Using the USA Google Play Store from Thailand

wpcoe

I just bought a Sony mobile phone with Android 4.4.4, and it's my first experience with Android, so please be patient if I seem confused and disoriented, because I am. My only previous "smart phone" was an iPhone 4, and it took me a while to get used the the Apple way of doing things. Now I need to unlearn them and learn the Android ways.

Initially I registered a new Google account on the phone, entering my credit card details (including Thailand billing address for the US-based credit card) into Google Wallet. However, it appears I'm locked into the Thailand Google Play Store?

([a] I was able to download the SCB and Bangkok Bank apps, all prices for paid apps are shown in THB, and [c] I cannot download the Fidelity Investments app because it is "not available in your country." That's why I think I'm locked in to the Thailand Store.)

While connecting via a US-based VPN (Strong VPN), I registered a new Google account, signed on to it, and entered new credit card details into Google Wallet and lied saying it was in the USA and entered a USA ZIP (postal) code. Oddly, I was not asked for the complete billing address like I was the very first time ... is that a helpful clue?

I still see THB prices and cannot download the Fidelity Investments app, even while running the VPN which should show my location as USA.

What trick(s) am I missing? I would like access to the Google Play Store for the USA.

An android phone requires one Primary account. If you really need to use another identity you'll need to Factory Reset and enter the new one after the phone reinitializes.

Try access the Google Play Store via VPN using your PC (logged into google using the same account you created for the new phone) and use the website to select apps.

Google Play Store for android apps

any apps you select will automatically be queued and sent/installed on your phone

//EDIT: How did you enable/use your VPN with the phone? I'm asking because I use Hola! Proxy on my laptop and just set it to the US, where the above link to the google play store displayed monetary values in , then MX, and finally $ after I did a couple of proxy resets. Anyway, you should be able to download any US specific app if the VPN is working correctly.

Edited by RichCor

Okay, I should be able to do this.

While connecting via Strong VPN on my computer, I clicked on the Google Play Store link in the above post, while logged on to the same Google account as my phone's primary account:

post-33251-0-51511900-1413733731_thumb.g

I clicked on "Install" anyways, and got:

post-33251-0-61784700-1413733833_thumb.g

So, then I clicked "Add to Wishlist" and logged out of the Google Play Store, closed the VPN connection on my computer, went to the phone and went to the Google Play Store while connected to Strong VPN. The Fidelity app is on my wishlist, but clicking (pressing) on it still pops up "This item isn't available in your country."

On the phone, I connect to Strong VPN via L2TP/IPSec VPN with PSK because using PPTP wouldn't connect without disabling security settings. Should I go back to PPTP? I connect using PPTP on the computer.

Also, while logged on to the Google Play Store on my computer, only free apps would display. No matter what I tried, I couldn't find for-pay ones to see what currency would display.

Edited by wpcoe

Also, while logged on to the Google Play Store on my computer, only free apps would display. No matter what I tried, I couldn't find for-pay ones to see what currency would display.

That link should put you on the main page, listing many categories of Apps, mostly FREE but many priced.

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments - July 10, 2014

Finance

x This app is incompatible with all of your devices.

This usually indicates they app isn't verified to run on your present version of Android OS. Nothing wrong with your process. Normally if it lets you click the second popup INSTALL button the app gets downloaded and installed on your device automagically. But because it flags the app as incompatible, it won't allow you to click the final install button (grayed out).

Try logging onto the PC again and select something else, to verify that the process to your device works.

I'm receiving the same message for my google account (connected to an Android 4.3 device). Very odd. Let me do some checking and I'll get right back to you.

OK, found it. The tip came when I clicked the "x" in the "This app is..." line.

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments - July 10, 2014

Finance

x This app is incompatible with all of your devices.

| x No Carrier JSR-iMobile IQ1.2 <- name of my phone |

|____________________________________________|

The Google Play Store is set to VERIFY that your device in on a US Carrier before being allowed to complete the download.

There are only two ways do successfully install this app.

