Diego Garcia

Elmer Gantry

You won't find a flight to Diego Garcia on any website. It's BIOT, British Indian Ocean Territory. Only folks who work there, go there. US Merchant ships are there. So you'll never go there. But,

It is beautiful there, if you like a gorgeous beach, great fishing. Alas, not open to the public.

• Like 2

You won't find a flight to Diego Garcia on any website. It's BIOT, British Indian Ocean Territory. Only folks who work there, go there. US Merchant ships are there. So you'll never go there. But,

It is beautiful there, if you like a gorgeous beach, great fishing. Alas, not open to the public.

Why is that?

Why is that?

It's a military installation of sorts, Mac flights in and out, The British got rid if the indignious residents long ago and took it over. Perhaps 5000 Filipino nationals do most of the day to day work, the rest of the folks there are Military or contractors.

Entry requirements

Permits

Before travelling to the British Indian Ocean Territory, you will need a valid permit, which you must obtain from the British Indian Ocean Territory Administration, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, King Charles Street, London SW1A 2AH. Telephone: 020 7008 2691.

Any permit issued would be valid for the outer islands only. Access to Diego Garcia is restricted to those with connections to the military facility

Proof of adequate travel insurance and yacht insurance is required before a permit can be issued.

The forms below should be used to apply for a mooring permit for the territory:

The British Indian Ocean Territory is a British Overseas Territory. It is administered from London and there is no British diplomatic or consular representation there.

The British Indian Ocean Territory is not a tourist destination. Access is restricted and a permit is required in advance of travel. There are no commercial flights and permits are only issued to yachts in safe passage. Access to Diego Garcia is only permitted to those with connections to the military facility. See Entry Requirements.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/british-indian-ocean-territoryhttps://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/british-indian-ocean-territory

Why is that?

It's a military installation of sorts, Mac flights in and out, The British got rid if the indignious residents long ago and took it over. Perhaps 5000 Filipino nationals do most of the day to day work, the rest of the folks there are Military or contractors.

Sorry not with you,what is a Mac flight,did the Brits sell it to USA.I did see on one site there was a ship called Vidal that visited there,does it still visit?

From Wikipedia: Between 1968 and 1973, the inhabitants, about 2,000 people, were resettled by the British government to Mauritius and Seychelles to allow the United States to establish a military base on the island. Today, the exiled Chagossians are still trying to return, claiming that the forced expulsion from Diego Garcia was illegal.

Diego Garcia is one huge, off-limits US military base, furnished to them courtesy of the British government after they forcibly removed all the island's inhabitants.

What happened to them?

A small history lesson on the island - http://www.infoplease.com/spot/dg.html

Thanks for the link,very interesting and now more intriguing.Another island I would like to visit is Gan,not sure if that is the correct spelling.Any links would be appreciated.

From Wikipedia: Between 1968 and 1973, the inhabitants, about 2,000 people, were resettled by the British government to Mauritius and Seychelles to allow the United States to establish a military base on the island. Today, the exiled Chagossians are still trying to return, claiming that the forced expulsion from Diego Garcia was illegal.

Sounds like ethnic cleansing,have to research a bit more as my curiosity is now piqued

Sounds like ethnic cleansing,have to research a bit more as my curiosity is now piqued

They were relocated. It's not so much a US base as it is a joint installation. When I can I'll post some beach pics.

They were relocated. It's not so much a US base as it is a joint installation. When I can I'll post some beach pics.

Are you sure,have taken advice from another poster and done a bit of googling, and it looks a bit more sinister to me.But then again I always did enjoy a bit of intrigue.

Diego Garcia is one huge, off-limits US military base, furnished to them courtesy of the British government after they forcibly removed all the island's inhabitants.

What happened to them?

A small history lesson on the island - http://www.infoplease.com/spot/dg.html

Thanks for the link,very interesting and now more intriguing.Another island I would like to visit is Gan,not sure if that is the correct spelling.Any links would be appreciated.

Your mention of Gan brought back some memories for me. Landed at the RAF base there back in April 1965. This was on a military transport plane enroute from Singapore back to the UK. Was just a youngster at the time but can vaguely recall the experience.

A search on google indicates that, being part of the Maldives, the island is now a resort location with it's own International airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan_(Addu_Atoll)

Some history on the RAF base is also on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Gan

May be well worth a visit.

In 1972, I was part of a USO show that went to Diego Garcia to entertain the troops that were there constructing the military base. It was an isolated tropical paradise straight out of a movie. White coral sand beaches and iridescent turquoise blue water. You could stand at one end of the island, and see all the way to the other side. It was quite magical, and we were lucky to be among the few civilians to visit there.