Manchester City

mrbojangles

Going back to last weekend, EVERYTHING I've read on City forums blames Pellegrini for the defeat due to the bizarre starting IX and failure to react quickly enough to counter the damage being done by a rampant Liverpool midfield/forward vs our static midfield/defense. I have no doubt that the management in Abu Dhabi will have mentally logged that one down and Pellegrini needs to move us forward and win something if he is to survive in to next season in this cut throat business.

Going back to last weekend, EVERYTHING I've read on City forums blames Pellegrini for the defeat due to the bizarre starting IX and failure to react quickly enough to counter the damage being done by a rampant Liverpool midfield/forward vs our static midfield/defense. I have no doubt that the management in Abu Dhabi will have mentally logged that one down and Pellegrini needs to move us forward and win something if he is to survive in to next season in this cut throat business.

There is and has been criticism of Pellegrini during his reign that he doesn't seem to know when and how to react to certain situations during games and i think its justified. No doubt he's an excellent manager but he's playing for high stakes in an unforgiving business. Its early but at this stage i don't think he'll last past this season and theres some very good options out there to replace him.

There is and has been criticism of Pellegrini during his reign that he doesn't seem to know when and how to react to certain situations during games and i think its justified. No doubt he's an excellent manager but he's playing for high stakes in an unforgiving business. Its early but at this stage i don't think he'll last past this season and theres some very good options out there to replace him.

That criticism from City fans and non-City fans/media has for the most part been warranted. The 2 most obvious criticisms were his continued insistence in 442 and his failure to substitute players until well in to the 2nd half. The end of last season saw him change from the 442 and this season he's been very good at subbing at halftime. He's in his 60s, he's a decent manager and man but he still has to make improvements. In the past, particularly in cup games against lesser English teams he's gambled and failed in playing weakened teams resulting losses; Saturday he did exactly that against Liverpool and came unstuck. The biggest irritant for City fans since the weekend is Pellegrini's failure to come clean TO THE FANS and explain his reasoning behind his team selection and take the blame himself on the chin...he fckd up. Had he selected a more sensible team on Saturday, and one which took in to account the oppositions style, we may still have lost to a very-good-on-the-day Liverpool team, but at least I'm sure we would have put in a decent 1st half performance and made a game of it.

]

I agree. You've heard us on here criticise some of his strategies and team selections, as recently as before the game against Liverpool. I like Pelle as a man but I think there are several better men for the job out there. I honestly sometimes think that the quality of players we have get results purely because of their individual abilities and not because of his selection or tactics.

I grudgingly agree. I will give Pellegrini credit for pretty well managing a squad with a number of personalities though. Not always an easy task. I don't think the success City has had is completely down to the pure talent, but it has definitely helped.

I agree. You've heard us on here criticise some of his strategies and team selections, as recently as before the game against Liverpool. I like Pelle as a man but I think there are several better men for the job out there. I honestly sometimes think that the quality of players we have get results purely because of their individual abilities and not because of his selection or tactics.

Correct. I don't think theres a question as to whether he's a very good manager. He undoubtedly is. The question is, is he getting the best out of this squad and thus far the answers probably no. I've always felt one of the traits of a top manager is the ability to switch tactics, formations during a game and i just feel he comes up short time and again.

Can't be easy having the likes of Carlo Ancelotti open to offers either.

Edited by carmine

1v0 down. Foul on the goal or not?

Difference between the teams; their finishing

No one has stood out for me, maybe only Yaya.

Defensively we look nervy again

Navas and Sagna created nothing, get Sterling on for Navas now (HT).

Hart saved us a few times, but Juventus look capable of another goal, City less so.

Both teams unlucky to hit the post and not go in. Delph on for Dinho on 60 mins. City struggling to create. I assume Pelle is saving Sterling to come on for Aguero soon; both Navas and Aguero not been in it.

City don't look capable of breaking down this 11 man defence.

Sterling on 67mins for Aguero.

Wily Juventus just know how to play these games better. Immense defence again.

Hart made some great saves. City didn't take their chances when they came along, Juventus did.

Everything good came through KdB and Yaya. Not sure why Navas bothered tonight, did nothing. Thought Otamendi was dodgy; back 4 not good enough. Our MOM Hart.

Got up hoping for a classic or goal-fest (OK the latter unlikely given no Silva and Aguero still match unfit). Got neither, but did get a reminder that Italian teams can still chew down on talented teams. First time I've been impressed with the Pogba boy wonder too.

Dear me Raheem - not ready to push for a central striker role a la Theo, by a country mile!

^Wasn't a classic for the neutral fan.

Sterling made things happen for us (linked well with KdB) when he came on, but he's going to be having nightmares for the next few days over that open-goal miss. Think his big problem is, playing leftside, most chances fall for his (weaker) left foot. Should have scored, should have scored.

