Beer Price War Brewing As Sales Start To Slow

george

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer in Thailand is bloody awful. Why can Laos make such good beer? Yet the Thai stuff is so bag. Chang, Leo its really heavy stuff. Not pleasant or refreshing.

This is my fourth year of living in Bangkok full time. Last week I had a bottle of Fosters in Gullivers, Soi 5. It wasn’t cheap and probably would have chosen something else if I was at home but the choice here is terrible. The beer was great. I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed a nice cold glass of beer.

I believe our beloved caretaker Mr. Taksin makes money on Heineken beer so if you want imported beer that’s available you will drink Heineken beer. That’s democracy Thai style.

Thailand would be number one in Asia if wasn’t run by criminals.

Politicians should not be so involved in business and commerce. Governments make policies so may be inclined to make a decision based on financial interest rather than the good of the people.

Its called conflict of interest in most civilized countries.

tastes awful :o

Nearly eveyone has candida yeast infection to some degree - men included. sugars and dough are a great bed for yeast growth, which speads to every part of the body - particularly via the lymph system. You get that from the toast and jam you cram in your mouth. Then take fermented yeast - which, because yeast is competative, competes with candida for space in your body - and each produces toxins to ward the other off. You get the fermented yeast from beer and spirits. In conclusion, is it surprising that beer drinkers are most often overweight and dog-tired? But the ladies love you, and that's what's important - especially when you sally over to the ATM so often with a big pink grin plastered on yer face.

ur burgers,

got the first part of your post but need clarification to the last piece old mate.

um do the ladies love you because your spending all your dosh on a nice drink in there bar ? :D

or do they love you because your overweight, dog tired and they dont have to play with your naughty bits because your to tired to get a boner ? :D

dont mean you personally fella but john if you get my drift.

thanks for that :o

I used to drink the king of beer in the USA. I have since decided that I can save a lot of money on hot days by putting ice in my Archa. After it is mixed about 50 percent with melted ice it tastes a LOT like Bud. I do have a little confession to make. I can't find Archa in Pattaya so when I go out with my pervert friends and really don't want to get drunk I drink Heineken. That's like drinking Chang with 60 percent water added. :D

you got to be a freaking brain surgeon gary as thats exactly what i think.

your a cracker my good man :o

GUESS THE POSTER

"All Thai Beer is Cr*p, I could not drink it if it was free. Where can I buy fresh supplies of "The King of Beers" in Los?"

Sorry no prizes for correct answers :o

Another insane persone in Khon Kaen?

As you are not a regular poster you will not have understood my gentle jibe at another "well known" TV member who, until recently, always had scathing remarks to make about Thai Beer.

As to my mental state, I probably am crazy but it is nothing to do with being in Khon Kaen, which is a wonderful place. :D

Beer Chang has a headache in every bottle. I have tried over 300 differant Brands of beer and in MHO Belhaven is the best beer in the world. Anyone that has tried anything better is welcome to send a few samples to try and change my mind.

Absolutely agree about Belhaven - drank a lot of it around Edinburgh recently. Wonderful stuff but can't say I've managed to find any in LoS, more's the pity.

DM

[ I must say that everyone I hang out with is now drinking Beer Lao and only Beer Lao. There is no going back. I only hope that Beer Lao will continue to be shipped once this one time large shipment here now (a 1st time shipment) is exhausted. I fear that it may have been a one time deal knowing how tightly controlled imports are coming into Thailand.

I was in Laos when they introduced the new or almost new Dark beer, its not bad. But I have it on good infomation that. Yes its a farrang guy in partnership with a certain Thai company, who produce this beer. Nice work if you can get it??

spot on chefy,

when i was in laos i knocked the head off many a long neck of the lovely tasting beer lao. :D

so many in fact that i nearly had to do a runner to the closest AA meeting. :D

lucky i done a bolt back to los and quiet'ned down a tad as one cant drink thai beer like that as the hangover is a shocker. :D

my point really being: dont think beer lao will be around to long in los as its to freaking good and will send the thai brewery's out of business. :o

cheers old mate :D:D:D

Beer in Thailand is bloody awful. Why can Laos make such good beer? Yet the Thai stuff is so bag. Chang, Leo its really heavy stuff. Not pleasant or refreshing.