A. Put a US SIM into the phone, allow the SIM roam for a while, and repeat the process using the PC/vpn

B. Have someone download the correct version on your behalf and 'sideload' the app onto the phone (copy it to phone memory and force the install)

Rats. Thanks for tracking that down. The Fidelity app works just fine with a Thai SIM in my iPhone, but that may well be because I downloaded it a couple years ago, perhaps before they app checked for a US carrier.

Do you have any insight as to why I can't seem to view any non-free apps in the Play Store when I'm connected on my computer via VPN?

If you select

"Apps" in the left menu

Type "Games" in the search field box

Select "All prices v " and see if the All prices, Free, Paid options are available.

There are a lot of FREE apps in the Play Store. They are usually more popular so populate the spaces first on lists.

GooglePlayStore_screenshot.jpg

Without a clear understanding of what it is you are hoping to accomplish I might recommend a complete re-start.

From a PC using a VPN presenting a U.S.- IP address register for a new GMail account, then register at the Play Store using this new GMail account, then add any required CC details/information.

Do a factory reset on the phone, then set it up using the new GMail account detail, preferably with the Thai SIM removed, using WiFi and VPN.

For me prices in the Play Store present in USD on my my mobile devices (GNex 4-purchased in the U.S., GNex 5-purchased in Thailand, SGSTab4-purchased in the U.S.), but in THB on my PC when not using a VPN, and in USD when using a VPN (with a US IP).

Some apps. may not be available in some geographic locales.

I think I originally had to side-load the Fidelity APK; this is where you locate and download the APK and then install it on your phone. This may require changes to Settings, Security, tick Unknown sources”.

The Fidelity app. (2.4.1), and the BofA app. work fine here for me.

You should be able to install the Fidelity app. on your phone, using the Play Store app. on your phone (do not try this from your PC), assuming your phone is on a WiFi VPN, if not, sideload the apk.

With a little knowledge, hacking, searching and reading, you can pretty much get anything to work, but I will admit that the Play Store doesn’t necessarily handle geo/loc all that well.

One tip, on your phone, in the Play Store app, go to menu, settings, user controls, Require password for purchases, and tick “For all purchases through Google Play on this device”.

Just click on Movies if you want to see paid items, and the currently associated currency.

A U.S.-issued CC, even with a Thai billing address should be fine. You may run in to foreign usage fees (3% on some CC) if you purchase in THB (without using a VPN).

Edited by lomatopo

Actually, you can download US-only apps via a VPN (connected to a US endpoint). Before you run the play store app, go into your settings>>app list. On my LG it is settings>> general>> apps. There you can find the Google Play Store... This is where the APP Info is. Under the storage section you should find a button to clear data... Don't disable, uninstall anything... Just clear the data. Then make sure the play store is closed... There is usually a button or sequence somewhere that will allow you to close an app or close them all. Then start your VPN. After it is connected, then start the play store. The store will give you a dialog box and ask you if you want updates via email... blah blah. Just accept it. It is the same as your first visit to the store on that phone. Then you should be able to get US apps. Haven't tried it with paid apps, but my bank and broker apps were US only and getting them was no problem. Whenever you want to check for US app updates, or get new US apps, just repeat the clear data, close, VPN, store process...

Never had a problem. Do it on this LG and did it on two previous Samsungs.

Rats. Thanks for tracking that down. The Fidelity app works just fine with a Thai SIM in my iPhone, but that may well be because I downloaded it a couple years ago, perhaps before they app checked for a US carrier.

