Advice/Reports from farangs who have successfully done an Islamic Thai marriage

PhuketAmerican

Please don't flame me or even reply unless you personally have experience with this or are very familiar with the process from relatives.

I am a US citizen working legally in Thailand and satisfying all the legal requirements for my marriage in February to a Thai woman from Phuket. Her family, especially parents and older members are quite religious. So far as a prelude to getting married I understand I am required to convert to Islam in the presence of her local Imam in Ao Po, Phuket and need to go every night for 2 weeks to "Learn for Musalim" (her words) to prepare for this. I also have to show my penis to the Imam to prove I've been cut. Sounds pretty crazy to me, surely not everywhere is like this. Has anyone else gone through this and what should I expect.

post-187534-0-28187600-1413893955_thumb.

Man...buddy...you are giving up your life...being forced to become Islamic...in order...to take an Islamic Thai lady for a wife...?

I would advise you to take a step back...take a look at ALL the pros and cons...and the what ifs...as in what if she decides this marriage is not working for her...

I mean really...are you prepared to pray facing Mecca several times a day...and you must be realistic...you may be required to help finance some Muslim folk who will be trying to harm innocent people...just saying...

Take into consideration the ramifications of converting to Islam. If you decide at some future point that it isn't the lifestyle/religion for you and want to leave, you become "apostate" (look that up and see what the punishment is for that). I could copy/paste dozens of quotes and links, but it would be better for you to find out for yourself so that you don't think it is just "made up" hype.

I would seriously suggest you learn a lot about the religion before you make the decision to convert. It may require you to make significant changes to your lifestyle, and the family pressure will likely be huge as well.

• Like 1

i can't speak directly for muslims but i feel obligated to point out that many of them would tell you that among muslims genital mutilation (male and female) is actually a cultural phenomenon not a religious one, even though religion is often used as a rationalization for it. the bottom line is the quran doesn't mention it at all. i'm assuming from what you've written you're already cut so it would just be a formality for you, but you should read up on it (from a wide range of sources) before committing to imposing an irreversible body modification on your potential future sons in order to satisfy a supposed theological requirement that many of the faithful dispute. there are also jews who shun circumcision even though their religion does seem to require it. the reasons some of them give are quite interesting.

anyway best wishes

• Like 2

Take into consideration the ramifications of converting to Islam. If you decide at some future point that it isn't the lifestyle/religion for you and want to leave, you become "apostate" (look that up and see what the punishment is for that). I could copy/paste dozens of quotes and links, but it would be better for you to find out for yourself so that you don't think it is just "made up" hype.

I would seriously suggest you learn a lot about the religion before you make the decision to convert. It may require you to make significant changes to your lifestyle, and the family pressure will likely be huge as well.

I left Islam after 20 years.

OP - I would suggest you the following - I went through the same procedure in the late 80's.

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahada
You need to learn the Shahada and once you know the Shahada you can visit a local mosque anywhere in Bangkok - I did it on Silom Road when it was run my Southern Thai Malays but now it is managed by Arabs so my advise stay only with Southern Malay Thais in Bangkok. Near Banglampu is a small mosque or try Soi Samakee next to Nichada Thani.

2) Bring your camera with you and visit the mosque shortly before the evening prayers and tell the Imam you want to convert to Islam on your free will. Bring your passport copy with you that shows you are legal in Thailand. The visa page and the copy of the first page is enough.

3) Request from the Imam to issue you a letter with the letterhead from that mosque that you recited the Shahada which is the first important step of becoming a Muslim. You should already know of a Muslim name you want to take so it should be SOMENAME Bin Abdullah. Insist they add this name in the letter. Sidikah/Tamboon some money or buy milk and carpets for the mosque. I would suggest 2000-3000 Baht is enough.

4) Visit any private hospital in Bangkok such as Bangkok Hospital, etc and say to them that you want to be circumcised. Most hospitals use now laser and its a very easy procedure. When I did it, it was bloody messy as I let a village doctor do it for me. Get the letter from the hospital and with the mosque letter and the hospital letter.

Go with those 2 documents one from the hospital and the other document from the Mosque to the Islamic Center of Thailand and they will issue you a letter that you are now a Muslim.

If you want things to done smooth pay 2.5% of your profit or your current cash and shares you own for Zakat.

So now lets review your conversion:

1) Shahada - The most important issue of becoming a Muslim - If you can't recite the Shahada you are not a muslim. If you do not know how to pray yet 5 times a day you are still a Muslim as you are a convert and need time to learn.

2) Zakat

3) Circumsized

4) Have a Muslim name

The only items you have not done yet is learn how to pray and performing the Hajj.

