Manchester City

mrbojangles

Is Mark Hughes claim that an 8th place finish will be a success correct or is he trying to put lipstick on a pig in the hope that people wont notice its just a piggy.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4964224,00.html

Hughes witnessed his much-maligned side produce their best away league performance of the season in Sunday's 1-1 draw at Liverpool, where Craig Bellamy's second-half strike was eventually cancelled out by Dirk Kuyt's late equaliser.

Hughes believes City are at last producing the form expected from a club who have spent £120million this season in an attempt to break into the leading group of big clubs in the Premier League, as well as Europe.

And Hughes also believes there are many who are determined to derail City's progress.

He said: "If we can better the highest league position City have achieved in the Premier League, eighth, then people will have to reluctantly admit we have had a decent season, although inconsistent on occasions."

City, who also have a good chance of reaching the last 16 of the UEFA Cup after last week's 2-2 first-leg draw against Copenhagen in the last 32, are slowly starting to produce the performances Hughes demands.

He said: "We are looking now for a strong finish. We had a disappointment last week with our defeat at Portsmouth, when we were poor, but we can be better than that.

"We have shown that, when teams open up against us, we have an attacking threat.

"If teams do that, we will capitalise. The problem in the past is that when teams 'park the bus' in front of their goal and we have not had enough guile to break them down.

"If we have a fair run at it now, and hit the levels we achieved at Anfield, we would expect to be in the top 10."

Hughes is also furious with continued speculation about alleged incidents at the club, the latest being claims of a spat between Craig Bellamy and Robinho.

Hughes said: "I have seen some frankly laughable stuff about us, things that are just not true.

"We understand there is a lot of focus on what we are trying to do, and there are also a lot of people who do not want us to succeed.

"People need to see through that and understand what is happening. It seems like everything happening at the club, people seem to tell the outside world.

"Some of it is correct, a vast majority is way off the mark. That is what is happening around us with a lot of negative things."

Hughes had praise for two of his expensive signings, Robinho and Nigel de Jong.

He said: "Robinho was very good against Liverpool, as he was in Copenhagen. People understand that, if you give him the ball, he will retain possession and give the rest of the guys confidence.

"There was a drive and purpose about what we did, we were strong under pressure and overall it was a very good performance.

"Nigel de Jong was outstanding and this was his best game since he arrived at the club. People can now understand why we wanted to bring him to the club.

"He understands where he should be on the pitch to break things up and set attacks going. He has been out for a few months with injury and he is still trying to reach a fitness level."

Is Mark Hughes claim that an 8th place finish will be a success correct or is he trying to put lipstick on a pig in the hope that people wont notice its just a piggy.

Not sure quite what you are trying to say :D

If they reach at least 8th, then I dont see how anyone would be disappointed.

I am not a great fan of Hughes, but he makes sense in his interviews.

Many people are now criticising City, and coming out with all sorts of crap. Out of jealousy? Out of the feeling that its wrong to have so much money?

Bottom line is that the team has only been playing together for a short period of time. I think they will improve between now and the end of the season.

They will finish 6th ahead of Everton ( who have just lost their best and most creative player, for the year), and will be wthin a handful of points of both Arsenal and Villa. So the season should be construed a success, and then see what happens over the summer. :o

Many people are now criticising City, and coming out with all sorts of crap. Out of jealousy? Out of the feeling that its wrong to have so much money?

Bottom line is that the team has only been playing together for a short period of time. I think they will improve between now and the end of the season.

They will finish 6th ahead of Everton ( who have just lost their best and most creative player, for the year), and will be wthin a handful of points of both Arsenal and Villa. So the season should be construed a success, and then see what happens over the summer. :o

I'm not a great fan of Hughes either jack. But I agree with him, that anything above 9th would be progress. Maybe not as much progress as we wanted but nevertheless, it would progress. I'd love to get to 6th this year but to pull back the 10 points difference at this stage is difficult, so realistically, with only 4 points difference, i think 7th is achievable.

Edited by mrbojangles

I'm not a great fan of Hughes either jack. But I agree with him, that anything above 9th would be progress. Maybe not as much progress as we wanted but nevertheless, it would progress. I'd love to get to 6th this year but to pull back the 10 points difference at this stage is difficult, so realistically, with only 4 points difference, i think 7th is achievable.

:D Let's see, last year you finished 9th with 55 points, thus far you have 32 points after 26 games - I guess finishing 9th again would be progress - but it only cost you a bunch more to do it.

(Kudos to City for drawing with LP by the way the other night)

To change the subject, Citizen contributors might be interested in the article in The Times today - The 50 greatest Man City players.

It's at

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...t=36&page=4

(Don't know if that last part of the address is necessary but it's what came out when I copied it.)

Some interesting choices - Robinho at No 48!

Thats very interesting. I know its subjective, but I would make a couple of changes.