^^ ^^
wxpwzrd
Posted Today, 14:23
I can verify that the process wxpwzrd outlined works.
On the Android mobile phone
Download a VPN. (In my example I use Hola! VPN)
Press HOME to return to Desktop/Home Screen
Do a one-time "Clear Data" + "Force Close" of Google Play Store...
System Settings > Apps > Google Play Store -- press "Clear Data", press "Force Close"
Open Hola! VPN and select the top menu item " v My Apps "
Find "Google Play Store" and press the OPEN button (this will launch Google Play Store via the US VPN settings)
Accept the Google Play Terms of Service (accept)
Search for "Fidelity Investments"
* at this point, alternatively, you can tap the PlayStore ICON menu (top left) and select "My Wishlist" to locate items pre-placed there.
Looking for and verifying the white-on-green 'pyramid/sun logo' (It displayed first off for me)
Select the app and press INSTALL
That should do it, now just open the Fidelity app (shouldn't need VPN), just as wxpzzrd wrote. The government needs to put that man on a watch list for not following instructions.
Edited by RichCor

...also, once the Google Play Store "Clear Data", "Force Close", start VPN, open Google Play Store and accept TOS was completed, I was able to use the PC/VPN to successfully select and queue apps to be downloaded and installed to the phone from there. Nice.

I did run into an odd issue. After sucessfully locating and installing the Fidelity Investments app, I uninstalled it and tried to duplicate the process but couldn't locate the app via Google Play Store SEARCH. It displays instantly in my Google Play Store account "My Apps/ALL" list, and displayed instantly via the google.play.com Fidelity Mobile link on the Fidelity Investments website. Sometimes Google Play Store can be frustrating.

//EDIT: Oh, and I ran into another add issue where the google playstore on the phone only displayed Free apps. Disabling the VPN and repeating the "Clear Data", "Force Close" allowed the phone to see the paid apps and Thai pricing once again.

Edited by RichCor

^^ ^^

wxpwzrd

Posted Today, 14:23

I can verify that the process wxpwzrd outlined works.

On the Android mobile phone

Download a VPN. (In my example I use Hola! VPN)

Do a one-time "Clear Data" + "Force Close" of Google Play Store...

System Settings > Apps > Google Play Store -- press "Clear Data", press "Force Close"

Open Hola! VPN and select the top menu item " v My Apps "

Find "Google Play Store" and press the OPEN button (this will launch Google Play Store via the US VPN settings)

* at this point, alternatively, you can tap the PlayStore ICON menu (top left) and select "My Wishlist" to locate items pre-placed there.

Looking for and verifying the white-on-green 'pyramid/sun logo' (It displayed first off for me)

That should do it, now just open the Fidelity app (shouldn't need VPN), just as wxpzzrd wrote. The government needs to put that man on a watch list for not following instructions.

Thanks for cleaning it up and making it clearer. I was time-challenged when I wrote it. Had a few different things going.

And again, just repeat the process to check for those elusive updates to the geo-restricted apps. The same way Google blocks your access to the apps, you won't see subsequent updates either. Don't worry. Clearing the data does nothing to your actual Store account (that I know of) - just clears the written back data on your phone.

Also, this is not an exclusive deal. You can still use the store as normal from Thailand for regular apps. This just gets you to those geo locked ones.

Chris

• Like 1

...also, once the Google Play Store "Clear Data", "Force Close", start VPN, open Google Play Store and accept TOS was completed, I was able to use the PC/VPN to successfully select and queue apps to be downloaded and installed to the phone from there. Nice.

I did run into an odd issue. After sucessfully locating and installing the Fidelity Investments app, I uninstalled it and tried to duplicate the process but couldn't locate the app via Google Play Store SEARCH. It displays instantly in my Google Play Store account "My Apps/ALL" list, and displayed instantly via the google.play.com Fidelity Mobile link on the Fidelity Investments website. Sometimes Google Play Store can be frustrating.

//EDIT: Oh, and I ran into another add issue where the google playstore on the phone only displayed Free apps. Disabling the VPN and repeating the "Clear Data", "Force Close" allowed the phone to see the paid apps and Thai pricing once again.

That store is temperamental. Sometimes I have to repeat the process. It is very precise. I close the store fully, clear the data the run the VPN, open the store. Sometimes I even check to see the store isn't running after I have cleared the data (get a little OCD sometimes) before I run the VPN. As long as the store is opened with the cleared data, it almost always works. There have been a few burps that I account to Google/maintenance/Internet/ghosts/etc.

