team had a big team mentality to go out to win the game, the other team didn't have a big team mentality to win the game...don't think i need to tell you who was the big team and who wasn't the big team.

I think he meant as in stature, i.e.. City are a big set o' Bastads and Chelsea are as admitted by Jose, a small pony. Nowt wrong with that summation.

Moral victory.

Mangala is class.

Milner had a very good game.

Ref turned away 4 pens, 3 for us 1 for them, which I thought could have all been given.

That was some debut by Mangala who looks like he can play.

How many positions did Milner feature in: wide right, wide left, right back, central...he was great and got better the longer the game went on...if they'd played last man standing he would have won that.

Thought Dinho played well, and Yaya also stepped up (still see players running past him too often).

Was swapping sms with a chelsea buddy here and said at halftime reckon the ref will spoil it sending someone off. He was booking people for the smallest of things (Fabregas apart,,,how did he not get booked) and boxed himself in. I don't have too much to grumble about Zaba's sending off but Costa definitely gave the ref a decision to make when he squared up to zaba instead of getting on with it...and hands round a throat = sending off!

How did he miss Matic's rugby/wrestling pulldown on Dzeko...penalty all day long. We have good shouts every game but get nothing.

Great game.

CORRECTION: Costa's rugby/wrestling pulldown on Dzeko

I have seen Mangala score some nice goals.

Take a look.

Given decent service from dead ball situations, he will score 6-8 per season.

I enjoyed that, he scores very 'athletic' goals, and loved the flicked back heel goal.

Pellegrini "Agüero has a kick in his knee, David Silva has a problem in his ankle and Pablo Zabaleta is suspended. Fernando and Jovetic will continue recovering from their injuries and Samir Nasri has a groin injury...not looking good with 6 first-choicers out already...hope Silva doesn't have the same ankle problems as last season.

Pellegrini "Agüero has a kick in his knee, David Silva has a problem in his ankle and Pablo Zabaleta is suspended. Fernando and Jovetic will continue recovering from their injuries and Samir Nasri has a groin injury...not looking good with 6 first-choicers out already...hope Silva doesn't have the same ankle problems as last season.

I think he was talking about their being available tonight.

The reports I have read it would appear that everybody except Nasri and Zabaleta will be available for the Hull game.