Manchester City

mrbojangles

Well you may just end up with Ronaldinhio if the paper talk is correct.

His brother was visiting allegedly.

I think there is a good chance Ronaldinho is in the bracket of players who has made so much money they have lost the desire to play at their best, kind of like a young rich boxer who has gone soft with having too much of the good life.

Man City signing him is taking the Newcastle route of signing past it superstars and is more of an ego boost for the chairman then anything else.

No disrespect intended as they are one of the clubs who are big enough to become champions league regulars but for him to go to Man City as opposed to Milan at this stage would solely be because he is getting more money.

Good article in the Times a few days ago

"Roberto de Assis Moreira, agent and brother of Ronaldinho, was back in Spain yesterday, having been royally entertained at the City of Manchester Stadium on Saturday. He spent time with Pini Zahavi, the match-maker, and met representatives of Thaksin Shinawatra, the Manchester City owner, who was detained in Thailand preparing for a trial on corruption charges.

It has been reported that City are prepared to offer Ronaldinho wages of more than £100,000 a week and that Assis will put these terms to his sibling, who has had a disappointing season at Barcelona and is widely expected to move in the summer. In all probability, their conversation will conclude sharply around the time Ronaldinho is introduced to the concept of the Intertoto Cup, which City plan to enter. Having appeared jaded at the prospect of even the most glittering prizes, Ronaldinho is unlikely to have his appetite reawakened by the thought of taking part in a competition rated so highly around Europe that it will be abolished in 2009.

A contrivance to allow the pools companies to continue making money through the summer and featuring teams who failed to qualify for European competition by conventional means, the Intertoto Cup was conceived with the slogan “the cup for the cupless”. Hope for the hopeless would be more appropriate, which is why each year this shipwrecked tournament becomes an attraction for those clubs who once had loftier ambitions. City are perfect Intertoto Cup fodder. Ronaldinho is not.

Anyway, it does not matter. Ronaldinho will get better offers, financially and professionally, and even if he does not, when push comes to bank-breaking shove, something would happen to scupper the deal at City’s end. It would have to because to judge from his previous statement, Thaksin can no more afford to keep Ronaldinho in the manner to which he is accustomed than English football can continue living beyond its means with the credit crunch coming.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...icle3708441.ece

Anyone heard any more on this.

and does anyone have plans for watching City tour? I believe Macau/Hong Kong plus Singapore and KL?

Lee

MANCHESTER CITY have lost confidence in Sven-Göran Eriksson after their slide down the Premier League and hope to replace him in the summer, with Portugal’s Luiz Felipe Scolari their preferred choice.

Thaksin Shinawatra, the Thai billionaire who owns City, is unhappy that his club have tumbled from third to eighth, with qualification for Europe now an improbable hope. Thailand’s former prime minister made a place in next season’s Uefa Cup the minimum requirement after a promising start under Eriksson.

Before yesterday’s 2-1 win at Sunderland, City had won only two of their past 12, and were eliminated from the FA Cup by Sheffield United. Shinawatra has been unimpressed by the performances of most of the players for whom he paid more than £50m and wants to change managers before committing another £30m in the close season.

He also wants to make a big-money signing, as a statement of intent, and has declared an interest in Barcelona’s Ronaldinho, but Eriksson is said to be unenthusiastic about the prospect of working with the twice World Player of the Year, who has had a poor, injury-interrupted season.

On the recommendation of Jerome Anderson, his chosen agent and recruiter-in-chief, Shinawatra appointed Eriksson last July on a three-year contract worth £2m a year plus bonuses. He then bankrolled eight signings for just over £46m and forked out another £4m for Portsmouth’s Benjani Mwaruwari during the January transfer window.

After their dispiriting finish to 2006-07, when they took just two points from their final six games, City started this campaign with three successive league wins, one of them in the Manchester derby. Despite defeats at Arsenal and Blackburn, they were still playing well and running third in the table when the wheels came off at the end of October, with a 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea. They recovered well, taking seven points from their next three games, but the rot set in towards the end of January, when the FA Cup defeat at Bramall Lane preceded losses to Arsenal, Everton and Reading. More recently, one point from three matches against Bolton, Birmingham and Chelsea has further concerned board and fans alike.

Some of the summer signings, such as Elano, Martin Petrov and Geovanni, who started the season so well, have tailed off badly, while Rolando Bianchi, who cost £8.8m from Reggina, was poor from the start and quickly offloaded to Lazio. Felipe Caicedo, the Ecuador striker, who cost £5.2m from Basle, has yet to start a game. Eriksson will be paid off after one season, and Scolari, the man the Football Association wanted to replace him as England coach, is now City’s target. The World Cup-winning Brazilian plans to move on after taking Portugal to Euro 2008 in June.

Pini Zahavi, the so-called “super agent”, will be Shinawatra’s go-between this time, and it is believed that Kia Joorabchian, who brought Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano to England, will also be involved.