Hmm might have to snoop around a bit to see how it affects those paid apps.

Holy Mackerel! Lots of advice & suggestions. Much of it went over my head, but I hope to learn what it's all about. Side loading? APK? Sounds like stuff I need to learn.

For starters, though, I'll address this facet, since it doesn't involve working with the bowels of Android:

If you select

"Apps" in the left menu

Type "Games" in the search field box

Select "All prices v " and see if the All prices, Free, Paid options are available.

There are a lot of FREE apps in the Play Store. They are usually more popular so populate the spaces first on lists.

GooglePlayStore_screenshot.jpg

Something seems to be amiss with my configuration? When I choose "Paid" from that drop down menu, I get:

post-33251-0-25920500-1413806151_thumb.g

I suspect if *you* select "Paid" you get a list of for-purchase items, no?

Even on the phone itself, where I know I saw for-purchase items with THB prices earlier, all I can view now are the free items.

[Edited to add:]

Aha. Glad to see there might be a way to fix that. I missed your mention of that before I posted. But, that would only address the display-only-free-apps on the phone, no? What about when I access via VPN on my computer?

Edited by wpcoe

lomatopo: Please forgive me for side-stepping your advice to do a complete reset/restart. I'm hopeful that I can work through wxpwzrd/RichCor's seemingly simpler workaround. You can smugly say "I told you so!" if it fails. laugh.png

Okay, wxpwzrd/RichCor, I must be missing something simple and basic, because (I think) I followed your directions and nothing changed:

• Disconnected VPN on phone.
  • "Close All"
  • Settings > Apps > Google Play Store: Press "Clear data" (ok) and then Press "Force Stop" (ok)
  • "Close All"
  • Reconnect to Strong VPN (San Francisco) on phone
  • Press "Play Store" icon on home screen
  • Accept TOS
  • Search for Fidelity Investments app -- it doesn't appear in search results
  • In any Category (Action, Adventure, Arcade, Board, etc) only Free apps appear

What am I missing???

In case it matters, this is a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact running a Sony interface on Android 4.4.4. From what I've read Sony kept the interface pretty close to "plain" Kitkat.

(Is "Google Play services" a factor?)

Edited by wpcoe

Once you're in Settings, Apps, Google Play, you might as well clear the CACHE (just below Storage, Clear data) for the Play Store app..

I'd also recommend re-starting the phone, maybe even with a battery pull & SIM removal. Obviously having a net VPN, running on your router, would make things a bit easier.

Or just side-load the apk and be done with it; it will take 30 seconds.

Back in the early days of the robot there many geo-restricted apps., but there are fewer these days.

That's where our paths diverge. Here's are the search results for "Fidelity Investments." No familiar Fidelity logo.

post-33251-0-50298100-1413810248_thumb.g

If I go online via VPN with my computer to the Play Store and add the Fidelity app to My Wishlist, I get the familiar logo on my phone via Play Store > My Wishlist:

post-33251-0-38234800-1413810354_thumb.g

But when I press the icon, the phone displays:

post-33251-0-67955600-1413810387_thumb.g

I get identical results using either the original "primary" Google account which was created when I configured the phone, or a "new" Google account which I created on my computer while connected to Google via the US VPN.

Are you using the US-Based Google Account you created via VPN?

Can you access your "Wishlist"? (PlayStore MENU ≡ (top-left corner) then select My Wishlist

Either account (US-based Google account created via VPN or original primary account on phone) yields same results.

Once you're in Settings, Apps, Google Play, you might as well clear the CACHE (just below Storage, Clear data) for the Play Store app..

I'd also recommend re-starting the phone, maybe even with a battery pull & SIM removal. Obviously having a net VPN, running on your router, would make things a bit easier.

Or just side-load the apk and be done with it; it will take 30 seconds.

Back in the early days of the robot there many geo-restricted apps., but there are fewer these days.

Clearing data also clears cache.

