Manchester City

mrbojangles

Thinngs move quickly in ThaksinWorld...

Sven offered a job for life at Manchester City

21st December 2007

Sven Goran Eriksson has been told he can stay at Manchester City until he retires.

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra has hailed the former England boss as “a world class manager” and offered him a job for life.

Eriksson has transformed City's fortunes since taking over from Stuart Pearce.

He has turned them from relegation candidates into Champions League contenders and a delighted Shinawatra said: “I think Sven can remain our manager until he retires!”

The club are planning a £30m splash in the January transfer window, which started yesterday when they completed a loan deal for Nery Castillo from Shakhtar Donetsk.

Shinawatra is delighted with City's form, and despite a midweek Carling Cup defeat said: “I didn't expect the team would achieve this kind of level.

“But I did believe when I arrived that Manchester City could improve a lot. And you simply have to hand it to Sven who has done a marvellous, marvellous job.

“We consider him as a world-class manager. There are not many in football but Sven is certainly one of them.”

Shinawatra added: “He is very kind and the players like him because of that kindness. He is a very good football strategist and he teaches the players very well.

“His motivational ability is another important part of his game.

“I think in the way Sven does things he is very honourable and has good communication with me. We have no problems in our communication.”

Shinawatra bought City for £120m in June – three years after a failed bid to become the new owner of Liverpool.

Eriksson was swiftly installed as the successor to Pearce and has overseen a transformation in the club's Premier League standing.

City have gathered a maximum 27 points from their nine home League games this season but head for Aston Villa tomorrow knowing that they must improve their away form.

As Shinawatra said: “We just haven't done well enough in our away games and that is something we must bear in mind and try to improve.”

Hey Mr Bo Jangles,

It's not all doom and gloom at the city of Manchester Stadium. You are now going to be able to watch a real football match there on the 14th May, when the Teddy Bears come marching into town to lift the UEFA cup.

Aye and we're gonna XXXXXXg take yer goalposts hame as well.

Your non-gay, non effeminate for one night only Chelsea supporter

Bite yer Bum

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From skysports:-

EB Streymur 0 - 2 Man City

City stroll to qualifying win

Petrov and Hamann on target as Hughes makes winning start

Manchester City made a winning start to the Mark Hughes era as they defeated EB/Streymur 2-0 in the first leg of their Uefa Cup qualifying tie.

City, who only made it into the competition through the Fair Play league, were quickly into their stride against the minnows from Faroe Islands.

Record signing Jo was handed a debut and looked lively in the first half as City opened up a commanding lead.

Martin Petrov opened the scoring after just nine minutes as Michael Johnson stepped over a Darius Vassell cross and the Bulgarian powerfully fired home.

Dietmar Hamann then netted a stunning second on 28 minutes as he sent a volley into the top corner with the outside of his foot.

City threatened again before the break but found it much harder at the start of the second half as EB/Streymur began to apply some pressure of their own.

However, Joe Hart was never seriously tested and City could have increased their advantage when substitute Ched Evans missed a good chance late on.

Hughes' men will now be confident of finishing the job at Oakwell later this month and advancing to the second qualifying round.

• 4 weeks later...

From the BBC:-

I'll move City forward - Hughes

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes has issued a defiant warning that he is in charge at Eastlands and insisted no-one will leave without his permission.

Hughes has been exasperated by reports questioning his own future at the club and linking players with moves away.

"If players leave, then that decision will be mine solely. That's where we are and everyone understands the situation," Hughes said.

"It's a great club and a big club. I want to move it forward."

He added: "I had a meeting with all the players the other day and the contents will remain private.

"But basically we needed to make the group aware that I am in charge and will make decisions that will affect players. "I am clear we are going in the right direction. We are interested in bringing in good players at the right price."

Hughes, who has been at City for less than three months, reiterated that Vedran Corluka would be staying at the club and that Michael Johnson was close to agreeing a new contract.

Corluka has been linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur and Johnson has reportedly been the subject of interest from Arsenal.

"Vedran's agent has a vested interest in his client but the matter has been resolved," Hughes said.

"I have discussed the situation at length with Vedran and he won't be leaving the club. He is very much a Manchester City player.

"And negotiations with Michael are ongoing and we are hopeful they will be concluded very quickly."

City owner Thaksin Shinawatra faces corruption and abuse of power charges in Thailand and about £800m of his assets have been frozen pending a verdict.

An arrest warrant was issued for the former Thai prime minister on Monday after he failed to attend a court hearing in Bangkok. There had been reports that the club was looking to sell players without Hughes' knowledge because of Thaksin's situation, but City's boss denied that this was the case.

"From my own point of view I am very focused on what I aim to achieve here and that means success on the pitch.

"Nothing whatsoever has changed in that respect and the football operation hasn't changed since I signed for the club." In fact Hughes said he was looking to bring new players in.