Take out Tommy Hutchison.........replace with Peter Barnes (probably one of the most exciting players I ever saw. I have lost count of the number of times he would cut in from the wing, beat 3/4 men and then let fly)

Take out Rodney Marsh (probably the laziest and most frustrating palyer I ever saw) replace with Gerry Gow ( an animal in midfield who was an unbelievable tackler)

Take out Denis Law...replace with Brian Kidd. I think Kiddo added more to our team than Law did (except that 1 wonderful goal)

Take out Anelka (never liked him) replace with Wyn Davies (he was the 'large' of the 'little nlarge' duo with Franny Lee)

Pretty much the same squad as we fielded last week to Portsmouth. And we lost that one !! Still without SWP, as he is still serving a ban for doing exactly the same thing as Ronaldo does, week in, week out but gets away with it :o

Blame the DVLA swansea for that one!

He sent off the forms but got a diving licence back and has been doing so ever since

And I as United fan am sometimes embarrassed with some of the dives

especially when if the portugese <deleted> carried on going he would have a clear run at the goal

this changes to frustration on my part if the UC doesn't get it on target

(don't care how many trophies he helps us win I'll never forget the world cup incident)

Pretty much the same squad as we fielded last week to Portsmouth. And we lost that one !! Still without SWP, as he is still serving a ban for doing exactly the same thing as Ronaldo does, week in, week out but gets away with it :D

Blame the DVLA swansea for that one!

He sent off the forms but got a diving licence back and has been doing so ever since

And I as United fan am sometimes embarrassed with some of the dives

especially when if the portugese <deleted> carried on going he would have a clear run at the goal

this changes to frustration on my part if the UC doesn't get it on target

(don't care how many trophies he helps us win I'll never forget the world cup incident)

i may not like some of the things he does but he is still wearing the shirt of Utd and i will support him as long as he does but for a so called Utd fan to come out with such drival, well its beyond me. :o

JacknDanny

As you found the Times list of the top 50 City players interesting, you might enjoy today's article on Malcolm Allison and Joe Mercer.

It's at

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5818005.ece

I used to have many an enjoyable afternoon, with Malcolm Allison, drinking red wine, in a place called Yarm, back in the late 90s.

Great raconteur, from the time when he was having affairs with the likes of Christine Keeler, to the Steve Daly saga, to managing Bristol Rovers.

Great great guy :o

JacknDanny

As you found the Times list of the top 50 City players interesting, you might enjoy today's article on Malcolm Allison and Joe Mercer.

It's at

I used to have many an enjoyable afternoon, with Malcolm Allison, drinking red wine, in a place called Yarm, back in the late 90s.

Great raconteur, from the time when he was having affairs with the likes of Christine Keeler, to the Steve Daly saga, to managing Bristol Rovers.

Great great guy :o

Sounds like you could have a few interesting stories to tell, too, Jack!

JacknDanny

It's at

Great great guy :D

Sounds like you could have a few interesting stories to tell, too, Jack!

Not as funny as when Big Mal tells them :o

Hes a laugh a minute :D

Is it my imagination or is this thread quieter today than it normally is ?? :D

I have absolutely nothing to say :D

SAYS it all really :wai::D:D

bt :P

But feeling a bit better this morning, I imagine. :o

Even the reporters that have rarely had a good word to say about City recently, seem agreed that they were really impressive last night.

Is it my imagination or is this thread quieter today than it normally is ?? :D

I have absolutely nothing to say :D

SAYS it all really :wai::D:D

bt :P

But feeling a bit better this morning, I imagine. :o

Even the reporters that have rarely had a good word to say about City recently, seem agreed that they were really impressive last night.

Yep, a good performance all round, really. Villa didn't look like a team challenging for a Champions League spot. Hope we can get some form of consistency. :jerk:

I think a realistic target from Shauny

From skysports;-

SWP sets sights on seventh

Shaun Wright-Phillips believes Manchester City can build on their victory over Aston Villa and go on to finish seventh in the Premier League.

Wright-Phillips returned from a three-match suspension to star in Wednesday's 2-0 win at home.

The winger, who scored an excellent late goal, admits he was delighted to be back in action after a frustrating spell on the sidelines.

"I was tearing my hair out during the ban. I was a pain on the training ground," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"But it's great to be back. And against Villa, we showed what we're capable of. We always knew we were capable of a display like that, but it's about producing it.

"That rates as one of the best performances we've put in this season."

The seventh-placed team in the league is expected to qualify for the newly-named Europa League and City are currently just four points adrift of West Ham.

City still have away games to play against Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton and Manchester United but Wright-Phillips is confident they can improve on the road to secure a place in Europe.

He said: "We believe we can do it. We're only four points off seventh, so I don't see why not.

"We've always believed we will be difficult to beat at home, but we have to show it in our away games as well.

"I don't think the team has ever been lacking in confidence. It was always about getting the chances to score and taking them when we had the pressure, and we did that against Villa."

Manager Mark Hughes agrees with Wright-Phillips about what City should be targeting from the remainder of the league season.

"Seventh has to be realistic for us and we will work to that end," said Hughes.