If I were you keep the parents or family out of it.

Once you have the document that you are a Muslim convert copy it over and send it to your lassie to show around.

Always tell anybody that question you that you are a Muslim that it is between you and Allah and no one's else business.

I wish you all the best of luck.

You can send me a PM if you have any questions.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

If someone told me I had to show my penis to some grand poobah religious figure, I'd immediately beotch slap him.

If I thought I had to show my penis to this guy I wouldn't be able to show him my balls because I wouldn't have anyAnd

And yet, I bet you've shown it to your doctor several times ... not to mention the boys in the shower room. I think you doth protest too much.

You are restricting your answer pool by only inviting white men (farang) to participate.

Gentlemen of color are far more likely to have 'Muslim' experience.

Did you read his post? He's specifically asking non-muslim "white men" if any of them have had the experience of marrying a muslim woman.

With all due respect: You need to think very very hard about this one. Converting to a religion of which you seem no know very little "only" to marry someone is most likely a very big mistake. Remember ... this is for the rest of your life (maybe).

Also, don't forget you are in Thailand where the male is the "man of the house." If anyone should be converting religion it should be her ... not you. However, most likely she won't ... or is afraid to ... convert. It's obviously your choice, but if she won't convert then I'd walk away ... far far away.

...for your consideration:

1) in case of a future divorce...do some research

2) in case you want to convert to another religion in the future, research 'punishment for apostasy in Islam', there is some fine reading there...

this should make your decision more balanced

unfortunately, some replies just focused on (showing penis)

some replies smelling idiot racism against Islam while they know no thing at all what Islam is? unless the ridiculous western media,

Guys ... search on YouTube, google . and find out how many 1000s of native Americans, Europeans considered to be well educated, scholars are converting to Islam not the reason to marry with a muslim lady or any.. e.g. Yusuf Estes, watch his lectures on YouTube,

I would like to add my voice to some replies: Study the basics of Islam, learn the foundations, and what are you going to do in your future's life, once you walk ahead in this path, I'm there will be lot of findings worthy to look at it, and that time the marrying matter will be a very minor issue comparing to be converted to Islam,

Converting to Islam will be 90% and the marrying reason will be 10% or less,

Be free mind, neutral to start your learning journey, reading Quran, searching on google, joining discussion forums etc,

to do so, throw all these comments , replies in your back and walk ahead, then judge it later, I think it's an interesting experience to try something new and explore a new world, new culture.. try and see.. but be free from any previous ideas about islam, Learn and learn and learn, then if you feel really convinced say Shahad = (witenessing on yourself) that you became a Muslim,

Keep in mind that Allah (God) watching over you and seeing what is in your mind and heart, do not deceive yourself, and be misguided, misled by anyone else, tomorrow you be judged alone,

I dated one Muslim lady in Ayutthaya, and no way in hell, would I change join the intolerant Muslim faith just to marry her. If you want to be a Muslim, then go for it...if not, then marry her without becoming Muslim, or run. I say run! What does your family think? Many women to choose from.

What a gang of racists, morons, uneducated red necks in this forum.

From talking about converting for marriage purposes jumping to Isis and other stupid remarks about a religion most have never read about or known except through fox and racist western media.

Imagine two seconds the following reasoning on Christians. Since priests have been molesting boys all over the worlds, this means Christians are all pedophiles. Since white Christians has committed many criminal genocides in history this means white Christians are genetically criminals and the proof is based on facts.

Many here, do not have the brain, the education, the critical mindset to give advice on subjects they don't master or have knowledge of.

Leave this man follow his heart and don't ruin his life project.

You already ruined yours, go to bars and continue all what you deserve is bar girls. He is at least getting married to clean lady.

. Interesting post that but ruined by the last 4 lines
  • Like 2

...for your consideration:

1) in case of a future divorce...do some research

2) in case you want to convert to another religion in the future, research 'punishment for apostasy in Islam', there is some fine reading there...

this should make your decision more balanced

In Pattaya I personally know some Thai Muslims who were required to take up Buddhism to marry into Buddhist families. Some were ostrasied by some family and friends, but no physical threats. A few marriages later failed and they were accepted back into the Muslim community by those who had shunned them. In the reverse I know some Buddhists who converted to marry into Muslim families, some were ostrasied by some in their family and friends, I guess they would also be accepted back into the local Buddhist community if the realationship ended.

I also know some Thai Muslims who initiated divorce, men and women, there were no issues and straight forward.