"People might have been concerned that maybe funds won't be available for me to bring players to the club.

"I have been reassured that is not the case. We are actively pursuing players.

"My part of the club has not changed to any great extent. We are interested in good players at the right price.

"I speak to (chief executive) Garry Cook on a daily basis and we are always having conversations about where we feel the club should be going.

"Maybe there have been misunderstandings and mistakes made but that happens in any big organisation when you make changes. It is not an issue."

Man City v FC Midtjylland

Uefa Cup, second qualifying round, first leg:

Date: Thursday, 14 August Kick-off: 1945 GMT

Manchester City striker Darius Vassell will miss the first leg second qualifying round tie.

The striker is sidelined for the next 10 weeks because of a knee injury.

With Jo at the Olympics representing Brazil and Benjani Mwaruwari injured, City go into the game short of options up front.

But Vedran Corluka, who has been linked with a move to Spurs, is available and Martin Petrov after missing their friendly against AC Milan.

From Skysports:-

Hughes bemoans fitness levels

City boss felt troops were not up to speed in defeat

Mark Hughes felt Manchester City were lacking match fitness in their disappointing 1-0 defeat to FC Midtjylland.

Hughes' troops were heavily fancied to brush aside their Danish opposition in the first leg of their Uefa Cup second qualifying round, only to fail to impress.

Danny Olsen's 15th minute effort from Richard Dunne's mistake settled the contest, leaving Hughes to rue a wasted opportunity.

Former Rovers boss Hughes felt City were the architects of their own downfall due to numerous mistakes, although he is not giving up hope of his squad qualifying for the first round of the Uefa Cup.

"Perhaps we were a little bit behind them in terms of sharpness and match fitness but that is no excuse for tonight," Hughes told ITV4.

"We need to get up to speed before the weekend and hopefully this game will let us know where we are at and what we need to do.

"In the first half we had too many unforced errors and needed to play in their half and not get trapped in our half which is what happened.

"We needed to be dynamic and more personality and drive the play. Fair play to the opposition though they understand the counter-attack game and executed it well.

"We are short of a few players and are a bit light so we're still in the market for players. The match is only at half-time."

Looks like it's going to be a long season already :o

Yep, and that Orange kit is disgusting. :D

Thought City palyed well and if they had,nt gone awol at the back for 10 mins they could have actually won the game.With reference to the orange kit well nuff said!

Looks like it's going to be a long season already :o

Yep, and that Orange kit is disgusting. :D

Thought City palyed well and if they had,nt gone awol at the back for 10 mins they could have actually won the game.With reference to the orange kit well nuff said!

They are apparently wearing orange as it reminds Taksin of the Isaan orange plantations where he spent so much time growing up. Lol.

Cheers, Rick

Why would Vincent Kompany be a good signing? Hardly setting the international scene alight with the Belgium national team or with Hamburg. Can he cut it in the prem? Nobody knows. If Anton Ferdinand is available, & on his way to Sunderland?, why not go for him? He's being doing it in the prem for the last few seasons.

Why would Vincent Kompany be a good signing? Hardly setting the international scene alight with the Belgium national team or with Hamburg. Can he cut it in the prem? Nobody knows. If Anton Ferdinand is available, & on his way to Sunderland?, why not go for him? He's being doing it in the prem for the last few seasons.

I must admit Chavy, i don't know too much about the guy. So my jury is still out.

From skysports

City confirm Kompany capture

Versatile defender arrives from Hamburg on four-year deal

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of defender Vincent Kompany from Hamburg for an undisclosed fee.

Bundesliga club Hamburg announced on Thursday that the centre-back's two-year stay at HSH Nordbank Arena had come to an end.

Kompany has penned a four-year deal at Eastlands and becomes manager Mark Hughes' third signing since taking over from Sven Goran Eriksson.

City are hopeful the Belgium international will gain clearance to play ahead of Sunday's home encounter with West Ham united.

The 22-year-old arrived at Hamburg from Anderlecht in 2006, and has since been regularly linked with a move to England.

Kompany recently represented his country at the Beijing Olympics before returning to play his final game for Hamburg in their opening league fixture of the season against Bayern Munich

From skysports

City keen on Brazilian

But they face competition from Atletico Madrid

Manchester City are in talks to sign Brazilian midfielder Thiago Neves, according to the player's representatives.

Neves has caught the eye of City boss Mark Hughes after impressing at the Olympics with Brazil.

Hughes is now believed to be preparing a move for the attacking midfielder before the close of the transfer window.

A representative for Grupo Sonda, the consortium which owns 66 per cent of Neves' registration, claims a deal be could be close.

"The chances of an agreement with Manchester City are great, but there are other teams interested," said the Grupo Sonda spokesman.

City could face a battle for Neves' signature with Atletico Madrid also in the race to sign the South American.

From skysports

Jo boost for City

Striker to travel to Denmark for Uefa Cup qualifier

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is ready to rush Jo back into action when he returns from Olympic duty.