This is my fourth year of living in Bangkok full time. Last week I had a bottle of Fosters in Gullivers, Soi 5. It wasn’t cheap and probably would have chosen something else if I was at home but the choice here is terrible. The beer was great. I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed a nice cold glass of beer.

I believe our beloved caretaker Mr. Taksin makes money on Heineken beer so if you want imported beer that’s available you will drink Heineken beer. That’s democracy Thai style.

Politicians should not be so involved in business and commerce. Governments make policies so may be inclined to make a decision based on financial interest rather than the good of the people.

tastes awful :D

crik'ys pui,

im an aussie and i think that fosters would have to be the world's worst beer. :D

tastes like somethink that a soi dog has left a little deposit in. :D

now what about a cracker dark ale like tooheys old ? :D

got to in with a chance ai'nt it ? :D

only my personnal opinion pui so dont get to dark on me will ya. :D

cheers my good man and ill have a drink to that but not frigging fosters. :D

:o:D:D

Bottom line for me is I will not drink Thai beer, period. This includes all beers brewed within Thailand. I've tried 'em all and they are lousy. I'm getting a kick out of this price war article though. I mean like the 2 breweries in the country are going to go at it toe to toe? Give me an iced cold Beer Lao please....

sorry we dont have Beer Lao

ok then, I'll have an iced tea or something, anything but a Thai brew

:o it's my birthday tomorrow and i for one will certainly not be drinking Archa beer! maybe it makes other Thai beers taste good! is that possible? one way or another i will be MAW !

Amazing..

1. not taking sites which beer is better, we have Chang accused of ripping off Carlsberg or the other way around, but using Carlsberg Draft dispensers with Chang sticker isnt smart, whom ever is right.

To be honest I like Chang, but Chang Light , Draft and whatever the other one was in bottles and MORE expensive then normal draft and tasting lousy, I suggest it gets fed to the pigs...

Thats what Thais did with lobsters in Phuket till they realised TOURISTS like them. No idea as Thai lobsters taste terrible... in comparison with the ones from other places in colder water.

2. Closing bars down at every election isnt smart either, we donot vote. At least in Egypt they say locals cannot drink in ramadan, no problems for farang. I was invited for a meeting in Cairo University in that period and they had aranged fried chicken for lunch for me and I felt ashamed to have to eat while all my friends couldnt so I made the talk less long, had a chicken pause for 15 minutes in a side room and continued...

They also have this GOOD law that if kids fall of busses /trains due to hanging on the outside (and who hasnt seen that in Thailand) driver get locked up for murder.

Architect builds house has to certify it is safe and IF it collapses, its not IF its a trip to court for signing architect...

3. Football.

I donot mind who wins, I havent even watched as its at a silly time.

However doing this in lowseason when tourists are coming from Europe in the short season they have means they will not come if they cannot get a beer AND watch it in a language they understand and telling "you donot like it, go back", means they arent coming and likely the same during similar events in the future. Including their friends.

I suppose the anti opening is to prevent Thais from being corrupted and vote the wrong way.

Simple, NO beer etc to Thais and they likely donot visit Farangbars anyway as they tend to be expensive. Thai bars likely arent checked...

And us farangs would likely never vote for any corrupt candidate anyway....

4. 7/11 in Phuket has special beer price ; 3 bottles of Chang for 105 baht (ie 5 baht discount)

Problem is you have to ask and they are very unhappy and as in the end they just run of a 5 baht discount slip, I asume they donot pay out unless you ask but run MANY 5 baht discounts all day for themselves. Anyone wants to bet against it?? Whats the last time 7/11 gave you these little stickers to put in some saving book I have never seen??

It doesnt bother me as I can get for 100 baht 5 Archa which isnt bad (I think better than The variations on chang) or 100 baht for 3 Chang.

In short if a market has a problem keep customers happy and thats something some people donot understand, Customers have the money, they can go anywhere ...

