Manchester City

mrbojangles

While in Manchester last month I picked up a copy of Paul Lake's excellent book 'I"m not really here". Great book, really enjoyed it and I'd recommend it to any fan...doesn't matter if you're not a blue. For the 1st 200 pages its an amusing and entertaining story, but then his very disturbing and bleak injury story starts and it becomes a real insight in to what it must feel like to be a long term injured player. Brilliant book from Colin Bell's heir to the throne...truly sad how two great players final days trod the same path.

Read it about 3 yrs ago. Agree, its a very good read.

Denton boy, like me.smile.png

Went to the same Primary school, though years apartlaugh.png .

Swales comes out of it in a bad light. And he is spot on about the 'new' scoreboard at the North Stand.laugh.png

It also shows the massive difference between then and now.

Paul Lake...Jimmy Armfield...Geoff Hurst...Fletchers Arms...and you...all products of Denton (we'll forgive you Fergies redheaded simply red singer)...and 12 minutes from my place...we're nearly neighbours.

You're right about Swales...he gets another pounding in the David Conn book I'm halfway through...treated Lakey and the club very badly.

Geoff Hurst was Ashton, I think.

Fletchers Arms!!! Spent many a pleasant hour or 2 in there!!laugh.png

While in Manchester last month I picked up a copy of Paul Lake's excellent book 'I"m not really here". Great book, really enjoyed it and I'd recommend it to any fan...doesn't matter if you're not a blue. For the 1st 200 pages its an amusing and entertaining story, but then his very disturbing and bleak injury story starts and it becomes a real insight in to what it must feel like to be a long term injured player. Brilliant book from Colin Bell's heir to the throne...truly sad how two great players final days trod the same path.

Read it about 3 yrs ago. Agree, its a very good read.

Denton boy, like me.smile.png

Went to the same Primary school, though years apartlaugh.png .

Swales comes out of it in a bad light. And he is spot on about the 'new' scoreboard at the North Stand.laugh.png

It also shows the massive difference between then and now.

Paul Lake...Jimmy Armfield...Geoff Hurst...Fletchers Arms...and you...all products of Denton (we'll forgive you Fergies redheaded simply red singer)...and 12 minutes from my place...we're nearly neighbours.

You're right about Swales...he gets another pounding in the David Conn book I'm halfway through...treated Lakey and the club very badly.

Geoff Hurst was Ashton, I think.

Fletchers Arms!!! Spent many a pleasant hour or 2 in there!!laugh.png

Interesting, wiki Denton claim Hurst but Geoff Hurst says Ashton

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/sport/6254/sir-geoff-hurst-what-ive-learned/

Went to bed last night and just before turning off Ch3 (the wife was watching), on came the England game. Now I admit to not being a great fan of England - they were ok to watch when I was a kid/teenager - but for a long time Ive found them a big disappointment. Gave them 35 minutes before I turned off bored...nothing of interest had happened. How some players are chosen...like Henderson. ..shows just how poor we are. 100 cap Rooney looked like the real deal in his first years at utd but if he's the best we've got...Germany and the rest must be crapping themselves. Putting it another way, who out that team would I want at City? Probably only Cahill and Sterling.

You must have got the wrong half BB! Agree that first half was dreadful. [Henderson still cr@p mind].

Germany are crapping themselves about Germany at the moment tongue.png

I obviously saw the first 35 boring minutes . Let's not do as the England rugby team are doing and consider we're getting there in terms of a decent team (our rugby team lacks any flair when you see them up against quality teams like NZ and South Africa).

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/536929/Gareth-Barry-Everton-Roberto-Martinez-Roy-Hodgson-England

Gareth Barry is the BEST midfielder in England and should be in Roy Hodgson's team

GARETH BARRY is better than Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United and Man City's midfielders and should be in Roy Hodgson's England squad, insists Roberto Martinez...

Don't think we've ever replaced Garry Barry and we've been weaker since his departure.

Don't think we've ever replaced Garry Barry and we've been weaker since his departure.

Yeah, I'd agree with that BB.

How was the trip to the uk? Hope you got up to Manchester, sampled some local ale (I enjoyed sampling the Robinsons and Boddingtons on my trip last month), visited the City store, etc.

Yeah, I'd agree with that BB.
How was the trip to the uk? Hope you got up to Manchester, sampled some local ale (I enjoyed sampling the Robinsons and Boddingtons on my trip last month), visited the City store, etc.

I'm still here BB. Just having my last bacon butty and then setting off to Larndon before flying out tonight. Lots of Boddington have been drank but due to international break didn't manage to get a City game in. I have to back next month for Xmas with the family so hope the fixture list is kind

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some 'less attractive' home games over xmas/NY which should make it easier/possible to get tickets...Palace, Burnley and bogey-team Sunderland. Enjoy it.

