Overstay 2 .5 years

Hi, Just had an email from a friend who left a few days ago back to the UK. He was very worried with all the tales of a clampdown. He said that the immigration at swampy couldn't have been more polite or helpful. He spent months worrying about it for nothing.

Has the banning of people from Thailand for overstay been put on a back burner or still going slowly through the process ?

I wonder how many people are holding out thinking it isn't going to go ahead and are going to get caught out ?

I would recommend getting out now before they do implement it without warning.

• Like 1

Had a similar experience recently though only for a much shorter time.

The Thai embassy in Laos entered one date for my visa, but when I went through Immigration in Nong Kha they stamped a different date. I never looked at their stamp only the Visa stamp. But when I went for my extension the immigration officer told me and my wife that I had overstayed by a considerable amount of time. I of course said that I didn't and showed the Visa, he then showed me the immigration stamp. I was of course stupefied. He then said no problem, he has had many problems with that particular immigration officer recently and he should go back to school to learn to read. He then crossed out that immigration stamp, wrote in a new one, signed stamped and initialed everything, gave me my extension. No fine, no hassle very polite and wonderful experience.

• Like 1

I have told and or recommended to people for 20 years that they should not be afraid to go to the immigration department and work something out with the officials.

Although there is the chance of being reprimanded to a degree the immigration officials for the most part are more than easy enough to deal with if you simply play the:

"I am very sorry, I did not understand and I am so sorry, I do not know what to do now, can you please help me"

You have to grovel a little bit but the end result is you make friends and connections that can help you while commonly they befriend you and help you for free or sometimes they want a service fee to be paid.

I have used immigration agents for the last 20 years and they deal with the immigration officials and do it as a business but I also know some of the relatively high ranking officials having met some of them and they have provided services for me.

If you have an immigration problem I suggest you go have a talk with them, hat in hand and beg their forgiveness ( put on the show that is more or less expected of you which establishes their authority and shows respect to them ) and resolve the problem.

Cheers

• Like 1

this sign outside immigration office.. although if the guy simply gets a new passport how would they know?

I guess you never noticed immigration uses computers. They can pull up all the history of your entries, departures and etc. by doing a name and date of birth search.

Re-entering wasn't a problem once the overstay was cleared. My overstay was for significantly longer (11yr) and was able to re-enter visa exempt which was then extended (Chaeng Wattana) and subsequently I received and entered again on a tourist visa, all since August this year. Once it was settled, unlike some posters, the I/Os did not make mention of it again. He hopefully should have no problem. However once the rules come in I think that a very different experience awaits those who do not use this chance to get it sorted out. I am sure like me he felt a tremendous sense of relief. The officers I dealt with were professional and courteous.

Edited by gilo

As said, people need to get out now before they are caught out. My friend was surprised at just how polite and courteous immigration were. He was expecting to at least be given a hard time over it.

I've always found them, whether at the airport or at a local office, to be polite, helpful and efficient. Some people create problems for themselves, either by misusing the system or by being arrogant, and then try to blame it all on immigrations officers. Accepting personal responsibility for choices we make in life, rather than pointing fingers, seems to work out well ... with immigrations and much more. There's no need to put on an act of servility. Just be business-like in your dealings with them and that's how they'll treat you.

Quite possibly it is better to overstay than it is to get an IO in your passport, because you are giving immigration money and that is what counts.

Rather poor advice on both counts. In all probability the days of little consequence for overstaying will soon be over and a great deal more than paying some piddling fine will be what counts. Most people get by just paying the published charges for extensions and such. Looking at it solely in terms of how much you end up paying by doing it one way or another is short-sighted.

Edited by Suradit69