• Like 2

OP,

This thread is another great opportunity for these keyboard warriors and Islamofoobs who really got no idea whatsoever as they think every Islam person is making bombs and hating other people.

I won't even go into the discussion on here because I've given up on all these numbnuts are don't want to waste my time talking talk which they listen to anyway.

Other topics, interesting and fun forums but these questions only attract the simple minded ones.

I was almost married to a Thai muslim woman and backed of because of some reasons. I think I have a lot of information so if you are interested to share some, send me a pm.

cheers.

• Like 1

some replies smelling idiot racism against Islam while they know no thing at all what Islam is? unless the ridiculous western media,

Guys ... search on YouTube, google . and find out how many 1000s of native Americans, Europeans considered to be well educated, scholars are converting to Islam not the reason to marry with a muslim lady or any.. e.g. Yusuf Estes, watch his lectures on YouTube,

I would like to add my voice to some replies: Study the basics of Islam, learn the foundations, and what are you going to do in your future's life, once you walk ahead in this path, I'm there will be lot of findings worthy to look at it, and that time the marrying matter will be a very minor issue comparing to be converted to Islam,

Be free mind, neutral to start your learning journey, reading Quran, searching on google, joining discussion forums etc,

to do so, throw all these comments , replies in your back and walk ahead, then judge it later, I think it's an interesting experience to try something new and explore a new world, new culture.. try and see.. but be free from any previous ideas about islam, Learn and learn and learn, then if you feel really convinced say Shahad = (witenessing on yourself) that you became a Muslim,

Keep in mind that Allah (God) watching over you and seeing what is in your mind and heart, do not deceive yourself, and be misguided, misled by anyone else, tomorrow you be judged alone,

You are spot on but for PhuketAmerican he wants to convert because he is in love with a local Muslima from the South.

I have seen many converts in Malaysia that marry a Muslima because of their love to the woman but not for Islam.

I went through the same rituals many years back and I can say I was an average good Muslim for almost 20 years. I didn't drink alcohol for such a long time and my wife at the time was a very liberal Muslim woman from Singapore. The everythign changed after 9/11. Everybody started to force my wife to use a hijab and as well my step daughters and religion became the number one subject in the family and looking down on everybody else. She was clearly manipulated by her older brothers, uncles etc and I said I no longer take that shit anymore and I divorced her and got rid of the whole family clan.

I dated several other Muslima's from Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and Turkey until I changed my mind to date any religion.

Then I found my lassie in Sakon Nakhon and in the beginning I insisted on her to convert to Islam but this issue I dropped 2 years ago because she is just perfect the way she is and I want her to be in the same way she is.

I no longer follow more the 5 pillars of Islam nor would I ever convert again to any religion for a woman. My lassie now is a Buddhist and I expect her to always be a Buddhist. I have tried to get the Wat out of her head during the first year I was with her.

May be I am a weak convert but I would no longer put religion above my family. The important issues are to have values in our life and follow those values.

I tried to assist PhuketAmerican to become a quick Muslim and then go on with their life and I think that is what his lassie wants as well and I wish them all the best. If he doesn't converts he will not get her.

• Like 2

Certainly, ... will be an endless anti-Islamic comments, criticism, insulting, and such commonly known propagandas,

some facts about Islam:

1. Islam is a transparent & self explained religion, no ambiguity, no riddles, no hidden secrets,

2. Islam is a self defender on it self from among it self.

3. Islam does not really need any one to justify its righteousness, or explain its goodness.

4. Islam is a religion that speaking to human mind, not to their emotions, feelings or whatsoever..

5. Islam convinced around 1.5 billion human to enter it and follow it voluntarily.

6. Islam is the religion that keeping on a progressive spreading over the 5 continents,

Questions:

a. why 1000s of native westerners, Europeans, Asians are every year converting to Islam with out any marrying relations?

b. what is the reason that makes them to accept Islam and be fully adopted in their life style?

c. why there is a large number among those new Muslims are scholars, high-educated and prominent figures? what makes them to accept and adopt it? any common fact ?

A someone that respects his mind, he should take the initiative to have a look on Quran, and quick view on the history of Islam and then judge it, instead of just being a parrot repeating the old racist propagandas against Islam,

A such action of civilized manner will bring you into a direct scope display of Islam to strengthen your debate in case you find any conflict issues or problematic matters among it,

but, do not link Islam to human deeds, or the faulty of some followers etc, a such ridiculous conclusion will insult you in return,

Search and be a professional scientific fact finder using a civilized human brain in full capacity.. as you are expected to be !

