Where to buy an Ebook Reader in Chiang mai?

filgerman2014

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Kobo Glo that I'm no longer using. (I switched to an iPad Mini. Much heavier, but I do other things with it besides read.)

If you're interested, msg me. But I'm going out of town for the weekend, leaving Friday morning, so if you want it, msg me ASAP and you can see it tomorrow.

Check out the prices of Kindles and other hardware. Then go buy a used notepad computer, configure it to use whatever epub reader you wish, and use the extra money you saved on something else, like buying ebooks!

• 1 year later...

When I was using dedicated e-readers, I much preferred Kobo and Sony devices over the Kindle readers. But Amazon's incredible advertising has certainly allowed Kindle to dominate the market, and there's no doubt that it, too, is a very good e-reader. But be aware that you may be paying for a LOT of features that you'll never use. Look at the list of features of the different readers carefully before you buy. You may not need an English/Slovanian dictionary or the ability to download Fox News... When I'm reading a spy novel I rarely annotate in the margins. But most importantly, these days the leading file format for books is 'epub.' Kindle doesn't support this format, so if you swap books with friends, you need to be aware that you may have to do a lot of file conversions.

Kindle Paperwhite is king and Amazon's support and service is brilliant. Install the wonderful (and free, although it's one of the few where a donation is truly justified) Calibre on your computer and forget about conversion issues. Legally free material is in abundance and buying from Amazon or other sources is astoundingly simple even if the prices are still on the high side for a digital product.

I bought a Kindle white book in August in the states. I was extremely happy with it and so was my wife because I didn't need a light at night to read it.

Just last month they surprised me with an update that made it even better. I can't complain and highly recommend it.

I am not really familiar with the other brands do they need a light to read them or do you have to be in a shady place for them. Or are they more like note books?

The current e-readers are pretty much similar in the 'reading' part. Most come with back-lighting if desired, or, you can turn it off. Most have built-in dictionaries with touch-the-word connectivity. Most can access the Internet for immediate downloads. Kindle's real advantage is the huge number of books available. Push a button, get a new book, and read. Some complain that the ease of this system causes them to 'over-buy' and blow their book budgets too quickly. All of them have the ability to 'side-load' book from your computer that you've gotten from various on-line sites. None are really 'better' than the others. They just have different 'features' that some like and others don't need. I've gone through Sony Readers, Kobo readers, Nook readers, and Kindles. Now I prefer using a mini-iPad. It's heavier than the others but does what I want.

The current e-readers are pretty much similar in the 'reading' part. Most come with back-lighting if desired, or, you can turn it off. Most have built-in dictionaries with touch-the-word connectivity. Most can access the Internet for immediate downloads. Kindle's real advantage is the huge number of books available. Push a button, get a new book, and read. Some complain that the ease of this system causes them to 'over-buy' and blow their book budgets too quickly. All of them have the ability to 'side-load' book from your computer that you've gotten from various on-line sites. None are really 'better' than the others. They just have different 'features' that some like and others don't need. I've gone through Sony Readers, Kobo readers, Nook readers, and Kindles. Now I prefer using a mini-iPad. It's heavier than the others but does what I want.

I know you can order from Amazon on it but do they deliver to it every time automatically with out having to go through a process?

I know you can order from Amazon on it but do they deliver to it every time automatically with out having to go through a process?

Amazon won't sell Kindle direct to Thailand. Best to go via Ebay with a seller who has sold several thousand brand new ones to Thailand.

I assume that you are referring to getting books delivered rather than the e-reader. The answer is yes. Assuming that you've created an account with Amazon, just chose your book just as if you are placing any order with Amazon. Select 'e-book' as your preferred style for delivery, and as soon as you click on 'buy,' it shows up in your Kindle. I can even do the same with the Kindle app in my iPad if I wanted.

The only real drawback to a Kindle is that Amazon has been known to take books back... actually delete them from your e-reader when there has been some legal problems with an author. They've done this several times over the past few years. I find it disconcerting to think that some company can just come in without invitation and take back something that I've paid for.

I don't really want a Kindle as I want epub and pdf too.... and no adverts. Was looking at the Kobo Aura H2O...

I don't think you'll be happy reading pdf's on either. For me, the only thing that works 'almost' satisfactorily for them is the full size iPad. Otherwise, there is just waaay too much scrolling around the page to deal with them. Once you enlarge the average pdf to a readable scale, even the large iPad requires moving all over the page to follow the text.

