Should the US move its Cobra Gold war games out of Thailand?

webfact

Why do we need military exercises (War Games)? This is only a forum for the US to flex it's muscles and show off, and a veiled attempt to intimidate China (who is Thailand's friend).

There is no upside in this for Thailand. Death and destruction seems to follow everywhere the US goes these days. Look at the recent attacks in Canada in the last few days.

Does Thailand want to add themselves to the list of countries to be attacked? I think not.

It would be better if the US just packed up and left Thailand for good. They are trying to split the world into two opposing camps, leading up to world war three.

I don't understand why most people around the world are blind to what is going on. The US is bankrupt, morally and financially. The military industrial complex has stolen all the money, and the US has had to print dollars like there is no tomorrow, just to keep up with interest payments.

This is all going to come to an end, and the only way out for the US is a massive war, which allows them to re-set the financial clock and sweep all to their skeletons under the carpet.

The rest of the world should not let this happen, but no, they just follow along like blind sheep. You reap what you sow.

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing in it for Thailand... stay neutral and learn from the Swiss.

Yes, let others fight wars...watch from the mountains while counting gold coins.

It's called enlightened self-interest and anyone who doesn't practice it most of the time is a fool.

Countries who don't practice it all of the time let their people down.

The USA should embrace Thailands coup for what it is. A process to eliminate the massive corruption engaged in by the past Gov.

Thais are only tapping the surface of real democracy and perhaps the USA wanted a civil war here which was very near in coming with YL.

The US wanted a civil war here? OMG. BTW the last 18 coups to eliminate corruption have worked so well they needed to try again. "The USA should embrace Thailand's coup for what it is" they have and they didn't like it - you mean to say they should except it, but they don't - they tolerate it.

PS to add Thailand is like that brother in law you love but sometimes wish you could slap silly - everyone still shows up for Thanksgiving dinner.

During the last major armed conflict in Southeast Asia it was the Big Guy who got slapped silly.

• Like 1

Yes, the U.S. should not hold or participate in any more war games in Thailand. As everyone knows, one cannot post the reason why?

Why not ??? if it's constructive, if it follows the usual PM bashing not on.

Scare mongering, at it's best. Clan members please note, oppose in a normal fashion --no problems.

Cobra gold is in the interest of all the Asian countries.

Why do we need military exercises (War Games)? This is only a forum for the US to flex it's muscles and show off, and a veiled attempt to intimidate China (who is Thailand's friend).

There is no upside in this for Thailand. Death and destruction seems to follow everywhere the US goes these days. Look at the recent attacks in Canada in the last few days.

Does Thailand want to add themselves to the list of countries to be attacked? I think not.

It would be better if the US just packed up and left Thailand for good. They are trying to split the world into two opposing camps, leading up to world war three.

I don't understand why most people around the world are blind to what is going on. The US is bankrupt, morally and financially. The military industrial complex has stolen all the money, and the US has had to print dollars like there is no tomorrow, just to keep up with interest payments.

This is all going to come to an end, and the only way out for the US is a massive war, which allows them to re-set the financial clock and sweep all to their skeletons under the carpet.

The rest of the world should not let this happen, but no, they just follow along like blind sheep. You reap what you sow.

Who on earth wants to attack Thailand and inherit the scams.??

• Like 1

The USA should embrace Thailands coup for what it is. A process to eliminate the massive corruption engaged in by the past Gov.

Thais are only tapping the surface of real democracy and perhaps the USA wanted a civil war here which was very near in coming with YL.

The US wanted a civil war here? OMG. BTW the last 18 coups to eliminate corruption have worked so well they needed to try again. "The USA should embrace Thailand's coup for what it is" they have and they didn't like it - you mean to say they should except it, but they don't - they tolerate it.

PS to add Thailand is like that brother in law you love but sometimes wish you could slap silly - everyone still shows up for Thanksgiving dinner.

During the last major armed conflict in Southeast Asia it was the Big Guy who got slapped silly.

Completely unrelated - it is a simple metaphor. Once had a guy thinking I called him gay because I said he seemed to be on his knees for a cause - please.

the US needs the Thai connection for familiarity with the waterways and, to control China's western crawl towards Vietnam and the Philipines

since the US Navy calls the shots, you can ignore any talking heads in DC

HUH?? Vietnam and the PI are west of China?

the US needs the Thai connection for familiarity with the waterways and, to control China's western crawl towards Vietnam and the Philipines

Depends which way you choose to go. Sneaky these Chinese - they've spotted the world is round 5555 smile.png

• Like 1

Depends which way you choose to go. Sneaky these Chinese - they've spotted the world is round 5555 smile.png

we were talking Naval routes,

I think I had it right the first time

These types of exercises are exactly what is needed to reenforce alignment in the relatively free world.

