Manchester City

mrbojangles

Sky pundit Gary Neville last night said that the result called into question whether City had got it. He said: Theres a bigger question with City. When you win the league, you have to show progression and grow.This team has been together for three or four years and in these next few weeks I think its now or never for them. For the money theyve invested, theyre going to want back-to-back titles. Against Chelsea and Barcelona [in the Champions League next month], if you fail in those games and fail to retain the title this season, you have to ask whether this team has got it.

Red Nev sticking the knife in. Champions, Runnersup, Champions and most likely Runnersup (possibly Champions) this ain't bad. I'll admit that at hardly any point this season have we played at the peak shown in previous seasons: key players unavailable, teams are wise to our play or not good enough anymore? Some players need to be moved on and replaced with better (kolorov, boyata, guidetti, navas, dzeko...all should sell on ok), others need competition (sagna isn't competition for zaba), others need to replaced in the next 18 months to pep it up or due to age (Nasri...yaya). If Nastasic is being sold, Boyota not good enough, Demi close to retiring we need decent replacements to compete with Kompany and Mangala. The core of the team has been together 4 years and the only key players to leave in that time were Tevez and Barry who haven't been replaced by as good or better players.

think city ballsed up by not strengthening their starting XI in the summer really. you finish champions you should invest and buy a couple of absolutely top players who freshen things up and help you kick on - a top name centre back and perhaps a proper top class left back would have helped. probably some genuine cover for yaya as well, particularly knowing he was off to the ACN. chelsea strengthened their starting XI and bought a whole bunch of goals and assists, and it's showing.

Most teams come and play on the break; I thought Arsenal played it better than all visitors of recent seasons. Until Jovetic came on we were pedestrian and short of ideas. Too many of our players were poor...thought only Clichy, Fernandinho, Silva and Zaba did anything. Aguero looked rusty. Close game, best team won. As it's been all season, its hard to see us pipping Chelsea, we just aren't playing well enough regularly enough.

I have to say I was shocked to see how much time Ollie had in the box for the second.

My point. Company gets pulled out of position, often forward leaving the other center back exposed.

Company/Kompany was marking your giant german and wasn't to blame for the goal; think it was Fernando NOT picking up Giroud.

think city ballsed up by not strengthening their starting XI in the summer really. you finish champions you should invest and buy a couple of absolutely top players who freshen things up and help you kick on - a top name centre back and perhaps a proper top class left back would have helped. probably some genuine cover for yaya as well, particularly knowing he was off to the ACN. chelsea strengthened their starting XI and bought a whole bunch of goals and assists, and it's showing.

You ARE aware of FFP yes...do you think that might be the reason?

you spent £32m on an unproven centreback, £12m on a relatively unknown midfielder, £6m on a keeper and have just lashed another £30m on a striker in the january window <deleted>. poor highest-paid sports team in the world not being allowed to spend even more money. you angling after sympathy for being subject to FFP here?

• Like 1

Watching Zabaleta last night - still an outstanding right back - only added to the mystery of why bother recruiting Sagna for very good wages when you are tight up against FFP. Spoiling move only? I still rate Sagna as a good workman Prem right back, though clearly not in Zaba's class.

You could make a pretty good mid table Prem club from those that have left (for whatever reason but mostly glory seeking) Arsenal in the last 5 seasons - 4 of whom are in Manchester. Must confess that my pessimistic thoughts in the run-up to last night's game included wondering how long it would be before Sanchez joins that old-boys club!

Still think City are in the title race - not long before Aguero is match fit and yaya yoyos back to the land of cold rain. Different ball-game as the Yanks say.

you spent £32m on an unproven centreback, £12m on a relatively unknown midfielder, £6m on a keeper and have just lashed another £30m on a striker in the january window <deleted>. poor highest-paid sports team in the world not being allowed to spend even more money. you angling after sympathy for being subject to FFP here?

Stevie you forgot to also add someone else's money too.

Watching Zabaleta last night - still an outstanding right back - only added to the mystery of why bother recruiting Sagna for very good wages when you are tight up against FFP. Spoiling move only? I still rate Sagna as a good workman Prem right back, though clearly not in Zaba's class.