Given the end of Barnes and Nobel's e-book venture... I can't think of a single sane reason to buy anything other than a Kindle. If you want to read epub or pdf you just use Caliber to convert them to mobi format. Caliber is free.

Would you give your reasons for saying this? I've spent several months with a Kindle, and gave it away in favor of the Kobo Glo. I didn't like the fact that 1/3 of its usable size was taken up by a keyboard. I wanted a full 'book-size' screen of text. I used that for a year or two before moving on to an iPad mini. I'd never consider a Kindle again. Why do you favor it?

You are way out of date. The Paperwhite (and especially the new one) is an excellent form factor with no keyboard and zero wasted space and very intuitive operation. Amazon is king of this market because its hardware, software and support is really second to none - they even replaced my Kindle free (including shipping, Duty etc) when I broke it out of warranty. Issues of format are a red herring as with Calibre conversion is instant and automatic. I had a friend with a Sony who asked advice about their library software and it was grim beyond belief. I predict that others will go the way of B&N in the next few years.

Edited by Greenside

I don't really want a Kindle as I want epub and pdf too.... and no adverts. Was looking at the Kobo Aura H2O...

I don't think you'll be happy reading pdf's on either. For me, the only thing that works 'almost' satisfactorily for them is the full size iPad. Otherwise, there is just waaay too much scrolling around the page to deal with them. Once you enlarge the average pdf to a readable scale, even the large iPad requires moving all over the page to follow the text.

Given the end of Barnes and Nobel's e-book venture... I can't think of a single sane reason to buy anything other than a Kindle. If you want to read epub or pdf you just use Caliber to convert them to mobi format. Caliber is free.

Would you give your reasons for saying this? I've spent several months with a Kindle, and gave it away in favor of the Kobo Glo. I didn't like the fact that 1/3 of its usable size was taken up by a keyboard. I wanted a full 'book-size' screen of text. I used that for a year or two before moving on to an iPad mini. I'd never consider a Kindle again. Why do you favor it?

There is almost zero disagreement that the Kindle (particularly the Paperwhite and Voyage) is the superlative e-reader. There is no keyboard (and hasn't been for two generations of Kindle). It is the most usable and useful device in its class.

I have no hard on for Amazon and wouldn't touch a Kindle Fire if you paid me but they do e-readers better than anyone.

Calibre is/was a lifesaver for me back when I was using a dedicated e-reader.

It handled all the conversions chores, kept track of libraries, and transferred books on and off my devices.

Now that I use an iPad Mini, I just never have any need for it any more.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon won't sell Kindle direct to Thailand. Best to go via Ebay with a seller who has sold several thousand brand new ones to Thailand.

Not true

100% true. Amazon do not sell Kindle direct to Thailand any more. They did for a bit, then they stopped. Which is why there's a thriving market for new ones from Ebay.

Also for those who travel in the region - there is a shop in Phnom Penh that sells them plus what may be the ugliest cases in history. They are brand new and boxed with original factory seals.

Not true

100% true. Amazon do not sell Kindle direct to Thailand any more. They did for a bit, then they stopped. Which is why there's a thriving market for new ones from Ebay.

Also for those who travel in the region - there is a shop in Phnom Penh that sells them plus what may be the ugliest cases in history. They are brand new and boxed with original factory seals.

Well, I just received a new Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon, it took 6 days to arrive by UPS. It was a ( totally free ) replacement for a similar Kindle that went bad. They even waived the shipping cost, the online support was very good.

Phil

Not true

Well, I just received a new Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon, it took 6 days to arrive by UPS. It was a ( totally free ) replacement for a similar Kindle that went bad. They even waived the shipping cost, the online support was very good.

Phil

Replacement items aren't new orders. If you go to Amazon.com (or indeed any Amazon) and request shipping of a new one to Thailand you will find; "We do not ship this item to your country."

OK, I couldn't resist the challenge as I ordered and received a Kindle here in Thailand a number of years ago. I just added a Kindle to my Amazon shopping cart. Sure enough, it now says they cannot ship to my address in Thailand. bah.gif

BTW, I use Calibre and download books often. In Calibre, they have a menu setting to "transfer book to device" and it will automatically transfer and convert the epub or other file to my Kindle in the proper format. Easy.