Bicycle lanes welcome, but misuse must be prevented: Thai politics

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Bicycle lanes welcome, but misuse must be prevented

Supon Thanukid

BANGKOK: -- In recent years, bicycling has become a popular mode of exercise for many health-conscious people in Thailand. More and more people, young and old from all walks of life, ride in Bangkok and the provinces.

Special bicycle tracks and lanes have been built at different locations, such as the 23km-long green-tarmac track that circumnavigates Suvarnabhumi Airport.

It has become a common sight for motorists to see groups of cyclists - both amateurs and professionals - ride along Bangkok roads in small groups, mostly at night when the traffic is lighter and the weather is more pleasant.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha appears to be well aware of this increasingly popular trend. He expressed support for the construction of bicycle lanes around the country, during his recent weekly TV programme "Returning Happiness to People in the Country". Prayut said that it was his government's policy to encourage people to use bicycles.

"We want to promote greater use of bicycles and we want to make sure that cyclists get more convenience and safety," he said.

The prime minister said he had instructed the Transport Ministry to work with other government agencies in building bike lanes and expanding their coverage around the country. He said cycling could help Thailand save on energy use and lower pollution.

In fact, the campaign for more bicycle use and more bike lanes has continued for a long time. A lack of safe bicycle routes is the key obstacle preventing more people from commuting on bikes.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhum-bhand Paribatra, during his election campaign, promised to build more bike lanes and other amenities for bikers. However, much of what he promised has yet to materialise.

But given the prime minister's instruction, the relevant agencies are expected to expedite their work in relation to bicycle routes.

Prayut also said that he would like to see small shops selling local products set up along bike routes in communities so that cyclists could stop and shop and talk to one another.

The plan for more bike lanes is good news for cyclists all over the country. Cycling groups have welcomed Prayut's announcement, saying that such a plan is long overdue.

We just hope that more safe bike lanes will be built and they will not be encroached on by motorcyclists and street vendors. That is, sadly, the case for the 12km-long bike lanes along both sides of the wide Pradit Manutham Rd, located along the Art Narong-Ram-Indra expressway.

The bike route was popular among cyclists when it opened more than 10 years ago. But now it is used by many motorcyclists, and street vendors have set up shops on a part of the route.

Some cyclists using the route have also complained about its uneven surface - the result of home driveways being constructed along the route.

In order to "return happiness" to cyclists, the prime minister should make sure that not only new bike lanes are built but measures are introduced to protect the routes from misuse. Without such measures, the old problem will happen again, and the result will be a waste of state funds.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Bicycle-lanes-welcome-but-misuse-must-be-prevented-30246162.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-24

Cameras same one they use for bus lane infringement in the UK one picture and 1000 baht after a few fines people will learn but being caught and handing over 100 Baht to a corrupt police man wont teach anyone to stay of the cycle lanes and imagine the cash coming in from all the motorbikes during the rush hour easy money to purchase more cameras and make new cycle lanes, and all done automatically.

• Like 2

" Misuse must be prevented . " Oh Really ? !

It will simply join the VERY long list of ' Must Be's ' that never go anywhere.

Yeah when I read these Nation articles after the latest tragedy about an intercity bus crashing, an advertising hoarding collapsing on some innocents head, some chemical leak from a factory into a river etc. etc, and the old " the authorities must act" the rest of the article turns into a Charlie Brown Teacher-like drone...

• Like 2

This is such a stupid idea , put forward by none other than General P.M. Prayuth that one can't believe it isn't a joke being played out on fellow inmates at the asylum , a complete waste of time , money and encourages people to take part in a government death ride by choice.bah.gif

• Like 1

The PM would like to see small shops selling local products set up along the bike routes so the cyclists could stop and shop and talk to one another?

So backed up bike lanes and future encroachments on the paths? You think bikers will lug around shopping bags? What was the purpose of these bike lanes again? Exercise and green transport or a smaller version of Bangkok car traffic and nightmare street markets?

Thailand's proposed new governmental initiative: Think first, then speak.

Edited by tomyummer
  • Like 2

You have to start somewhere or it will never get done and this is a good start.

The problems sound like the same ones that are brought up whenever anyone in the US suggests more bike lanes. If bike lanes can work in New York City, and they do, there's no reason why they can't work in Thailand.

I've ridden close to 100,000 kms on Thai roads. Those of you who think it's dangerous just haven't spent enough time cycling. Riding in Thailand is safer than in most western countries.

thumbsup.gif

Never been in chanthaburi? the have a really great and new road/bicycle road there...better then most off road in europe.. searching on google and you wil see

Cameras same one they use for bus lane infringement in the UK one picture and 1000 baht after a few fines people will learn but being caught and handing over 100 Baht to a corrupt police man wont teach anyone to stay of the cycle lanes and imagine the cash coming in from all the motorbikes during the rush hour easy money to purchase more cameras and make new cycle lanes, and all done automatically.