You could make a pretty good mid table Prem club from those that have left (for whatever reason but mostly glory seeking) Arsenal in the last 5 seasons - 4 of whom are in Manchester. Must confess that my pessimistic thoughts in the run-up to last night's game included wondering how long it would be before Sanchez joins that old-boys club!

Still think City are in the title race - not long before Aguero is match fit and yaya yoyos back to the land of cold rain. Different ball-game as the Yanks say.

Why we went for Sagna - he's been very average - when we have Richards is a mystery to City fans also.

Why we went for Sagna - he's been very average - when we have Richards is a mystery to City fans also.

Because he was "free" *snigger*.

And also because Richards is an injury prone carthorse who never really progressed past U21 standard.

Sorry but which way do you want it here? First you said "think city ballsed up by not strengthening their starting XI in the summer", then you come back listing players we've bought!

Don't think City fans are looking ever from any sympathy about anything...our cloth was cut by FFP in the summer was my point, and from your first comment you didn't seem aware of that (but isn't Google a wonderful thing).

And also because Richards is an injury prone carthorse who never really progressed past U21 standard.

I think you are right about sagna, so why the upset from arsenal fans?

I wouldn't rate your first choice rightback for years, sagna, any better than richards, and richards has age on his side. City should have sorted out richards, who when he plays looks committed unlike sagna who does just enough (I thought he was supposed to be an attacking fullback but he ALWAYS plays it to someone else and never tries to bust a gut aszaba).

I think you are right about sagna, so why the upset from arsenal fans?

I wouldn't rate your first choice rightback for years, sagna, any better than richards, and richards has age on his side. City should have sorted out richards, who when he plays looks committed unlike sagna who does just enough (I thought he was supposed to be an attacking fullback but he ALWAYS plays it to someone else and never tries to bust a gut aszaba).

We're not upset. It is realistically his last contract and he got a monumentally excessive offer from Citeh, so good luck to him.

Just be honest about it.

Fans know what players mean when they say they are moving for "Football reasons".

article-2242272-16543087000005DC-200_468

Sorry but which way do you want it here? First you said "think city ballsed up by not strengthening their starting XI in the summer", then you come back listing players we've bought!

Don't think City fans are looking ever from any sympathy about anything...our cloth was cut by FFP in the summer was my point, and from your first comment you didn't seem aware of that (but isn't Google a wonderful thing).

because you seem to have spent £80m+ on players who didn't strengthen your first XI. which was my point. you already had the squad, you won a title with it. next step forward was to improve the first XI rather than adding depth an unproven ability to the squad. so it wasn't like you had absolutely no money to spend.

because you seem to have spent £80m+ on players who didn't strengthen your first XI. which was my point. you already had the squad, you won a title with it. next step forward was to improve the first XI rather than adding depth an unproven ability to the squad. so it wasn't like you had absolutely no money to spend.

Well I'm pleased to see you sorted out your conflicting posts.

FFP allowed City a nett spend £49.

Mangala...young french international, one for the future, jury still out, £31.8 vs outgoing Lescott. Yet to see if he'll be an improvement but from what I've seen I expect him to be a decent addition (read on here also City fans' opinions on Nastasic).

Fernando, hardly an unknown, 7yrs Porto, decent addition to the team, £12m vs outgoing Garcia and Rodwell. Definite improvement.

Caballero, a Pellegrini-man, £6m vs Pantillimon. Yet to prove if better than Pantillimon.

So that's about a £40m nett spend to improve the squad.

We had to let Negredo and Richards move on...not much we could do about that, they wanted out.

We've also RECENTLY BOUGHT Bony for £25m (?)...too early to say whether he'll be an improvement. His fee will be traded off against Negredo's.

So with the exception of Mangala who management clearly feel will be another Kompany, we had no choice but to buy cheaper and within the £49m permitted. Seems owners can't spend whatever they want to on players these days anymore, even if they can afford to, the established teams won't allow it (think we all know why).

again with the poor us poor us card? you honestly expect other clubs' fans to have sympathy with city? the highest paid sports club in the world that came with a free brand new stadium?

you might have to enlighten me on why the 'established' teams are all out to get you though.

• Like 1

Its all hindsight but I would have liked to have seen Dzeko earlier yesterday. City did improve with Jovetic but Navas was crossing all game to nobody. There was very little creativity in the middle of the pitch and nothing much happening there. If Dzeko is fit enough to play then having a big man to latch on to those crosses is essential. Its infrequent that little KUN is going to score from a header.