Jo joined City over the summer but he was not able to play a full part in pre-season as he linked up with the Brazil side.

He helped Brazil win a bronze medal on Friday as he scored twice in the 3-0 victory over Belgium.

The 21-year-old will return to City over the weekend and could feature against FC Midtjylland in Uefa Cup qualifying on Thursday.

Hughes is worried about what Jo's fitness might be like but admits he will have few other options after losing a number of forwards to injury.

"I understand Jo will be ready to train on Monday, so he will go to Denmark," Hughes confirmed.

"We have lost him for quite some time now and he has not had a great deal of football recently either, which is a concern for us.

"You do hope that while they are away that they will get good game-time under his belt.

"He has been in competitive games, but going in for 10-15 minutes a time is not the ideal preparation for Premier League games, so it might take a little bit of time to get up to speed.

"But needs must, and I think he will be involved with us very, very quickly.

"He has got the ability and will give us a presence up front which we lacked last weekend."

From the BBC:-

Man City 3-0 West Ham

Manchester City eased to their first Premier League victory of the season against 10-man West Ham.

City hit the woodwork twice through Tal Ben-Haim's deflected shot and Martin Petrov's free-kick before West Ham had Mark Noble sent off for two bookings.

The visitors were under the cosh but held out until Daniel Sturridge rifled into the roof of the net on 65 minutes.

Stephen Ireland crossed for Elano to smash in a second before setting up the Brazilian to volley home City's third.

The result was a welcome lift for City manager Mark Hughes, who had a difficult summer off the pitch at Eastlands then saw his side collapse at Aston Villa last weekend.

More goals will be the order of the day when City travel to Denmark on Thursday to attempt to make up a 1-0 deficit from the first leg of their Uefa Cup qualifying tie with FC Midtjylland.

But Hughes's men will approach that game with added confidence after completely dominating the Hammers.

In front of their owner Thaksin Shinawatra, who was watching his first game since being hit by charges of charges of corruption and abuse of power in his native Thailand, City began brightly.

West Ham, who would have gone top of the embryonic table had they won, also knocked the ball about nicely in the opening stages.

But, while they failed to test home goalkeeper Joe Hart, City were soon creating chances.

Their first near-miss came in an almighty goalmouth scramble when Ireland's shot was headed off the line by Callum Davenport, who recovered to deflect Ben-Haim's follow-up shot on to the crossbar.

Petrov was the next City player to hit the woodwork, curling a beautiful 30-yard free-kick on to the outside of the post with Robert Green stationary.

By now, West Ham were being forced to defend in numbers but their cause was not helped by Noble's needless dismissal on 38 minutes.

The England under-21 midfielder's first yellow card, for a handball after he slipped, was foolish and he gave referee Howard Webb no choice but to send him off when he lunged in on Michael Johnson soon afterwards.

It could have got worse for the Hammers before half-time but Webb ignored City's claims for a penalty despite a clear handball by Lucas Neill at a corner.

And Green had to make a stunning save to keep the scores level, pushing Johnson's shot around the post after Ben-Haim had advanced unchallenged to the edge of the area.

The second half began with a seven-minute delay while Micah Richards received treatment after a clash of heads with Ben-Haim, and the defender was taken to hospital with concussion.

But, when the game resumed, it was still City who were well on top.

It still took them a while to find the net, however, but when they did it was with a thumping finish.

Matthew Upson only cleared Petrov's cross as far as Sturridge, who took a touch before burying the ball past Green.

The goal brought relief for Hughes but it was almost short-lived as West Ham launched a swift attack from the restart.

Sadly for the visitors, Matthew Etherington and Julien Faubert got in each others way after running clear and the chance was gone.

And City were soon out of sight - Vedran Corluka and Ireland combining down the right to tee up Elano on 70 minutes before the same trio linked up to add a third goal seven minutes later.

Both teams ended up with just 10 men on the pitch, as City substitute Kelvin Etuhu limped off soon after becoming his side's third replacement of the game.

But, despite a mammoth 10 minutes of added time, West Ham could still not muster a shot on target on a miserable afternoon for Alan Curbishley's men.

Curbishley, who could see defender Anton Ferdinand sold to Sunderland next week, lost Carlton Cole to injury after just 31 minutes and the striker becomes the latest name on a lengthy injury list at Upton Park.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes:

"There have been a lot of negative things said about the club in the past week and it was nice to get back to football.

"The response from my players was excellent - right from the start they had the right attitude and tempo.

"Irrespective of West Ham having a man sent off, I felt we would have won."

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley:

"I am desperately disappointed for our fans. We started quite well but, as the game wore on, City got on top.

"We could not cope with it and when Mark Noble was sent off, it became very, very difficult for us.

"With 10 men, everything has got to go for you and you have to defend properly and we didn't for their first goal."