Ok, couple of games to go, so let's have your votes for player of the year.

Mine. Dunney, for the 4th year. Followed by Hart / Johnson / Elano. No Micah i hear you say - no, i'm not a lover of all the hype but i know that he is - when he learns what life is all about, like Dunney had to, then he could be awesome like a Sol Campbell at his peak.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Yep Dunney for me again too Bred. 33 league and 6 cup appearances. The guy just goes on and on.

I'll also go with Hart, however Johnson has had too much time out injured, although not his fault, it knocks him off my list as we are talking about a full season. Also, even though i have my doubts about him, i think Corluka deserves a mention purely for the amount of games (30 league and 6 cup) that he has played.

Micah is definately on my list though. You may call it hype but we miss him when he's out.

Manchester City to play in Thailand, HK

SINGAPORE, April 15 (Reuters) - Sports news in brief from around the world:

* Soccer - English Premier League club Manchester City will play friendly matches in Hong Kong and Thailand next month, a senior club official said.

"We want to take the Premier League out there, first in Thailand, then Hong Kong," Executive Director Taweesuk Jack Srisumrid told Reuters. "We will play local teams, perhaps the national teams also."

THE Blues are in talks about an end-of-season exhibition match against a South China select side in Hong Kong on May 22. Italian side Juventus will also fulfil a fixture in the Chinese province. City could stop off for a second game in Thailand while they are away.

M.E.N

FA Youth Cup Final tomorrow!

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCu...inal_report.htm

This one has a decent video from the first leg, check it out.

http://www.footballingworld.com/2008/04/15...age-only-could/

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=1...amp;toyear=2008

I was at the '86 final we won against ManUre, remember it well, 20,000 at Maine Road, a great night out and a great team - * The starting 11 in the two legs of the 1986 final were: Crompton, Mills, Hinchcliffe, Brightwell, Redmond (capt), Thackeray, White, Moulden, Lake, Scott, Boyd. Sub = Macauley.

[from memory, the ones i've shown in bold played first team football for us]

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Man City triumph in FA Youth Cup

City had previously won the FA Youth Cup in 1986

Manchester City beat Chelsea 3-1 in front of a crowd of 19,503 at Eastlands in the second leg of the FA Youth Cup final, to claim a 4-2 aggregate win.

Chelsea took an early lead when Jacob Mellis's shot was saved by City keeper Greg Hartley, but the ball bounced in off Ryan McGivern for an own goal.

But skipper Ben Mee and Vladimir Weiss soon put City 2-1 up at the interval.

After Weiss was fouled, a late David Ball penalty helped City lift the Cup for the second time in their history.

Daniel Sturridge, who scored as the first leg was drawn 1-1 at Stamford Bridge, was missing for City.

The striker missed out after picking up a knee injury in the first team's 2-1 win at Sunderland on Saturday.

Chelsea were contesting their first Youth Cup final for 47 years, but they finished with 10 men after Mellis was sent off for a late challenge on City's Kieran Trippier, who had to be stretchered off.

Eriksson determined to stay in charge at City

Sven-Goran Eriksson insists he will still be at the Manchester City helm next season.

Speculation has grown about the Swede's future since owner Thaksin Shinawatra's admission yesterday that he has not been happy with the second half of the club's season.

City made a flying start to their Barclays Premier League campaign after the arrival of billionaire Thaksin and Eriksson last summer but they have fallen away since the new year.

City have won just four of their 14 league games in 2008 but remain eighth in the table and in with a chance of European qualification.

"These kinds of stories do not annoy me," said former England boss Eriksson in the Manchester Evening News. "When you live in football you also live with rumours.

"I have a contract for two more seasons and that is it. I am here to complete what I started. I can understand people not being happy with the second half of the season.

"I have not been happy with it either but after winning at Sunderland I hope we are back now and everything should be on track."

City are back in action on Sunday when they host FA Cup finalists Portsmouth.

From skysports:-

City close on record Jo deal

Reports claim Brazlian is heading for Eastlands

Manchester City are reported to have agreed a Russian record deal for CKSA Moscow's Brazilian striker Jo.

The 21-year-old was first targeted by City in January but CSKA were not willing to do a deal at the time.

Now it is claimed that City have lodged a 25 million euro (£20million) bid for Jo - which CSKA president Yevgeny Giner is ready to accept.

Leading Russian newspaper Tvoi Den claims that the player has already agreed terms on his contract with City after his agent Giuliano Bertolucci met with CSKA last Friday.

Valencia were also keen but City were ready to do business now and CSKA did not want to wait for the Spanish club to ponder their next move.

The last few weeks have seen reports that City owner Thaksin Shinawatra was far from happy with the club's performance in the second half of the season and there was even pressure on manager Sven Goran Eriksson.

