Using the USA Google Play Store from Thailand

wpcoe

@Tywais: Thanks for the reminder. I un-checked "Unknown sources" and re-checked "Verify apps." I think those are the only settings I had modified on the Security screen?

@RichCor: Isn't side-loading what I just did to load the Fidelity app? wacko.png

@Tywais: Thanks for the reminder. I un-checked "Unknown sources" and re-checked "Verify apps." I think those are the only settings I had modified on the Security screen?

@RichCor: Isn't side-loading what I just did to load the Fidelity app? wacko.png

Yes, but you edited your post saying you were successful. smile.png

• Like 1

You can contact the publisher of any app, paid or free, which you might find it challenging to obtain because of location. Often they will arrange for payment (if a paid app), provide a known, good, safe, secure, apk download and the requisite licensing details.

As mentioned in my first reply on this thread, side-loading apks is probably the easiest, simplest, most straight-forward method of obtaining the un-obtainable. You can download the apk to your PC, and then push it, and even install it, onto a phone on the same network.

I think having a local Thai SIM, and just using mobile data, is probably not the best of steps to take when trying to defeat geo-location restrictions.

My primary phone is a Nexus 5, I also have a Nexus 4 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.

My Nexus 4 has a DTAC SIM, and is in True On-Line DSL via WiFi (mobile data disabled). I was able to search for, find, download and install the Fidelity app on my N4.

I was able to do the same on my Tab 4 (WiFI only).

I can only assume that, either because my Google Play Store/Wallet account is registered with a U.S. billing address/credit card, or because I already had the Fidelity app. on a device ( my N5), that I was not geo-restricted.

I’ve had this Fidelity app. for so long I honestly can’t remember how I got it, maybe it was during a trip back to the U.S.? Or I side-loaded it. Or I used my T-Mo SIM?

I found an old thread which mentioned if you have a U.S. SIM (doesn’t have to be active, have roaming enabled or have a GSM signal) that this would relieve any geo-restrictions – assumes you have WiFi. I have a T-Mo SIM but really have no way to currently test this as I appear to face no geo-restrictions.

I plan to update my N5 to 5.0/L soon so will see what happens then, re: geo-restrictions.

Edited by lomatopo

I just got back from a quick visa trip to Savannakhet involving two 12-hour bus rides (each direction), and once I recover I'll check on this further. I do know my phone is now on the condo WiFi router, so I can avoid using the 3G connection.

I have had the Fidelity app on my iPhone for several years, but had to use a USA-based iTunes account to install it. My next trip to the USA (December) I will see if I can find a cheap short-term data plan from some 3G carrier and keep the SIM to see if it does avoid geo-restrictions when I'm back here in Thailand.

Am I understanding correctly that the primary account assigned to an Android phone locks one into that account as far as geo-restrictions, unless you do a factory reset? With the iPhone, logging off of a Thailand iTunes account and logging onto a USA iTunes account completely changes the app stores.

"Am I understanding correctly that the primary account assigned to an Android phone locks one into that account as far as geo-restrictions, unless you do a factory reset?"

Not sure? In my case I have reset my phones dozens of times and seem to be able to access geo-restricted apps.

I did read an article, but can't find it now, which mentioned that Google uses the billing address for the CC associated with your Play Store/Wallet account to determine "location" - this would seem to apply to my situation as I use a U.S.-based CC, but not sure what that means for people who choose not to associate a CC, say just planning on using free apps.

Maybe best to use a US CC? Or load up on apps. during your trip. And get a T-Mo SIM to use, and to spoof Google when you return. Obviously it is easy to side-load any app. I just side-loaded a bunch of new apps. like the updated Hangouts, which weren't auto-updating for me yet. I also like the updated version of the Play Store app.

Edited by lomatopo

On the original primary account I used my US-based VISA card with a Thailand billing address. Lesson learned.

In the latest twist in this saga, my brand new Sony Xperia Z3 Compact flat out died yesterday. I put it to sleep in the normal way with about 30-35% battery remaining. Half hour later I couldn't rouse the phone, nor can I charge it (or at least the notification light that used to appear when charging doesn't come on.)

I'm waiting 24 hours before taking it back to the store where I bought it, since a couple users on Sony & XDA forums say their phones resurrected on their own by just leaving them along for a day or so. Tomorrow is D-Day.

//Off Topic Begin

[...]

In the latest twist in this saga, my brand new Sony Xperia Z3 Compact flat out died yesterday. I put it to sleep in the normal way with about 30-35% battery remaining. Half hour later I couldn't rouse the phone, nor can I charge it (or at least the notification light that used to appear when charging doesn't come on.)

I'm waiting 24 hours before taking it back to the store where I bought it, since a couple users on Sony & XDA forums say their phones resurrected on their own by just leaving them along for a day or so. Tomorrow is D-Day.

Sony has confirmed and made a software update available.

System Settings > About Phone - Software Update.

For now, to FORCE you phone to power on, and allow charging...

press <Power-On/Wake> + <BOTH Up/Down Volume> for 10-seconds. Phone should boot normally.

