Diego Garcia

Elmer Gantry

Diego Garcia is an US Air Force base....with "secret" radar installations.

The island is for exclusive use of military personnel and a small native population.

Joint with Britain . Look up Filingdale, Its in Yorkshire England, it has a base there that can listen to every phone on earth mobile or land line. No need for radar, satellite is the in-thing at the moment with microwave.

Edited by Thongkorn

The island is for exclusive use of military personnel and a small native population.

Joint with Britain . Look up Filingdale, Its in Yorkshire England, it has a base there that can listen to every phone on earth mobile or land line. No need for radar, satellite is the in-thing at the moment with microwave.

Fylingdales is actually a radar station. It used to be part of the early warning system in the cold war but is now part of the national missile defense system. It's GCHQ in Cheltenham that does all the electronics spying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fylingdales

Edited by sustento

Fylingdales is actually a radar station. It used to be part of the early warning system in the cold war but is now part of the national missile defense system. It's GCHQ in Cheltenham that does all the electronics spying.

Yes totally agree its linked with the place near oxford, same thing giant golf ball domes. There is a place near Lincoln called RAF Digby, they listen to all the Radios and Morse code signals. any more information and i will have to kill you, joking before the internet police get me.

Yes totally agree its linked with the place near oxford, same thing giant golf ball domes. There is a place near Lincoln called RAF Digby, they listen to all the Radios and Morse code signals. any more information and i will have to kill you, joking before the internet police get me.

I had a mate who went to work at GCHQ back in the day when we actually used morse. He asked me to be his referee. I got a very strange phone call from a man who wouldn't tell me who he was or who he worked for but he wanted to know all about the 3 years I'd spent at college with my mate.

The black helicopters are now on the way to your house biggrin.png

Not sure if still true but at one time the US Navy had a huge communications center there; especially for ELINT (Electronic Intelligence) It was also a major tracking site for NASA.

If you look at a globe, you can see what a huge communications area it covered.

It became especially important for the USN after they were forced out of Subic Bay and Clark in the Philippines.

Diego Garcia is one huge, off-limits US military base, furnished to them courtesy of the British government after they forcibly removed all the island's inhabitants.

What happened to them?

Forced relocation. They threatened them and cut off the supply ships so they had to move, starved them out, Google it. They're in the process of taking UK to court over the theft of their Island. Horrible story, Uk leases the Islands to the US for all their bombings campaigns World Wide.

Diego Garcia is one huge, off-limits US military base, furnished to them courtesy of the British government after they forcibly removed all the island's inhabitants.

What happened to them?

Forced relocation. They threatened them and cut off the supply ships so they had to move, starved them out, Google it. They're in the process of taking UK to court over the theft of their Island. Horrible story, Uk leases the Islands to the US for all their bombings campaigns World Wide.

Watch the video linked in post #30.

What happened to them?

Watch the video linked in post #30.

Will do,thanks.

What happened to them?

Using paradise to create hell.

There are Direct daily flights to Gan from Male, you can visit the old bases etc.

The Maldivian then let it be used by the Russians as a Indian Ocean Sub base of sorts, now the Chinese are about to get there grubby fingers on it.

Sorry to hear that,I was there in 1967 when we surveyed Diego Garcia for the Americans.Best place in the world I have ever been,was there for 3 months fantastic.There was the wreck of a Catalina flying boat on the beach,I wonder if it is still there.An RAF Shackleton used to drop our mail and unfortunately it crashed killing all the crew.Thanks for the info.

There are Direct daily flights to Gan from Male, you can visit the old bases etc.

The Maldivian then let it be used by the Russians as a Indian Ocean Sub base of sorts, now the Chinese are about to get there grubby fingers on it.

Sorry to hear that,I was there in 1967 when we surveyed Diego Garcia for the Americans.Best place in the world I have ever been,was there for 3 months fantastic.There was the wreck of a Catalina flying boat on the beach,I wonder if it is still there.An RAF Shackleton used to drop our mail and unfortunately it crashed killing all the crew.Thanks for the info.

Out of interest I looked up the safety record of the Shackletons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_Avro_Shackleton

Was really surprised at the number of fatal accidents it was involved in the 1950's and 60's. No idea how many were in service but, whatever the number, the incidents seem on the high side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_Avro_Shackleton

Was really surprised at the number of fatal accidents it was involved in the 1950's and 60's. No idea how many were in service but, whatever the number, the incidents seem on the high side.

Thanks for the link,very interesting.I'm not sure if it was the one out of Singapore.I used to have a pic of it but lost it in the floods.As a matter of interest your not an ex dabtoe,I was a greenie.

Thanks for the link,very interesting.I'm not sure if it was the one out of Singapore.I used to have a pic of it but lost it in the floods.As a matter of interest your not an ex dabtoe,I was a greenie.

My interest was due to living next to RAF Changi airbase from 1962-65. Stayed in Old Sarum Road (near to the Sergeants Mess - great for my dad, who was a Warrant Officer in the Signals attached to the RAF in those days) and overlooked the apron. As a youngster (9 to 12y.o) it was just wonderful to see all the different types of aircraft up close - the Shackletons included. Great memories!