"We have targets. We are still in the Uefa Cup and we have high hopes of progressing further.

"But our bread and butter is the Premier League and I would like to think we can achieve something this season."

Man City quit Thailand after fans lose interest

Reuters

March 6, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester City have closed down thier Thailand operations following former owner and ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's sale of the club, ending ambitious plans of becoming "Asia's Premier League team".

GettyImages

Thaksin Shinawatra: Former City owner.

Jimmy Heosontaty, City's former representative in Thailand, said plans for an academy had been scrapped and the club's merchandise shop, launched to great fanfare last year, had closed due to a lack of interest.

"We saw no point in carrying on after the (Shinawatra) family sold their share," he said on Friday. "City still have fans here, but there's not a lot of interest anymore."

Thaksin, convicted of graft last year and a fugitive overseas, bought City in July 2007, 10 months after he ousted in a bloodless military coup.

He hoped to make City Asia's most popular club and signed three barely-known Thai players, a move widely dismissed as a political ploy to earn the support of soccer-mad Thais for a party formed by his supporters.

Amid rising discontent among City fans over his treatment of then manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, Thaksin sold the club to a consortium from the United Arab Emirates in September and has been on the run since his British visa was revoked in November.

Just caught the tail end of the sports news last night on EPSN. Thought i heard something about Robhino returning to Brazil again. Any truth to the story?

Yes you are correct.he had a sore leg and there are no physios in England apparently. Anyway the poor boy is better now and will be returning to Brazil after a couple more games for a school re union. Does the hard man Hughes have any say in what goes on there or is Robinho "untouchable" ?

From skysports:-

Pehrsson - We can match City

Alborg boss Magnus Pehrsson believes his side can match Manchester City ahead of Thursday's Uefa Cup showdown.

The Danish side travel to Eastlands for their last-16 clash against Mark Hughes' City side following a memorable win in the last round.

Pehrsson was appointed Alborg boss in January and his first two games resulted in an emphatic 6-1 aggregate win against Deportivo La Coruna.

With the first leg against City looming, the Alborg coach is confident his side can put in another awe-inspiring couple of performances.

"Of course I didn't expect us to beat Deportivo, and especially not in the manner we did, with class," Pehrsson told Swedish news agency TT. "But I knew that I was joining a strong team with many class players.

"Of course Manchester City are the favourites on Thursday, but I truly believe that we can give them a match.

"I have a vision that City will start hard, they have a lot of fast feet in the team.

"It might sound like a cliché, but it will take a lot of hard work to stop them. But of course it's not only the defence tactics that will be enough to win the game."

From skysports:-

Robinho boost for City

Mark Hughes has confirmed that Robinho is fit and insisted the Uefa Cup is Manchester City's priority this season.

Robinho suffered an ankle injury during the defeat to West Ham at the start of the month and, after missing the victory over Aston Villa, returned to Brazil for treatment.

He is now in contention for Thursday's Uefa Cup clash with Aalborg and Hughes is delighted to have him back.

"Robinho has trained all week. He looks fit and will be available," said the Man City boss. "He has suffered this injury twice, basically when he goes over on it it aggravates an old injury.

"It is not a major concern but there was a chance that he wouldn't be available tomorrow so we are thankful it's not the case."

Hughes added: "Robinho has the ability to unlock the door. Sometimes in

Europe defences can be very hard to break down. You might need a flash of inspiration or a piece of brilliance. Robinho can do that for you."

Vincent Kompany is doubtful with a toe injury and Hughes is concerned about his lack of options in midfield, with winter signing Nigel de Jong not registered for the competition.

Hughes explained: "Vincent is suffering a lot of discomfort at the moment and he is struggling to be fit.

"It is a worry for us because we are looking like being without two guys right in the centre of the park."

Hughes has always looked to select his strongest possible starting XI in the Uefa Cup and he is determined for City to go on and make as much progress in the competition as possible.

There are no other English sides left after Aston Villa lost to CSKA Moscow in the last round and Tottenham bowed out against Shakhtar Donetsk.

Harry Redknapp fielded a weakened side in both legs as Tottenham looked ahead to the Carling Cup final and a number of crucial Premier League matches in their battle for top-flight survival.

Martin O'Neill also rested key players for the trip to Russia and made it clear that his focus was on securing UEFA Champions League qualification for Villa.

But Hughes does not feel the competition, which will be revamped as the Europa League next term and structured differently, has been devalued.

He told Sky Sports News: "I don't think so. If you look at the quality of the teams that have been competing in the competition it is high quality and I think anyone would want to win.

"Different clubs have different circumstances and different priorities and our priority this year is to progress as far we can in the competition, which is why invariably we have gone with the strongest team we can.

"The way we have approached it has enabled us to be the last English team standing and we are pleased about that. We now we want to see if we can progress even further.

"Maybe Uefa feels the competition needs a different format to create more interest with the general public but I am not really sure of their real motivation for changing.

"Certainly this year it has been a strong competition and not one we have taken lightly at any stage."