CCTV cameras - police state ?

Time Traveller

Is it just me or does anyone esle feell that places with CCTV cameras installed everywhere feel less safe than the places without them?

I know many people (probably those whose income comes from installing CCTV) promote these as adding security. But from a personal feeling of security it feels like it has the opposite effect based on everywhere I have lived. Now Bangkok is following the same approach as those other cities free of street crime like London.

Cameras in the UK have not stopped street crime or have helped as much as anticipated in identifying and catching criminals. They also seem to mysteriously "out of action" when evidence is required. It does mean, of course, that you can have less people patrolling the street as they are sat in front of a bank of cameras.

They have not delivered what was expected.

• Like 2

If you have done nothing wrong, or you don't intend to do anything wrong in the future, you have nothing to fear of the CCTV cameras or feel intimidated by them.

But do you feel any safer knowing on your local street there are CCTV cameras? I'm suggesting it is intimidaating because the state is indirectly sending a message that the people in this area can not be trusted.

Ask any Londoner do they feel any safer because of CCTV. I lived in places with and without secruity cameras installed on the streets and just saying I felt safer for my own and my family's personal safety in the places without street cameras.

Edited by Time Traveller

Cameras in the UK have not stopped street crime or have helped as much as anticipated in identifying and catching criminals. They also seem to mysteriously "out of action" when evidence is required. It does mean, of course, that you can have less people patrolling the street as they are sat in front of a bank of cameras.

They have not delivered what was expected.

Of course cameras don't stop crime, that is also not the intention of them, but they help with identifying the suspects.

Now wait until a new crime is reported and the report says that no CCTV was installed in that area, and watch the same posters come out of the woodwork that now condemn CCTV.

• Like 1

If you have done nothing wrong, or you don't intend to do anything wrong in the future, you have nothing to fear of the CCTV cameras or feel intimidated by them.

But do you feel any safer knowing on your local street there are CCTV cameras? I'm suggesting it is intimidaating because the state is indirectly sending a message that the people in this area can not be trusted.

Ask any Londoner do they feel any safer because of CCTV. I lived in places with and without secruity cameras installed on the streets and just saying I felt safer for my own and my family's personal safety in the places without street cameras.

May be I wouldn't feel safer but at least I would know that if I'm attacked or my house is broken in then it would be a chance that the police will catch the perpetrators.

Also it is a deterrent for the criminals who intend to do these acts.

Don't know what the Londoners say, but I would like to see more CCTV cameras installed around in Thailand.

May be I wouldn't feel safer but at least I would know that if I'm attacked or my house is broken in then it would be a chance that the police will catch the perpetrators.

Don't know what the Londoners say, but I would like to see more CCTV cameras installed around in Thailand.

Unfortunately they are not even good at ID'ing peoople, as the Koh Tao murder investigation has shown.....sad that people make justifications for the police state.

Edited by Time Traveller

Of course cameras don't stop crime, that is also not the intention of them, but they help with identifying the suspects.

Perfect for those in the CCTV industry.....as long as crime stays up then cameras will always be in demand.

Are you by any chance a member of the TV conspiracy brigade that was also very active in the Koh Tao threads.

Oops, if there had been a CCTV at the actual crime scene.

Unfortunately they are not even good at ID'ing peoople, as the Koh Tao murder investigation has shown.....sad that people make justifications for the police state.

May be sad for you and sad for the criminals but not for the law abiding people that live in this country.

• Like 2

May be sad for you and sad for the criminals but not for the law abiding people that live in this country.

I would like to see less crime. The fact - and statistics have shown - that what reduces crime is increased visible police presence. Unfortunately, people like you incorrectly deduce that police can be replaced by cameras and make everyone safer.

If cameras were a true crime deterrant, then they would never capture any crime, since criminals wouldn't comit crime near them. However, the reality is crime still happens right in front of cameras. So they are of no use in stopping crime.

Having CCTV cams are good.

It will not stop crime 100%, but will at least deter the amateur and help authorities to identify criminals.

Nothing is 100% fool-proof - but having cams are better than not.

Just my 2 cents.

There are Cameras in the UK with instantaneously face recognition. If you are wanted and happen to walk past them an automatic signal is sent to the local police, Talk about big brother, along with vehicle automatic recognition for outstanding crimes or unpaid fines. and arrest warrants.