Sometimes I just wince at the logic of misinformed individuals who say alliances, preparations, treaties, and cooperative training are not necessary. Perhaps a few hours away from facebook and TV would allow them to break out some reading material dealing with history, war, aggression and how weak, ill-prepared Nations disappear without this type of preparation.

Nobody wants war...but aggression....bombings, terrorism, anarchism and fanatical religious vendettas would have free reign in a Nation that does not prepare to counter this threat. Joint operations would be near impossible without these exercises, should the worst happen.

For those who want to absolve treaties and interactive military exercises.........here is a big slap on your wrist with a thick ruler and a dunce hat. Go to the back of the classroom.

Weakness invites war....it does not prevent it.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

If the Americans had a decent and intelligent President there would be no question of Cobra Gold being held.

Perhaps Obama is trying to impress Governments closer to his own idea of democracy - like the Chinese or the Iranians?

No world leader would skip a joint exercise like this with a strategic ally.

• Like 1

Your Atlas is different than mine, mine has Vietnam south and the Phillipines east.

Bangkok Post reported that Cobra alternates between a big one and a small one and the next one is a small one. It mentioned that those with a political agenda will try to make out it has been reduced in size as a protest against the coup.

It was quite a surprise to read that as BKP changed to be decidedly pro Pheu-Thai just as the protests started last November. I would love to know what happened in the management at that time ...

This article tells a slightly different version:

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/thailand/us-thai-officials-planning-cobra-gold-exercise-despite-may-coup-1.307643

YOKOSUKA NAVAL BASE, Japan — The United States and Thailand will scale down next year’s Cobra Gold military exercise because of the rift in relations that followed Thailand’s military coup earlier this year.

The BP and Nation have been running quite a few articles lately where the official version is quite different from the international version, especially related to interactions with other nations.

The US will treat Thailand as every powerful nation treats a military government - as a political pawn. The Junta is clearly desparate for international acceptance, especially after its humilitating rejection by the UN General Assembly for membership in the Human Rights Council that probably would have been a smal dunk under the Yingluck administration who originally applied for membership. Notice that the Obama "administration plans merely to scale Cobra Gold down." This means essentially that the Thai admirality will be allowed to observe the exercise from the bridge of an American flagship and play a little Strageo with the Tha armed forces. And since the Thai military holds control of the government's purse strings, the US may sneak in a couple military sales for the good of its own military-industrial complex.

Thank you and goodbye, the US military owns you.

• Like 2

Nonsense, ric.

The US will treat this like every odd year Cobra Gold. There will be both military and humanitarian exercises.

No weapon sales will occur.

CULP Thailand continued after the coup and is still scheduled for next year as well.

• Like 1

Your Atlas is different than mine, mine has Vietnam south and the Phillipines east.

Perhaps one of you has the flat earth atlas.

• Like 2

I, as a former 82nd paratrooper, think that they should cut these dumb games. . its not like they are learning anything from the thai military. PLUS, participating ? in a joint exercise? I think its realllllly clear that foreigners are no t allowed to participate in thai matters, foreigners can only OBSERVE and take it up the ass.

• Like 1

Completely unrelated - it is a simple metaphor. Once had a guy thinking I called him gay because I said he seemed to be on his knees for a cause - please.

No, it's not "Completely unrelated"... and the additional blarney can be dispensed with.

The Vietnam War was an ignominious defeat for the US and its "allies",

Thailand would be well advised to avoid any military involvement with a country that hasn't won a war since 1945; but is very good at starting conflicts that it can't finish.

• Like 1

after reading some comments, the scaling is true, a big one and small one. its still a ridiculously huge waste of money, since the thai military is merely milking the US tax dollars... hell, i never went to a cobra gold cause the CO(captain) told us it was a joke. (and when i was in chaing mai once i met a few in the 5 star hotel telling me it was better than a holiday.) My unit was encouraged to go to sapper school, cause im high speed low drag.

Who says america needs thailand? you mean specially for its rendition program. ... and NSA surveillance?

dumbass, its more like US needs to USE thailand.