Put the phone back on the charger until the battery is full.

//Off Topic End

Sony has confirmed and made a software update available.

System Settings > About Phone - Software Update.

For now, to FORCE you phone to power on, and allow charging...

press <Power-On/Wake> + <BOTH Up/Down Volume> for 10-seconds. Phone should boot normally.

Put the phone back on the charger until the battery is full.

//Off Topic End

No dice on the three-finger method, either. (Not easy to do with big fingers!) I went to the Sony Store in Central Festival (noticed it was a Numchai operation) last night and they tried their system of resets and nothing happened. They asked me to leave it with them for 15 minutes to recharge. I did so for thirty minutes and when I returned they said it was still dead. They would not refund nor exchange for a new phone because it was more than seven days (11 days) since purchase. They advised me to take it to the Sony Service Center on Sukhumvit who would send it to Bangkok for servicing. No idea on how long it would take.

What does the software update from Sony address?

Really sounds like you may have a bad charger port, or the battery circuit is defective.

Haven't come across any change logs regarding the 4.4.4 firmware updates. Just users saying they don't see see or 'feel' any changes, so probably just a lot of minor operational tweaks to resolve issues.

The battery had a charge between 30% and 35% when I put it to sleep and it was probably only 30 or 40 minutes later when I went to wake it up and nothing happened, so don't think it's the charger port, but could well be the battery itself.

Took it to the Sony Service Center in Pattaya today, and they again tried to charge/revive it before filing the paperwork. They send it to Bangkok and it will "probably" be from "three to four weeks" before I hear anything which I interpret to mean I'll be lucky to have the phone before the new year. Considering it should take a day at most to send it to Bangkok, they must have a horrible backlog of damaged merchandise if they can't even get back to me in less than three weeks with a status report. Mai pen rai.

• 2 weeks later...

When I get my phone back from the Sony Service Center, and if it's wiped clean (which the Service Center told me to expect,) I will come back to ask explicit instructions on how to sign up with a primary account that will allow purchases from the US Google store. My final attempt before the phone died was to do a factory reset of the phone, create a new Google account on my computer while online via Strong VPN (SFO location) using a valid US address and a credit card issued by a US bank, and I was still locked out of the US store.

<begin rant>

Today, I consumed a mood-enhancing substance, rolled the dice, and called the Sony Service Center. ATM, this is the status of my phone:

"When will my phone be ready?"
"Next month. Waiting for parts from Singapore. Two parts ordered number 8 [8th of November.]"

Aren't there planes daily from Singapore to Bangkok? The driving distance is 1137 miles/1830km. On a truck at an average speed of 30mph/50kph, that would take about 36 hours of driving time. There are overnight trains daily. But, it takes over three weeks to receive parts from Singapore and install them?

I won't have my phone until after I return from a trip two-week to the USA and Mexico in mid- to late-December. I had been hoping to get the phone before I left so I could activate and sign up to Google Store while I was actually in the USA with a USA SIM. I bought the phone mid-October in anticipation of using it on my December trip. How naive of me.

The irony is that the main reason I bought the phone was to replace my old broken digital camera and have just a single piece of hardware to carry. To have a decent camera while traveling I now will still have to buy a new camera. <sigh...>

I had a working THB20,000 phone for nine days. I will have not had the phone for 1.5 months. That's assuming the phone is ready when I get back.

</rant>

I'm sorry to say that I have had a very negative warranty support experience with Sony Thailand (or should I say "Sony Bangkok"?), so much so that I've decided not to buy another Sony phone in Thailand (I've had a much better experience with Sony in Singapore)...

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got my phone back from the Sony Service Center.

As warned (and expected) they wiped the phone clean, so I'm ready to sign up for a new Google account. Please advise the best way to do so, so that I can access the USA Google Play Store from Thailand.

My impulse is to use the WiFi internet from my condo (instead of 3G data, like I did before*), sign on to my Strong VPN account based in SFO, use a US mailing address & phone number. Am i close?

I finally got my phone back from the Sony Service Center.

As warned (and expected) they wiped the phone clean, so I'm ready to sign up for a new Google account. Please advise the best way to do so, so that I can access the USA Google Play Store from Thailand.

My impulse is to use the WiFi internet from my condo (instead of 3G data, like I did before*), sign on to my Strong VPN account based in SFO, use a US mailing address & phone number. Am i close?

Yes.

On a PC, connect to the Internet using a US-based IP address (VPN).

Create a gmail account

On the PC, log into the gmail account you just created

Verify that you CAN access the US version of the Google PlayStore

Verify you have access to both FREE and PAID apps

Verify that the Fidelity Investments App is available (though may not yet be selectable as no phone is associated with the account)

NOTE: The Fidelity Investments App appeared when I first did a direct SEARCH for it, but it remained hidden on all subsequent searches. The above FI App link always displays the app while using the VPN connection.

Try adding Fidelity to your WISHLIST so you can find it easier.

