Atm ate my bank book

On trying to update my passbook at a bank in Paragon it said magnetic strip error.

No problem

When trying to retun my book it came out crooked and jammed.

I tried to pull it out but then the machine pulled it in.

I waited a while (several customers) see if it would come out but it didn't.

I contacted the bank after 2 days and the lady told me she checks the machine every day and no passbook.

She said I must go to the police station to file a report about my lost passbook.

Lol

I see no need to replace my passbook. Not worth a trip to the police station.

Maybe wait a month and try again.

Maybe it was inside someone's desk and the bank will realize soon.

But I withdrew most the money already for safety.

You have to go to the Police to report the loss of your bank book , they will give you a document , take it to the bank and they will give you another one. guess what it will cost you the Thai police will want about 1000baht.

Seriously. 1000 baht.

I am hoping the bank will admit their machine took the book.

Any advantage to going to the police to get the form or just use my atm card and withdraw all the money, close the and account open a new account?

I am lazy to take taxi to go to the police, especially if they have a large fee.

You have to go to the Police to report the loss of your bank book , they will give you a document , take it to the bank and they will give you another one. guess what it will cost you the Thai police will want about 1000baht.

Seriously. 1000 baht.

Any advantage to going to the police to get the form or just use my atm card and withdraw all the money, close the and account open a new account?

I am lazy to take taxi to go to the police, especially if they have a large fee.

yes afraid true, the wife lost hers we had to got to the local police station, Its normally about 20/30 baht, but because i am a hansom western man, falang it cost more for her.

I have made three police reports. They cost me zero, twenty and zero bht in that order.

• Like 2

I would expect a small fee.

I didn't loose my book. The passbook got stuck bring returned and it pulled the book back inside.

Maybe good if I find my local police station.

They said need to go to police station and then to the branch I opened the account.

"...police will want about 1000baht."

Nonsense.

• Like 2

Seriously. 1000 baht.

"I am lazy to take taxi to go to the police, especially if they have a large fee."

There is no fee.

This happened to me twice in the past 10m years.

Both time I contacted the staff in the bank and someone would come with the key to open the update machine and give me back my book.

Note: Always use the update machine only if the bank is open so the staff can help you in case the bank book get stuck inside.

• Like 2

The bank was closed for about 30 minutes when it happened.

I waited 2:days before going to the bank. Maybe mistake. This machine did updates and also gave cash.

Is it worth my effort to go to the police station and my original branch to get a passbook?

Maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite, but I would never place my bank book into any machine for an update. I'm sure it is a simple straightforward operation but I have found, over time, that machines don't particularly like me!

Any time I need this done I just go into any branch of my bank and have the staff update it for me.

I took my book in to get it updated (prior to doing retirement extension) at the main branch, and the young lady took it and walked back to the machine and updated it there. Oh well, saved me queuing and I enjoyed walking behind her, you may be a Luddite but she thinks I am dumb! :D

My Bangkok bank book tends to attract the bar code error each time I update it. The security guard at the branch came over and recognised the problem and pushed the bottom of the book downwards towards the bar code reader, and it worked. Now I do likewise and it works every time.

My Bangkok bank book always seems to attract a 'bar code error'. The first time it occurred, the Security Guard came over, recognised the problem and pushed the bottom of the book downwards towards the bar code reader. It worked and now I do it my self when the same error message shows.

No the police will not want 1000 THB, at least not at Lumpini Police Station.

I paid 100 baht to get the Police report required to get a replacement book after a Kasikorn bank machine jammed with my book in.

Took 5 mins.

I spent longer than that chatting to the 2 British Police officers (one obviously a very senior old hand and the other a new recruit over from the UK).

The older chap suggested that a 100 baht would speed things up.

Edited by seancbk

Seriously. 1000 baht.

"I am lazy to take taxi to go to the police, especially if they have a large fee."

There is no fee.

You only really need the book if you lose your card.

When my book was retained I didn't report it to the bank or the Police for about 9 months, after I left my card in a machine one night and discovered the bank wouldn't give me a new one without the book.

• Like 1

Did you try telling the bank the machine took your bank book?

I should scan my bank books and atm cards and credit cards in case of problems.

Do the police station have people that speak good English or should I bring a friend?

Seriously. 1000 baht.

yes afraid true, the wife lost hers we had to got to the local police station, Its normally about 20/30 baht, but because i am a hansom western man, falang it cost more for her.

Moral of the story here is don't go with your wife! Everywhere you go in the world there are two prices - local prices and tourist prices!

I did not consider the possibility of the machine taking my passbook and the bank denying it.

I did leave my passport in my pants one time when I came back to visit my Mom in America.

She wanted to be helpful and washed my clothes while I slept from jetlag.

I used that passport for 2 more years but got strange looks every time immigration saw it.

I think it still swiped.

I didn't trust banks when I came to Thailand and have accounts and credit cards at different banks. Maybe good.

Maximum 150,000 baht in any bank.

Arguing with the bank clerk usually works.

"I want a new bank book AND I WANT IT NOW!"

They usually give in to avoid awkward and public confrontations.

Option 2, open a new account.

"OK. I file police report like you ask. You give me 1000B to give to police for report, ok? No? Then you give me new bankbook".

Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat,...

Their machine. Their fault. If it's in the ATM, then there's really no theft OR "loss" involved, so no need for police report. Smile, but persist. You can always ask to see the manager.

Maybe there's no record of the passbook in the machine, because the machine never read the mag strip or failed to recognized it. (Or whoever examined the machine found the damaged passbook, knew it'd just be trouble, and trashed it. Lol. TIT. Actually, I think I read somewhere that the company that actually owns & operates the ATMs, even the ones right outside bank branches, is not the bank. Maybe the servicer just didn't want to be in the position of having to admit to the bank that the machine ate a passbook, didn't know what to do with it, whatever...)

My Krung Thai went through our washing machine and the bank said that i had to report it to the police also ( and would probably have to pay for a report) .I couldn't understand this as it wasn't missing ( I actually had the shredded/soggy remains with me). Eventually, i just never bothered, i just check online for the updates and keep the receipts that the ADM gives me.

• Like 1

Rubbish,you guess wrong,take a zero off and 1/2 it.

Comforting to know I am not the only person with this unusual problem.

I did think maybe an outside company serviced all the machines in an area.

This is why I waited a couple days for the process. I though about going to my original branch and asking if it has been recovered.

When a book is fill they punch holes in it and issue a new book.

Seems nothing stopping them, other than policy, from issuing a new book.

What is the purpose of the police report?

Could the passbook be used for anything illegal.?

Do I need my account number?