Now I'm like a dog with a bone. Why can two users do a "simple" wipe of Google Play Store and they get direct access to the Fidelity app via VPN, but I can't? T'aint fair! annoyed.gifbiggrin.png

And, what's to say that whatever is the issue now, won't still be an issue after I do a complete phone reset and lose all my configuration work?

Y'all are going to need to do a whole bunch of hand holding for me to "side-load" something.

Okay, total factory reset. All downloaded apps and configuration efforts gone. sad.png

Used a brand new Google ID which was set up while on computer connected to Strong VPN (San Francisco).

First thing I did was configure VPN. Then:

• Connect to Strong VPN (San Francisco) on phone
  • Accept TOS
  • In any Category (Action, Adventure, Arcade, Board, etc) only free apps appear

Then:

• "Close All"
  • Settings > Apps > Google Play Store: Press "Clear data" (ok) and then Press "Force Stop" (ok)
  • "Close All"
  • Accept TOS
  • go to Google Play Store on computer via Strong VPN
  • located Fidelity app (still says This app is incompatible with your device. but I added it to My Wishlist anyway)
  • sign out of Google on computer
  • back to phone: "Close All"
  • "Close All"
  • Accept TOS
  • Go to "My wishlist" where I see the familiar Fidelity logo, press the icon: "This item isn't available in your country."

...aaaaand we're back where I was before a factory reset. Now, about this "side loading" sorcery that I've heard of...?

(But even if I can side load the Fidelity app, it might be nice to be able to access the USA store for other things in the future, no?)

(But even if I can side load the Fidelity app, it might be nice to be able to access the USA store for other things in the future, no?)

The Fidelity app .apk here. http://apksteed.com/application/fidelity-investments-2-41-apk/

You can use the QR code to download it then open it with whatever file explorer you have. Be sure to go to Security Settings and check Unknown Sources. I just tried it and it worked fine but haven't attempted to login yet to Fidelity..

• Like 1

When it rains, it pours. laugh.png

post-33251-0-19855000-1413820800_thumb.g

[edited to add:]

Ok, I finally got the page after a few reloads, clicked to get the QR code, installed a QR reader app on the phone, scanned the code, corrected the URL (there was no : after https) and saved the file to my phone.

Where do I find the file to install it?

Hurrah! I now have the Fidelity app loaded on my phone!

But, I still want to pursue getting full access to the USA store.

Edited by wpcoe

wpcoe, what Tywais just posted is the alternative (though non-secure) method of installing android application packages to a phone. If you click his provided link on a PC it will display a page with instructions (Just ignore the inline ads).

Could you do one more thing before you do this... download Hola! VPN and give my instructions another try.

While your difficulty might have something to do with the account (which might explain why no PAID items show) it would be a VPN issue.

I'm waiting for the condo WiFi to add my Xperia MAC address to the routers. Knowing how things work, that could be a while. Guess I just have to wait, then.

Will try your VPN, as well, but it seems the Strong VPN works on my computer to allow access to the Fidelity app from the US store, just not on the phone.

OK. Please try the HOLA! VPN app first.

If that doesn't work, you can move on to this:

If you have a QR Code reader on your phone (software that uses your camera to decode pixel images) such as Google Goggles or Barcode Scanner, then use it to take a picture of this Fidelity APK Download location code from the http://apksteed.com website:

fidelityAPK.png

It should produce a link that your phone's browser can follow and download from.

Edited by RichCor

The Fidelity app .apk here. http://apksteed.com/application/fidelity-investments-2-41-apk/

You can use the QR code to download it then open it with whatever file explorer you have. Be sure to go to Security Settings and check Unknown Sources. I just tried it and it worked fine but haven't attempted to login yet to Fidelity..

BTW, I just logged into my Fidelity account with no problem with the app. However, I did activate my US VPN on my phone just in case.

The file should download to the default location Download when you use your file explorer to look for it.

Just installed and used Hola. Same behavior. The problem could well be the use of a 3G network. My VPN knowledge is sketchy at best. I thought that using Strong or Hola would be sufficient to mask all the details of the actual connection on the physical device.

(Good thing I studied Spanish.)