Whats It Mean ?

Gonzo the Face

Here is an article from the Nation. I can read and understand each of the words, but can some techie tell me what it means please ?

Is this to be another telephone system to compete with AIS, DTac, Orange etc.?

CAT Telecom to launch CDMA service in 51 provinces next yar

CAT Telecom Plc will kick off the Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) 2000 1x cellular service in 51 provinces in next January and will rely on the lowcost handsets to quickly nab subscribers.

CAT's chief finance officer in charge of the project, Jirayuth Rungsrithong, said Thursday that CAT would partially launch the CDMA service in October and go fully commercial in January when 1,600 CDMA base stations in 51 provinces are expected to be completely rolled out.

The Nation

??

Weird...

Hutch is currently using the CDMA 1xRTT system (as opposed to the GSM system used by all other mobile phone players)!

Hutch has only coverage in a small amount of provinces (greater Bangkok, Eastern Seaboard and a part of the Southern provinces).

I did think tough that Hutch and CAT were partners.

I don't understand why they go for the older 1xRTT technology. This is the 2.75G technololgy with data speeds up to 144 kbps.

More logically would be to install the cdma EV-DO (data only, theoretically 2.4mbps, but practically it delivers between 300 and 500kbps data speeds) or the newest cdma EV-DV (data & voive, up to 3.1 Mbps)

The CDMA EV-DO system is currently used in the States by Verizon (and Sprint I think) and I guess pretty widely in Japan as well, since the whole cdma system was developed ther (by DoCoMo)...

Weird...

Hutch is currently using the CDMA 1xRTT system (as opposed to the GSM system used by all other mobile phone players)!

Hutch has only coverage in a small amount of provinces (greater Bangkok, Eastern Seaboard and a part of the Southern provinces).

I did think tough that Hutch and CAT were partners.

I don't understand why they go for the older 1xRTT technology. This is the 2.75G technololgy with data speeds up to 144 kbps.

More logically would be to install the cdma EV-DO (data only, theoretically 2.4mbps, but practically it delivers between 300 and 500kbps data speeds) or the newest cdma EV-DV (data & voive, up to 3.1 Mbps)

The CDMA EV-DO system is currently used in the States by Verizon (and Sprint I think) and I guess pretty widely in Japan as well, since the whole cdma system was developed ther (by DoCoMo)...

Hutch started putting their system into Thailand back in 2001 (I was helping them at the time) and like all mobile systems it evolves over time, so 6 years later more advanced countries are putting in the latest equipment.

However as I answered in another thread, never mind the quality, look at the price. If it is cheap it must be good.

CDMA is a much better system for data however putting a country wide system in giving the same coverage as DTAC or AIS would involve putting up 4 or 5,000 base stations and at maybe $15,000 a site that is 75,000,000 or around nearly 3,000,000,000 baht which ain't small change.

Actually Monty CDMA was actualy invented in the USA by a company whose name has slipped my mind for the moment and I think the DoCoMo system is a little different from the US system.

When I am in Jomtien I use a friend's computer. He has Hutch and it sure isn't DSL but it is MUCH better than the GPRS AIS and DTAC that I had been using. If Hutch were available here in the boonies the Ipstar junk would be on my porch waiting for them to pick it up.

Actually Monty CDMA was actualy invented in the USA by a company whose name has slipped my mind for the moment

Qualcomm

I think the DoCoMo system is a little different from the US system.

It is, but parts of it rely on the Qualcomm patents for CDMA chipsets.