Just finished reading David Conns excellent book. Don't agree with everything he says and he tends to have a romantic view of football (I skipped the chapter on FC of Mancunia) but he recounts how fillowing the report which led to all seater stadiums, how clubs were not supposed to profit from this situation, but they have, prices for seating has risen so steeply that there's now a lost generation of teenagers to 30 year olds, and football has become a game for 40 year olds and up. 150 odd quid I had to pay last month for me, the wife and our 2 lads...bloody-outrageous!!!

150 odd quid I had to pay last month for me, the wife and our 2 lads...bloody-outrageous!!!

And City are one of the cheapest. Think yourself lucky you don't support Arsenal. Actually, never mind about the cost at Arsenal, just think yourself lucky you don't support them :D

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess with Chelsea so far out of sight, Man U and Liverpool seeming temporarily flawed and Soton/Swans only temporary gladiators (maybe), we become everyone's favourite whipping boy on the footy threads.

We'll take that as a complimentsmile.png

Some 'less attractive' home games over xmas/NY which should make it easier/possible to get tickets...Palace, Burnley and bogey-team Sunderland. Enjoy it.

Just finished reading David Conns excellent book. Don't agree with everything he says and he tends to have a romantic view of football (I skipped the chapter on FC of Mancunia) but he recounts how fillowing the report which led to all seater stadiums, how clubs were not supposed to profit from this situation, but they have, prices for seating has risen so steeply that there's now a lost generation of teenagers to 30 year olds, and football has become a game for 40 year olds and up. 150 odd quid I had to pay last month for me, the wife and our 2 lads...bloody-outrageous!!!

Don't blame the clubs for the escalation in ticket prices.

A very large share of the blame goes directly to players and their agents.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-legend-fagan-passes-8137351

Sad news. One from my dad's age group. Must ask him about this taking penalties with either feet mentioned in the article as I've never seen anybody do that.

When ever I ask my 84 yr old dad who was greatest City player he's ever seen, he always says Denis Law (mk1) or Bobby Johnson, never Colin Bell, so they must have been bloody good.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Don't blame the clubs for the escalation in ticket prices.

A very large share of the blame goes directly to players and their agents.

I think there's several to blame, including, the government of the time who viewed all supporters of the time as hooligans who needed taming by sitting and carrying id cards, those who made the top division's all seated (yet the lower divisions - rugby, etc - were safe to stand...how's that for screwed logic...either its safe to stand for all or its unsafe for all)...the clubs by constantly rising entrance prices over the past 25 years or so...the players and agents especially forign players. Net result is football in the uk top divisions is a an expensive sport/entertainment.

I guess with Chelsea so far out of sight, Man U and Liverpool seeming temporarily flawed and Soton/Swans only temporary gladiators (maybe), we become everyone's favourite whipping boy on the footy threads.

Arayna! What you on about me old china? Seriously what does your comment relate to?

Arayna! What you on about me old china? Seriously what does your comment relate to?

I wouldn't worry BB, Goons fans are all paranoid, probably been listening to the Frenchman too much laugh.png

I understood what he was commenting too, it as mrbo's mentioning about Arsenal's ticket prices.

I understood what he was commenting too, it as mrbo's mentioning about Arsenal's ticket prices.

I understand mr.bj was just stating a fact about Arse being the most expensive. ..don't see that as having a go at Arse.

I understand mr.bj was just stating a fact about Arse being the most expensive. ..don't see that as having a go at Arse.

I think it was the comment, just think yourself lucky you don't support them is what he was replying too.

I think it was the comment, just think yourself lucky you don't support them is what he was replying too.

Guess we'll never know if Santisuk doesn't tell us himself. On a related matter as you and he are manu and arsenal fans respectively, have you seen this article?

"...never in the last 10 years have Arsenal and United both been so far adrift of the Premier League pace-setters at this stage of the season (11 games played)."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11245044/How-Arsenal-and-Manchester-United-have-become-irrelevant-to-Premier-League-title-race.html

Manchester City need to win all of their remaining Premier League games in 2014 if they are to stay in the title race, says manager Manuel Pellegrini.

Not sure making such comments helps, but instead put the team under even more pressure. Surely Mancini's Manu are going to win it or Mourinho's little horse comments is the way to go right now. By all means tell the team their targets but outwardly reduce the pressure by maintaining Chelsea have all but won it.

Haven't looked back but surely even 10 point leads at this stage of the season have been overhauled numerous times in the Prem's history.

Seems unlikely but it always does seem unlikely in advance of it happening.