I would like to see less crime. The fact - and statistics have shown - that what reduces crime is increased visible police presence. Unfortunately, people like you incorrectly deduce that police can be replaced by cameras and make everyone safer.

If cameras were a true crime deterrant, then they would never capture any crime, since criminals wouldn't comit crime near them. However, the reality is crime still happens right in front of cameras. So they are of no use in stopping crime.

Straw man.

A deterrent reduces something not eliminates it.

Edit --

Pardon, fallacy of exaggerations. (exaggerated results)

Edited by jdinasia

Having served 25 years in policing, I agree with Costas2008 100% regarding the role of CCTV cameras. Those who whinge about police states, breach of civil rights, big brother spying etc etc are the same ones who are quick to condemn governments and Police Forces for a lack of action when crime increases. In most major cities, fit, trained police officers do not sit watching the CCTV screens instead of patrolling the streets. Those who think otherwise are watching too much TV. That role is performed by civilians or police who have been injured and bound to office duties. Fact is, police cannot be everywhere at the same time and some areas do have higher crime incidence than others and CCTVs role is to provide the 24 hour constant coverage that resource stretched police forces cannot. Its a worldwide fact that the use of CCTV cameras in city areas has had a significant impact on malicious damage, vehicle theft, assaults and robberies, many of which are alcohol related and is why you will often see a larger concentration of cameras in the vicinity of licensed premises. They are not to be used alone as a crime reduction strategy, but combined with police presence, they not only act as a deterrent to criminals but provide assistance for investigators in identification and time scale analysis ie. when did the crime occur? The Ko Tao murders and the murdered girl in London park are recent examples of CCTV cameras assisting in identification of suspects and helping to narrow down the times between which a crime was commited. To assume that because an area has CCTV cameras it is unsafe or their will not be police patrols is incorrect. The criminals of this world hate being watched, If you are a law abiding person with nothing to hide, the ones who may be watching via CCTV are, despite what the paranoid amongst us would have us believe, watching us for our own safety. The main reason I doubt that Thailand will install more CCTVs is that they may just reveal too many secrets of the boys in brown.

• Like 1

I don't follow your logic. Are you saying that the police should take away the CCTV cameras in high crime areas so that you will feel safer walking there? The reason you feel safer in areas without cameras is because they are statistically low crime areas to start with. Despite what the cynics think. the powers that be do not throw darts at a city map when deciding where to install CCTV cameras....

Nothing surprising about pay tax on internet earned in a bank account, this even happens in the UK on interest baring accounts, this not uniquely a Thai thing

Have an interest bearing account in the UK and they will do the same, where your paying your income is irrelevant in this case

And of course when you signed up for this the T&C,s of account will have stated this

Its not a police state its a Military Junta state

I come from London and the Cameras were originally installed around the "Ring of Steel" for guess what ? Terrorism, since then they have multiplied across the country, So be careful all you pro anti terrorist law types , once you open the door you cannot close it

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10298;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

To be fair mate that is nonsense , why don't we all we all wear tracking devices as well , what harm could it do

I looked it up for you.Please let me know if you want me to google something else.biggrin.png

de·ter·rent
dəˈtərənt/
noun
noun: deterrent; plural noun: deterrents
  1. 1.
    a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something.
    synonyms: disincentive, discouragement, damper, curb, check, restraint; More
    "the high rate of interest is a deterrent to first-time home buyers"
    antonyms: incentive
    • a nuclear weapon or weapons system regarded as deterring an enemy from attack.
adjective
adjective: deterrent
  1. 1.
    able or intended to deter.
    "the deterrent effect of heavy prison sentences"
    de·ter
    dəˈtər/
    verb
    verb: deter; 3rd person present: deters; past tense: deterred; past participle: deterred; gerund or present participle: deterring
    discourage (someone) from doing something, typically by instilling doubt or fear of the consequences.
    "only a health problem would deter him from seeking re-election"
    synonyms: discourage, dissuade, put off, scare off; More
    "the high cost deterred many"
    antonyms: encourage
    prevent the occurrence of.
    "strategists think not only about how to deter war, but about how war might occur"
    synonyms: prevent, stop, avert, fend off, stave off, ward off, block, halt, check