Afterwards, come back to this forum and debate with evidence in hand from Quran sayings, no body will dare to deny,

Otherwise, keep your racist emotional ideas on the shelf for your own consumption, because nowadays people are capable to utilize their own brains properly, not just believe any ridiculous nonsense posted in forums or such racist propagandas against Islam,

AND ... if you just enjoying to keep condemning and expressing your opposition against Islam, be sure that Islam will keep spreading, also for whom thinking to convert to Islam, be sure that Islam with you.. or with out you, will keep spreading ahead, so please do not waste your time to pretend just to get marry with a lady or whatsoever temporary short matters of life..

Good luck for all whom having a dynamic thinker brains & fact finding seekers.

Edited by momtaz
  • Like 1

You are spot on but for PhuketAmerican he wants to convert because he is in love with a local Muslima from the South.

I have seen many converts in Malaysia that marry a Muslima because of their love to the woman but not for Islam.

I went through the same rituals many years back and I can say I was an average good Muslim for almost 20 years. I didn't drink alcohol for such a long time and my wife at the time was a very liberal Muslim woman from Singapore. The everythign changed after 9/11. Everybody started to force my wife to use a hijab and as well my step daughters and religion became the number one subject in the family and looking down on everybody else. She was clearly manipulated by her older brothers, uncles etc and I said I no longer take that shit anymore and I divorced her and got rid of the whole family clan.

I dated several other Muslima's from Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and Turkey until I changed my mind to date any religion.

Then I found my lassie in Sakon Nakhon and in the beginning I insisted on her to convert to Islam but this issue I dropped 2 years ago because she is just perfect the way she is and I want her to be in the same way she is.

I no longer follow more the 5 pillars of Islam nor would I ever convert again to any religion for a woman. My lassie now is a Buddhist and I expect her to always be a Buddhist. I have tried to get the Wat out of her head during the first year I was with her.

May be I am a weak convert but I would no longer put religion above my family. The important issues are to have values in our life and follow those values.

I tried to assist PhuketAmerican to become a quick Muslim and then go on with their life and I think that is what his lassie wants as well and I wish them all the best. If he doesn't converts he will not get her.

IF PhuketAmerican reason to convert to Islam just to marry, my sincere advise to him to stay away from this process, by such he is deceiving and betraying himself, and a such marriage will be successful no matter how long to be with her,

in a good understand, we assume that his intent is honest, and may lead him later on to be a good real Muslim, to change your entire life style for just a lady is not really worthy .. unless to be fully convinced

Certainly, ... will be an endless anti-Islamic comments, criticism, insulting, and such commonly known propagandas,

some facts about Islam:

1. Islam is a transparent & self explained religion, no ambiguity, no riddles, no hidden secrets,

2. Islam is a self defender on it self from among it self.

3. Islam does not really need any one to justify its righteousness, or explain its goodness.

4. Islam is a religion that speaking to human mind, not to their emotions, feelings or whatsoever..

5. Islam convinced around 1.5 billion human to enter it and follow it voluntarily.

6. Islam is the religion that keeping on a progressive spreading over the 5 continents,

Questions:

a. why 1000s of native westerners, Europeans, Asians are every year converting to Islam with out any marrying relations?

b. what is the reason that makes them to accept Islam and be fully adopted in their life style?

c. why there is a large number among those new Muslims are scholars, high-educated and prominent figures? what makes them to accept and adopt it? any common fact ?

A someone that respects his mind, he should take the initiative to have a look on Quran, and quick view on the history of Islam and then judge it, instead of just being a parrot repeating the old racist propagandas against Islam,

A such action of civilized manner will bring you into a direct scope display of Islam to strengthen your debate in case you find any conflict issues or problematic matters among it,

but, do not link Islam to human deeds, or the faulty of some followers etc, a such ridiculous conclusion will insult you in return,

Search and be a professional scientific fact finder using a civilized human brain in full capacity.. as you are expected to be !

Afterwards, come back to this forum and debate with evidence in hand from Quran sayings, no body will dare to deny,

Otherwise, keep your racist emotional ideas on the shelf for your own consumption, because nowadays people are capable to utilize their own brains properly, not just believe any ridiculous nonsense posted in forums or such racist propagandas against Islam,

AND ... if you just enjoying to keep condemning and expressing your opposition against Islam, be sure that Islam will keep spreading, also for whom thinking to convert to Islam, be sure that Islam with you.. or with out you, will keep spreading ahead, so please do not waste your time to pretend just to get marry with a lady or whatsoever temporary short matters of life..

Good luck for all whom having a dynamic thinker brains & fact finding seekers.

You should just ignore some posters. They have nothing else to do then to bash someone.