By the way have a look at IPTV on 'advanced' google and see who is there running TV channels...., radio, sms etc etc.

Its quite obvious which one it is as its ONLY in THAI.

Beer in Thailand is bloody awful. Why can Laos make such good beer? Yet the Thai stuff is so bad. Chang, Leo its really heavy stuff. Not pleasant or refreshing.

tastes awful :o

I doubt Taksin has money on Heineken but as they bought Tiger and Interbrew besides Amstel last year, likely the only way to see it is look at the label. Heineken uses an odd font for letter e. Look at Heineken and Tiger....

Interbrew likely still hides it. Now I am Dutch and The beer here is shit. Including the Dutch beer.

You live here try a German beer as its cheap and in Germany there is seemingly a rule there HAS to be a cheaper item on the menu and there is: water...

By the way USA beer is worse. Budweiser isnt even a usa beer and the Chechs likely donot want to be involved with that crap, Their 1000 year old buds tastes great!!

Beer Chang has a headache in every bottle. I have tried over 300 differant Brands of beer and in MHO Belhaven is the best beer in the world. Anyone that has tried anything better is welcome to send a few samples to try and change my mind.

Absolutely agree about Belhaven - drank a lot of it around Edinburgh recently. Wonderful stuff but can't say I've managed to find any in LoS, more's the pity.

DM

If you did it would be to expensive. Reason you get big bottles of German beer for maybe 80 baht is because local price is cheap. If England didnt taxt it before sending it out, you can compete...

Sorry, had intended to respond to another mail, but they are all about the same(g)

DM

ok, a few years ago I heard from a German that the German consumer society or whatever its name is had tested Chang, Sing and several others. Some years before they had Meakong on their list.

seemingly Chang and Sing were supposed to be dangerous, that Thai crap wisky was supposedly lethal. Any German can get the details...

I am still alive after 20 years of chang, Singa gave me stomage problems and Egyptian Stella Throat pain but their bock beer was great... it just doesnt keep unless you like bottles exploding under your bed...

[ I must say that everyone I hang out with is now drinking Beer Lao and only Beer Lao. There is no going back. I only hope that Beer Lao will continue to be shipped once this one time large shipment here now (a 1st time shipment) is exhausted. I fear that it may have been a one time deal knowing how tightly controlled imports are coming into Thailand.

I was in Laos when they introduced the new or almost new Dark beer, its not bad. But I have it on good infomation that. Yes its a farrang guy in partnership with a certain Thai company, who produce this beer. Nice work if you can get it??

spot on chefy,

when i was in laos i knocked the head off many a long neck of the lovely tasting beer lao. :D

lucky i done a bolt back to los and quiet'ned down a tad as one cant drink thai beer like that as the hangover is a shocker. :D

my point really being: dont think beer lao will be around to long in los as its to freaking good and will send the thai brewery's out of business. :o

Aa Laos is in Asean and their beer is cheap why not export it? I mean what ARE the import charges...

I asume that whomever makes it in Laos has somewhere a goverment partner...

DM

ok, a few years ago I heard from a German that the German consumer society or whatever its name is had tested Chang, Sing and several others. Some years before they had Meakong on their list.

seemingly Chang and Sing were supposed to be dangerous, that Thai crap wisky was supposedly lethal. Any German can get the details...

I am still alive after 20 years of chang, Singa gave me stomage problems and Egyptian Stella Throat pain but their bock beer was great... it just doesnt keep unless you like bottles exploding under your bed...

Chang has only been around for a few years, how do you make that 20? Shurely sum misthake.

spot on chefy,

my point really being: dont think beer lao will be around to long in los as its to freaking good and will send the thai brewery's out of business. :D

Aa Laos is in Asean and their beer is cheap why not export it? I mean what ARE the import charges...

I asume that whomever makes it in Laos has somewhere a goverment partner...

cant help you tracer as i only drink the gear and ain't to interested in the political side of things but if i can suss it out i'll let you ok.

