Process to get divorced having 2 kids

2008bangkok

Me and the wife want to grr divorced and looking to know the process, we sont hae any assets or depts togetjer but do have 2 children which im looking for at least joint custody if not full.

Does anybody know the process to do this my soon to be ex wife thinks we can just go down to the amphur to get divorced but somehow i cannot see them sorting out custody issues there and there is now way im getting divorced without at least joint custody.

Thanks in advance

Edited by 2008bangkok

talk to a lawyer. get his advice. talk to another lawyer. even a third if you feel a conflict. right now you have 50/50 with the kids. what happens after a divorce - hummmm. you may even have to hire a private eye to get the dirt.

What i heard from a Brit expat. The children will go to the partner who can offer the kids the best future. He got his 9 year old son immediately,the court ruled that the three year old should stay with the mother until he was 7 years old and then go to the father. I think the Amphoer can sort this out as long as you are both in agreement otherwise the only other way is the court of law.

When i legalized my son ( his mother and i aren't married ) the court asked my partner whether she was willing to give up her son, she was somewhat bewildered by this, the court explained that since i had more money than her, in the event of our relationship breaking up my son would probably be given to me, if she wouldn't agree the court wouldn't legalize the child, i.e. wouldn't accept me as the legal father, she reluctantly agreed, this was the court in Surin.

You just go down to the Amphur office, you are entitled to joint custody with no payments.

Unless you sign away those rights, once signed away, you would be unlikely to ever get them back.

PS

Make sure when you get them and who is responsible for transportation for the exchange is actually specified on the divorce document. There's a space on the back of the divorce form for custody arrangements to be written in.

For example,

"Joint custody, 1st and 3rd weeks of each month with mother, 2nd and 4th weeks of each month with father, with both parents and children resident in Chaing Rai and attendance at CR high school, either parent wishing to move away from Chiang Rai to give up all custody rights."

Else she will move to the other end of the country and you will never see them again.

Lock down the residential locations for all parties else you will be sorry.

If you can't jointly agree the custody arrangements, then you have to go to court and let a judge decide.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Thanks for the advice appreciate it...

i will be going for sole custody and at the moment the soon to be ex wife is ok with that, unfortunately she is one of those that being a mother is more of a hinderence than a pleasure which is one of the reasons i asked her to move out in the first place.

Do you know if i will get some knid of documentation to say i have full custody or at least joint custody from the ampur?

Another problem i have is that i have an extension of stay based on marriage but i gather i can also get the same extension of stay based on supporting my children providing i have at least joint custody and documentation to prove it.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it...

i will be going for sole custody and at the moment the soon to be ex wife is ok with that, unfortunately she is one of those that being a mother is more of a hinderence than a pleasure which is one of the reasons i asked her to move out in the first place.

Do you know if i will get some knid of documentation to say i have full custody or at least joint custody from the ampur?

Another problem i have is that i have an extension of stay based on marriage but i gather i can also get the same extension of stay based on supporting my children providing i have at least joint custody and documentation to prove it.

I believe you need full custody to get the VISA extension.

Ask for a copy of the divorce agreement from the Amphur Office.

First off, be very careful with this term "Joint Custody" as it does not mean what you think it does. It does not mean that you have equal rights over your children as you do not.

Under Joint Custody the children are still assigned a guardian and permanent residence, which is usually with your x-wife. It is that person who has 90% say on how the children should be raised and 100% of your Child Custody Payments. Which she can decide on how and where to spend it. You are supposed to have a say in your children's education and religion, which boils down to you paying extra for their school books and uniforms. I had Joint Custody to, and I never even seen as much as one School Report Card in 8 years.

Your x-wife can invite any new man into her house and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you can prove he is abusive to your children. She can move away from you, using the pretext she is seeking a better paying job for her children, or joining her new husband. She can prevent you from having access to your children by telling you the children are asleep, when you call, or at grandmothers place, when you come to visit.

Trust me on this. With Joint Custody, all you get for sure is 100% of the Child Support Payments. You can always try to change the things you don't like, and what your x-wife shoved down your throat, but for you it means hiring a lawyer each time, and going to court. So unless you are made of money, and don't mind continuing fighting over every little thing, it is not worth it. But skip a Child Support Payment or two, and the police are at your door free of charge.

If none of this sounds fare to you, it is because it isn't fare at all to the guys with Joint Custody. It is a scam!

First off, be very careful with this term "Joint Custody" as it does not mean what you think it does. It does not mean that you have equal rights over your children as you do not.

Under Joint Custody the children are still assigned a guardian and permanent residence, which is usually with your x-wife. It is that person who has 90% say on how the children should be raised and 100% of your Child Custody Payments. Which she can decide on how and where to spend it. You are supposed to have a say in your children's education and religion, which boils down to you paying extra for their school books and uniforms. I had Joint Custody to, and I never even seen as much as one School Report Card in 8 years.

Your x-wife can invite any new man into her house and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you can prove he is abusive to your children. She can move away from you, using the pretext she is seeking a better paying job for her children, or joining her new husband. She can prevent you from having access to your children by telling you the children are asleep, when you call, or at grandmothers place, when you come to visit.

Trust me on this. With Joint Custody, all you get for sure is 100% of the Child Support Payments. You can always try to change the things you don't like, and what your x-wife shoved down your throat, but for you it means hiring a lawyer each time, and going to court. So unless you are made of money, and don't mind continuing fighting over every little thing, it is not worth it. But skip a Child Support Payment or two, and the police are at your door free of charge.

If none of this sounds fare to you, it is because it isn't fare at all to the guys with Joint Custody. It is a scam!

Cheers for the heads up, this is exactly why im gonna go for sole custody and it will be that or no divorce.

Complete and utter BS!

Hardly anyone pays their child maintenance in Thailand and the police don't give a sh_it!

Thailand is not America.

PS

If you had pinned down residence and school details as I suggested, you wouldn't have had any problems.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

For divorce Thai woman you need to agreed and offer a good deal with your ex wife. Dont make her angry or upset about things. No Asset or debt it isnt a problem. The court will see who can earn money and back ground is important.

You just go to Ampher but still need to make a record. Think about kids cost and if you need to share custody just be fair. Dont just think about how much you have to pay for kids school and living cost cause they are your blood. Okay na

Good luck

Complete and utter BS!

Hardly anyone pays their child maintenance in Thailand and the police don't give a sh_it!

Thailand is not America.

PS

If you had pinned down residence and school details as I suggested, you wouldn't have had any problems.

I have a residency and school details ans will take that along with me thats for sure