Japanese man sets himself on fire, plunges to his death at Thaniya Plaza in Bangkok

webfact

Tragic, but very selfish of him, not just the suicide but the manner of it. There are quieter and more considerate ways to go into the night.

I also agree.....You want end it all that's fine, but do it in a way where it wouldn't effect innocent people!....But then again suicide is nothing more than a selfish act!

Sorry, but I really cringe at throwaway, default comments tending toward selfishness or cowardice on the issue of suicide, which are typically made by people looking at things from their own perfect, rosy perspective. It is not nothing more than a selfish act since you did not know his state of mind or status.
While I agree that it may be selfish in the manner in which he did this -- in view of people -- or for taking away the privilege of others having time with him again, he is not selfish for removing himself from intense anguish.
But, guess what, we're all selfishness anyway. All animals are selfish creatures, period, even plants... about the only unselfish thing is swarming insects.
I hope he is finding solace in the quantum world.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freely and voluntarily chosen?

There are at least 8 million ways to die.

Why do his family and loved ones deserve anything but blame for failing to represent a compelling reason for him to suffer on?

Three questions: Why, in your mind, is his family to blame for letting a grown man live his life? You have no idea what his family situation is/was like; he may have rejected them long ago, as far as you know. Judgmental, much? Why should his suffering continue on when he has clearly demonstrated that, for him, a fiery death is better than life?

Any traumatised witnesses are victims of Society's Dark Ages perspective on free will and individual liberty.

I don't know where you got that line but most normal folks would call that claptrap i.e. absurd or nonsensical talk or ideas.

The argument could be made that, at least technically, the victims are yours

What are you going on about? Obtuse, much?

You can reply, Scooter, my boy, but I won't be able to read it as I block your sort of posts. I responded this once because of good manners.

I thank you for your gracious manners, but to whom are you asking questions if you intend to block my reply?

That is the way of thinking that lies at the crux of this issue.

Humans are prevented from freely and voluntarily exiting with dignity. This gentleman was not given the option to freely and voluntarily choose.

If our families and friends aren't able to convince us to remain in the game, clearly there are some issues with the standard of their play.

All traumatised victims resulting from suicide in Society are the victims of Society, not the victim forced to exit in traumatic circumstances.

As a member of a Society that prevents humans from dignified and humane exit, the argument could be made that the victims of trauma are yours.