But Eriksson has always remained confident in the face of those reports and it seems Shinawatra has again backed him up by agreeing a substantial fee - a club record - for the impressive Brazilian.

Jo is a full Brazil international although he has not played anywhere near enough to automatically qualify for a work permit. However, he is more than likely to receive one on appeal from the Home Office.

Jo has enjoyed a bright start to the new Russian season with two goals in the opening two games for CSKA.

The Club has today confirmed plans for a 10-day post-season tour to Thailand and Hong Kong.

Sven-Goran Eriksson will take his first team squad and some members of the FA Youth Cup winning side to Asia for two friendly games.

The first match is sponsored by Club partner, Singha Beer and will be played in Thailand on Saturday May 17 against a Thai League All-Star XI.

The City squad will then head to Hong Kong to take part in a night of football where they kick-off the first of two games.

Sven’s men will take on a South China Invitational XI before Italian giants Juventus then play against the country’s leading team, South China.

The Club has today confirmed plans for a 10-day post-season tour to Thailand and Hong Kong.

Sven-Goran Eriksson will take his first team squad and some members of the FA Youth Cup winning side to Asia for two friendly games.

The first match is sponsored by Club partner, Singha Beer and will be played in Thailand on Saturday May 17 against a Thai League All-Star XI.

The City squad will then head to Hong Kong to take part in a night of football where they kick-off the first of two games.

Sven’s men will take on a South China Invitational XI before Italian giants Juventus then play against the country’s leading team, South China.

Anyone know where the Thai game is going to be played? Bangkok I would assume but anyone know for sure. Will try and get to the Hong Kong game too.

What if Thaksin doesn't give Swen the money in summer? What are the chances of breaking top four's hold on Champions League then?

Will Ericsson stay if he can't take Man City into Europe? He can try winning the UEFA Cup first (and that would be in his third season), but anything short of that will be a a bad spot on his resume: "I've lost in UEFA Cup semifinals - Who hasn't? Even some CSKA Moscow won the cup once".

Wouldn't it be wise of him to cut his losses early, blame everything on Thaksin, and hope some other English club picks him up? There's Newcastle - lots of money, no results, or Spurs, or even Liverpool, potentially.

I mean, can they implement Thaksin's plan without spending tons of money? Two-three years is a short time to build a top class team from scraps and show results.

The answer to your last question is a resounding NO.

The answer to your 1st question, I believe, is that without the money, Erikkson will leave and go to Chelsea.

Everything else is subject to the money being made available, which I think will be, although you can never know .

From yesterday's match program it looks like there won't be too much cash available:

I have a definite plan, a strategy: the first year top 10; the second year to qualify for Europe; and the third we want to be in the top four and qualify for the Champions League. We have to fit the plan. I know from what we have shown already this year that a top six spot will not be too much pressure but to break into the top four will. So that is when I will be prepared to spend a lot of money; to take us into the top four. The message is this: I will not be spending huge amounts of money this summer but next summer I will.

Anyone know where the Thai game is going to be played? Bangkok I would assume but anyone know for sure. Will try and get to the Hong Kong game too.

Sorry to answer my own question but apparently the match is due to be played in Chonburi.

So it's 'shoot-ourseolves-in-the-foot-time' yet again - i'm still finding all of this hard to belive! I reckon SGE has done an excellent job and should have another year to see what he can do. Thaksin is now doing what we all expected when he took over, DICTATORSHIP!

A poll conducted by the Manchester Evening News yesterday resulted in 97 per cent of the votes cast calling for Eriksson to stay. His popularity among supporters is high, not only for his success in guiding City to home and away victories over Manchester United this season, but the belief that he has also brought style and respect to the club.

Number of managers Man City have had in last 21 years

Sven-Goran Eriksson 2007-

Stuart Pearce 2005-2007

Kevin Keegan 2001-2005

Joe Royle 1998-2001

Frank Clark 1996-1998

Phil Neal 1996-1996

Steve Coppell 1996-1996

Asa Hartford 1996-1996

Alan Ball 1995-1996

Brian Horton 1993-1995

Tony Book 1993-1993

Peter Reid 1990-1993

Howard Kendall 1989-1990

Tony Book 1989-1989

Mel Machin 1987-1989

Jimmy Frizzell 1986-1987

SAD READING

It's saying on the Manchester evening news website that SGE has already been sacked - it's just that the board havent ratified Taksins decision. I'm sure that Taksin will be surprised to learn that he even HAS to get the boards decision.

Here is the article link

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/spo...was_lone_axeman

It says he was sacked at a meeting on Sunday.

It's unclear if it means that he will go at the end of the season though.

Tord Grip has also stated that SGE will be leaving.

Petition or no petition, i think the writing is on the wall for Sven.

Bizarrely, in the comments section of the above MEN article, is a comment from a 'true blue' in that well known area of Manchester of Galway, Ireland, saying that Ferguson is responsble.

Eh?