Lost the original Chanote in public

So I did the genius thing of leaving my partner's original land chanote on the Skytrain this morning on the way home from applying for a visa. In the envelope was also a photocopy of her ID card.

She is currently on the way to the police station in Bangkok to report it with a photocopy of the chanote but she says that whoever finds it can go to a bank or a money lender and use the chanote against a loan without her presence. Is this true or what is the worst that can happen?

IMO bit of a yes and no answer...no, will still need further signatures (power of attorney etc.), further documents (house registration) for a Bank or legitimate lender to register the loan...yes, if the finder knows a corrupt official (yes they do exist in Thailand wink.png) or an illigitimate loan for a small amount eg. probably <10,000 baht and the lender holds onto the chanote but this is unlikely as the chanote is not 'security' as not in the borrower's name.

The thing to do is get the police report number and go to the land office in person with all documentation first thing tomorrow morning and report the lost chanote.

• Like 1

I doubt if any bank or money lender will be satisfied with a photocopy of an I.D card.

My sense is that your partner should contact the land office (as well as the police)

They will advise.

The likelihood is that a replacement Chanote will have to be issued.

Well, the plot thickens, it couldn't just be a simple story.

So today a Malaysian girl called my phone to say she found my envelope on the Skytrain. She got on the station I disembarked at. So I go and collect the envelope and everything is there except the Chanote!

Now heading to the visa shop as it may never have been there in the first place!

The "land chanote" I was given grief for losing was just a copy of our condo contract which was somehow lost in translation from Thai to Thai.

Thankfully a non-story in the end but good to know what could happen if I ever do lose it!