First time I've been impressed with the Pogba boy wonder too.

Yep he looked good last night. Seen Pogba quite a few times for Juventus over the past 2 seasons. He's clearly very talented, would love to see him playing for us, but he only flits in and out of games, and he ain't no Yaya in his pomp. Apparently he was offered to City for +70m but he ain't worth more than KdB in my opinion who's doing it now and not in the future as always stated in Pogba's case.

Yep he looked good last night. Seen Pogba quite a few times for Juventus over the past 2 seasons. He's clearly very talented, would love to see him playing for us, but he only flits in and out of games, and he ain't no Yaya in his pomp. Apparently he was offered to City for +70m but he ain't worth more than KdB in my opinion who's doing it now and not in the future as always stated in Pogba's case.

If Pogba regularly flits in and out of games he's hardly be one of, if not the most highly rated central midfielder in the world and a walk in to any team.

A comparison to De Bruyne largely irrelevant as they are completely different players but i'd have to say you'd be one your own (presumably with a few other City fans granted) thinking Pogba's not worth a lot more.

What i would guarantee you is if you had had him in your central midfield it would have gone a long way to avoiding that shambolic mess against Liverpool.

Anyway, i'd have thought his next destination will be Spain.

Edited by carmine

If Pogba regularly flits in and out of games he's hardly be one of, if not the most highly rated central midfielder in the world and a walk in to any team.

A comparison to De Bruyne largely irrelevant as they are completely different players but i'd have to say you'd be one your own (presumably with a few other City fans granted) thinking Pogba's not worth a lot more.

What i would guarantee you is if you had had him in your central midfield it would have gone a long way to avoiding that shambolic mess against Liverpool.

I think it's fair to say that Pogba regularly flits in and out of games - he doesn't dominate games yet - AND, he is one of the most highly rated central midfielder in the world and would walk in to any team.

I would agree that as player types, a comparison to De Bruyne isn't like for like as they are completely different types of players (probably Pogba and Yaya is a closer comparison but one is a young buck and the other becoming a veteran), however my comparison was that they are both highly rated players in the world and would walk in to any team and MONEYWISE I can't see Pogba being worth 20m more than KdB.

I don't think Pogba would have made much difference to our team last Saturday, which was a disaster brought about by no legs in midfield, too slow in midfield/defence, no cover for the nervy defence, as Pogba is more of an artist - Fernandinho or somebody with his work ethic would have made a difference, even Delph would have made a difference.

I don't think for a minute Pogba's next destination will be to the Etihad.

Wife's Diary---

Today, I thought my husband was acting weird. I’d been shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late, but he made no comment on it. Conversation wasn't flowing, so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk. He agreed, but he didn't say much. I asked him what was wrong. He said nothing. I asked him if it was my fault that he was upset. He said he wasn't upset; that it had nothing to do with me, and not to worry about it. On the way home, I told him I loved him. He smiled slightly, and kept driving. I can't explain his behavior. I don't know why he didn't say, 'I love you, too'. When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat there, quietly and watched TV. He continued to seem distant and absent. Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed. About fifteen minutes later, he came to bed. But, I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts were somewhere else. He fell asleep. I cried, I didn't know what to do. I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else. My life is a disaster!

Husband's Diary--

How the hell did Sterling miss that open goal, how?

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say that Pogba regularly flits in and out of games - he doesn't dominate games yet - AND, he is one of the most highly rated central midfielder in the world and would walk in to any team.

I would agree that as player types, a comparison to De Bruyne isn't like for like as they are completely different types of players (probably Pogba and Yaya is a closer comparison but one is a young buck and the other becoming a veteran), however my comparison was that they are both highly rated players in the world and would walk in to any team and MONEYWISE I can't see Pogba being worth 20m more than KdB.

I don't think Pogba would have made much difference to our team last Saturday, which was a disaster brought about by no legs in midfield, too slow in midfield/defence, no cover for the nervy defence, as Pogba is more of an artist - Fernandinho or somebody with his work ethic would have made a difference, even Delph would have made a difference.

"De Bruyne would walk into any team" biggrin.png now you are aving a laugh.

He'd be first name on team sheet for Spurs though, eh! ;-)

]

He'd be first name on team sheet for Spurs though, eh! ;-)

]

At 59m i would hope so laugh.png

Either you are havin a laugh Alfie, or you ain't seen De Bruyne play. He really is the real deal that lad. He has far excelled my highest expectations of him before he played his first game for us.

Either you are havin a laugh Alfie, or you ain't seen De Bruyne play. He really is the real deal that lad. He has far excelled my highest expectations of him before he played his first game for us.

oops wrong poster !! i was replying to BB of "walk in to any team " !!

Edited by alfieconn