I'm probably beating a dead horse but not having Yaya or Nasri is a huge problem for City. Both hold and shield the ball well and offer patience to the attack in the final third. Both interact well with Silva. Fernandinho was pushed forward yesterday and it doesn't fit with his skill set. He doesn't hold the ball, or shield it well enough. If Lampard was fit enough to go 90 I'd rather see him in Yaya's spot than Fernandinho. Have Fernandinho in his usual DM position, or drop Fernandinho and put Fernando in that spot.

But as I say, all hindsight, and Lampard probably can't be depended on for a full 90 anyhow.

Edited by jellydog
  • Like 1

again with the poor us poor us card? you honestly expect other clubs' fans to have sympathy with city? the highest paid sports club in the world that came with a free brand new stadium?

Nobody is giving the "poor us" stevie and we don't expect sympathy. BB was simply stating the facts that we weren't allowed to spend big and we had a wage cap, if we were to comply with FFP. That's all. We're now at about the point of break even. So we might blow £500m on Messi in the summer tongue.png

As for the free stadium. It's amazing how urban myths are started. It wasn't free at all. The stadium cost £90m to build and was funded with lottery (Sport England)money. Manchester city council spent an additional £22m to have the running track removed and convert it for City to occupy after the Commonwealth Games. Upto now we have given the Council about £20m back in rent and continue to give them approx £4m per year. City also gave Maine Road to the council, and spent £20m installing bars, restaurants and corporate entertaining areas at the ground. So we gave the council our old ground and spent about £40m. Hardly "free" is it.

you might have to enlighten me on why the 'established' teams are all out to get you though.

What "poor us poor us card"? No need to feel sorry for ourselves mate, we're thriving these days thanks to the Sheik. I was just giving you some background to your original post below on why we haven't bought big, as you seemed not to be aware of the facts:

"think city ballsed up by not strengthening their starting XI in the summer really. you finish champions you should invest and buy a couple of absolutely top players who freshen things up and help you kick on - a top name centre back and perhaps a proper top class left back would have helped. probably some genuine cover for yaya as well, particularly knowing he was off to the ACN. chelsea strengthened their starting XI and bought a whole bunch of goals and assists, and it's showing."

So tell us then, who should City buy as genuine cover for Yaya?

I would agree with you that Chelsea strengthened in the summer, particularly with Fabregas who was the buy of the summer. Think you'll find that we get through this year's FFP and then we strengthen as Chelsea did. Can't see the Sheik letting things slip now, can you?

Regarding your last paragraph, I'm assuming you're a football fan and not someone with no interest passing through this forum, so I'm sure you'll have a reasonable grasp to what I was alluding to with the 'established clubs', but if not there's a hell of a lot of interesting stuff on this out there but try this one quickly plucked from google:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/09/sport/football/football-financial-fair-play/

I nearly missed the "free brand new stadium" barb. Be fair to say Machester Council needed City as tenants probably more than we needed a new ground (we'd not long before opened the new Kippax) in order to kill the potential white elephant threat and get the required financing after the earlier failed bids for the Olympics. Here have a read:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Manchester_Stadium

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/8257210/How-Manchester-City-won-the-stadium-lottery.html

Who do you support as a matter of interest, as you're clearly not too up on all things MCFC.

On this date last year Arsenal were still top with 51pts ahead of City with 50 pts.

Arsenal now have 39 pts; a 12 point drop 25% almost) and yet with Sanchez on board they look a better team than last year.

We're on 47 pts now, but still haven't got out of 3rd gear this seaon.

Chelsea were 3rd on 49pts but are on 52 pts now, clearly this is a better chelsea side than last season's.

Suarez was 4th on 43pts and Lovren/Lallana/Lambert are on 35pts (boy did somebody screw up letting the best player in Britain at that time leave!).

Plucky manu were 7th on 37pts and are now 4th on 40pts...LVG working that magic.

Just seen Yaya give one of his best performances as a disinterested footballer, going through the motions.

Hopefully it will mean Bony arriving earlier than was first thought.

This African Nations cup gets worse every year. Boring, cr@p football and despite the commentators trying to hype it up, it really is sub standard.