:D:D:o

been buying archa for 25bt or less for the past 2 months..

saw some in tesco for 19bt a bottle but it wasnt there for long

problem for me seems to be that my favorite whisky is going up frequently and intermittent ly - over the past 3 months it started off at 115bt then 117bt then 125bt - bit now back down to 122bt a bottle.

beer lao doesnt have any achohol in it but it does taste nice = beer chang is an alternative laxative, beer cheers has good taste, beer sing is over priced - beer thai with ice is ok - red horse beer kicks a55 and some times goes cheap - beer leo is what most thais drink - but after all that beer chang draght is the best, in my opinion, thai beer....

Nevertheless whisky ( not 40 degrees) is better...

been buying archa for 25bt or less for the past 2 months..

saw some in tesco for 19bt a bottle but it wasnt there for long

problem for me seems to be that my favorite whisky is going up frequently and intermittent ly - over the past 3 months it started off at 115bt then 117bt then 125bt - bit now back down to 122bt a bottle.

beer lao doesnt have any achohol in it but it does taste nice = beer chang is an alternative laxative, beer cheers has good taste, beer sing is over priced - beer thai with ice is ok - red horse beer kicks a55 and some times goes cheap - beer leo is what most thais drink - but after all that beer chang draght is the best, in my opinion, thai beer....

Nevertheless whisky ( not 40 degrees) is better...

yo bob,

what whisky are you jawing on about as i'll give it a go ? :D

just getting back on to many a punters favorite tipple the mighty beer lao.

i think its got a little bit of alchohol init old mate as it put me on my back bottom a few times. :o

good thing is , the hangover ain't half as bad as the frigging thai beer. :D

Anyone know the history of Bud Beer????

Might surprise a few if they look into it

especially those they think Thai beer is so bad!

:o

Bud as in the beer of kings or that *#@* king of beers?

Check out the village of Budvar in the Czech republic to find out how proper beer is brewed!

DM

Chang has only been around for a few years, how do you make that 20? Shurely sum misthake.

That's the problem with Chang, it screws up your short and long term memory functioning, as well as giving you the mother of hangovers. :o

Anybody who keeps bottles of beer under their bed, instead of in the fridge, deserves everything they get imo. :D

Anyone know the history of Bud Beer????

Might surprise a few if they look into it

especially those they think Thai beer is so bad!

:o

Bud as in the beer of kings or that *#@* king of beers?

Check out the village of Budvar in the Czech republic to find out how proper beer is brewed!

Budvar is actually from Ceske Budejovice. The same town also produces a very nice beer named Samson. IMHO Czech beer is the best in the world. Shame I can't find it anywhere in Thailand.

Of the Thai beers my favourite would have to be Phuket Island Lager.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

geeze and I paid 100 bht for just ONE beer the other night.......wonder why Pat Pong bars charge so much??? ....must be 'special brew' ........hehehehheh........

yes ,ive hooked into some of that " special brew" in malaysia and i things for sure mate, i did'nt feel to frigging special in morning thats for sure. :D

but what a top tasting drop she was,as its 8.5 % i think :D

as for pat pong, there aint nothing special about there brews and all your paying for is a hooker to force feed it to you at an inflated price mind you. :D

but johns got a <deleted> load of green backs so he dont mind so its all good in los. :D:o:D:D:D

geeze and I paid 100 bht for just ONE beer the other night.......wonder why Pat Pong bars charge so much??? ....must be 'special brew' ........hehehehheh........

yes ,ive hooked into some of that " special brew" in malaysia and i things for sure mate, i did'nt feel to frigging special in morning thats for sure. :D

but what a top tasting drop she was,as its 8.5 % i think :D

as for pat pong, there aint nothing special about there brews and all your paying for is a hooker to force feed it to you at an inflated price mind you. :D

Funny Thing u should mention that, I live up country. I try many kind of bar, lets say for the record. 1st dont go in bars that send a girl to feed u, 2nd dont go in bars that have other attractions LDB. Go to OTOP open air, have lots of attractions not on the menu. I went with some Thai mates, 6 beer Leo, plenty of snacks, couple of nice hours for 300 Baht. Girls feeding mean at least same 900 Baht :o