On the Phone,

Connect the the Internet using WiFi

Make sure the phone has no pre-existing google account

Sign into your new google account

Open PlayStore

View wishlist and see if the Fidelity App is there and available (yes, no VPN yet).

On the PC via VPN,

try logging out and back into the PlayStore on the PC and see if it will allow you to INSTALL the Fidelity App (or any app) to the phone (will que the app for remote install) now that the phone is registered to the account.

Otherwise, you may need to use the previous sideload routines to install it the first time.

Hopefully this is the ONLY application you have this type of issue with.

Thanks, RichCor, that's exactly what I needed to know.

I'm currently hamstrung because I'm still waiting for the phone's new MAC address (yes, the MAC address is different now) to be added to my condo building's WiFi system.

Finally got condo WiFi service authorized for my phone, but, this borders on the ridiculous:

Using my desktop computer connected to the condo WiFi (3BB), I logged on to my Strong VPN account (San Francisco location) and created a new GMail account where I entered a US telephone number and selected US as country.

Logged on to play.google.com (with browser on desktop computer) with new GMail account/password, and the app screen comes up in Turkish and paid apps are in Turkish currency, and naturally, no Fidelity Investments app.

I checked www.whatismyip.com and it definitely shows San Francisco as the location:

post-33251-0-21568900-1419928409_thumb.j

Any ideas on how to get a GMail/GooglePlay account to believe that I'm in the USA?

Beats me!

On a PC, connect to the Internet using a US-based IP address (VPN).

Create a gmail account

On the PC, log into the gmail account you just created

Verify that you CAN access the US version of the Google PlayStore

Verify you have access to both FREE and PAID apps

Verify that the Fidelity Investments App is available (though may not yet be selectable as no phone is associated with the account)

NOTE: The Fidelity Investments App appeared when I first did a direct SEARCH for it, but it remained hidden on all subsequent searches. The above FI App link always displays the app while using the VPN connection.

Try adding Fidelity to your WISHLIST so you can find it easier.

On the Phone,

Connect the the Internet using WiFi

Make sure the phone has no pre-existing google account

Sign into your new google account

Open PlayStore

View wishlist and see if the Fidelity App is there and available (yes, no VPN yet).

On the PC via VPN,

try logging out and back into the PlayStore on the PC and see if it will allow you to INSTALL the Fidelity App (or any app) to the phone (will que the app for remote install) now that the phone is registered to the account.

Created yet another GMail account. This time GooglePlay Store on computer comes up in English, unable to view any paid apps (at least in Turkish I had paid apps showing...) and unable to find Fidelity app via Search but was able to find it from the direct link above, so I added it to Wishlist.

Then, on phone, able to view Fidelity on Wishlist in GooglePlay Store app.

Back on Play Store via computer browser, unable to install the Fidelity App. Said it was not available in my country.

So, next:

I can verify that the process wxpwzrd outlined works.

On the Android mobile phone

Download a VPN. (In my example I use Hola! VPN)

Press HOME to return to Desktop/Home Screen

Do a one-time "Clear Data" + "Force Close" of Google Play Store...

System Settings > Apps > Google Play Store -- press "Clear Data", press "Force Close"

Press HOME to return to Desktop/Home Screen

Open Hola! VPN and select the top menu item " v My Apps "

Find "Google Play Store" and press the OPEN button (this will launch Google Play Store via the US VPN settings)

Accept the Google Play Terms of Service (accept)

Search for "Fidelity Investments"

* at this point, alternatively, you can tap the PlayStore ICON menu (top left) and select "My Wishlist" to locate items pre-placed there.

Looking for and verifying the white-on-green 'pyramid/sun logo' (It displayed first off for me)

Select the app and press INSTALL

That should do it, now just open the Fidelity app (shouldn't need VPN), just as wxpzzrd wrote. The government needs to put that man on a watch list for not following instructions.

After installing VPN, but not connecting with it, and making sure GooglePlay Store was closed, I went to Settings>Apps>All and cleared data/cache from Google Play Store and forced it close. Then connected to VPN, and opened GooglePlay Store app but it won't connect. Keeps timing out.

The VPN works: I can visit as many web sites as I like using Google Chrome, but the Play Store keeps timing out. It sometimes takes >5 minutes to time out.

Just tried GooglePlay Store app without VPN and it immediately connects. I once again clear data/cache, force it closed, start VPN: unable to connect to GooglePlay Store. "Connection timed out."

So close, yet so far. Why can't I use GooglePlay Store on phone via VPN?

OMG, we did it! clap2.gif

I had been using my trusty (paid) Strong VPN. Then I tried RichCor's Hola! VPN again, and it worked! I was able to install the Fidelity app using the Google Play Store using the Hola! VPN.

• Like 1

Yea!! Just when I was bout to suggest side-loading it as you did last time.

So... hopefully you can use the PC to select what apps get loaded to the phone, or just use PlayStore on the phone.

It's nice when everything works. Frustrating when it doesn't.