• Like 2

I hope they can create a safer bicycle environment over time.

I have been lucky around Chiang Mai but a lot of close ones over the years and for the most part I try to ride rural roads and trails.

I wonder how people think Thailand is so safe for cycling when the country is rated 2nd or 3rd most dangerous in the world for driving.

Bicyclists are on the same infrastructure for the most part.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/the-most-dangerous-countries-to-drive-in-20140221-335yt.html

• Like 1

Every time I read the news in this forum as there is always a minimum of 1-2-3 +++ idiots will always commenting negatively, thailand like all other countries must at some point start one place, one country is not perfect overnight, I'm quite sure all the western nanny state their paradises were not very prosperous country for 50-60 +++ years ago .............. in 1904 argentina fourth richest country in the world, now they are on par with greece might like financially, maybe it is thailand is very wealthy in the future, including the entire western europe / usa the big losers .....

should not look far ignore that Islam and Muslims coming to dominate in Europe in the future, just look how little control the police in england and sweden have on these terrorists.

You have to start somewhere or it will never get done and this is a good start.

The problems sound like the same ones that are brought up whenever anyone in the US suggests more bike lanes. If bike lanes can work in New York City, and they do, there's no reason why they can't work in Thailand.

I've ridden close to 100,000 kms on Thai roads. Those of you who think it's dangerous just haven't spent enough time cycling. Riding in Thailand is safer than in most western countries.

Excuse me; I do cycle about 15,000 kilometers each year in Thailand since seven years; so about as u did .

But u cannot write : " Riding in Thailand is safer than in most western countries " ;

It's not safer; one example in so many...

When I arrive close the entrance of a supermarket I always must ride in the middle of the first left lane and not in the lane of the two wheels..

Why I do like that ?

because drivers of cars or motorbike will pass me 10 meters before that entrance and cut in front of me; If I don't have good brakes....mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gifmad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

So I do what I have to do, obstruct the lane to prevent they pass me .

The same for the entrance or exit of a gasoline station .

A pedestrian or a cycle man/woman,baby is nothing here and they ( thai people ) say they are bouddhits ...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

bangkok will be like Dubai in 2030, I am quite sure, even now there are multiple 5 star hotel in Bangkok than there are in my home country, so much luxury shopping centers which siam paragon etc etc, to now they build the third largest skyscraper in the world in bangkok 125 floor higher than anything in the whole europe.

people constantly talking shit about Thailand and Bangkok, but in the future will be the reverse, wait 20-30 years when all welfare countries in Europe can not continue to give money to lazy people who do not want to work, countries are going to go on an economic blow , then there will be inversely Thais come to us for the holiday. hahahclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

and motorbikes going the wrong way on major four lane roads, and stopping motorcycle taxis from building concrete ramps to allow them to easier mount the pavement, and taxis and cars parking and blocking lanes 1 and 2, and buses stopping on main roads for half an hour for a rest, and buses stopping on lane 2 because they cant be bother pulling over. The list is endless. It seams to me that any government should enforce the current rules first before adding a further complexity to the roads. You must be crazy to cycle on main roads in Thailand, a land where right of way is determined by the size of your vehicle

They have done such a bang up job keeping motorcycles off of sidewalks, I'm sure this will be no problem....

• Like 1

Did you know that that the left side on part of Sukhumvit pathway actually has a dedicated bicycle lane?

Yes I kow, it is hard to see it and navigate because of all the motobikes, vendors and pieces fo crap littering the lane. Start clearing the bicycle lanes that are already here and enforcing the law first before coming up with new ones.

Did you know that that the left side on part of Sukhumvit pathway actually has a dedicated bicycle lane?

Yes I kow, it is hard to see it and navigate because of all the motobikes, vendors and pieces fo crap littering the lane. Start clearing the bicycle lanes that are already here and enforcing the law first before coming up with new ones.

That's not a bike lane! its another joke! just a green line painted on the foot path that disappears from time to time. In what civilized country are you allowed to ride on a footpath? I couldn't even do that for 100 meters in front of my building in NY or I would risk getting a $200 fine from the police even though the sidewalk was empty.

• Like 1

That's not a bike lane! its another joke! just a green line painted on the foot path that disappears from time to time. In what civilized country are you allowed to ride on a footpath? I couldn't even do that for 100 meters in front of my building in NY or I would risk getting a $200 fine from the police even though the sidewalk was empty.

There is a proper bike lane between Thonhlor and Phrom Phong. Its has a bike painted in it and is in the middle of the pavement.

Work out that the rest of the pavement is full of trees and pot plants on the road side and food stalls to the inside, it soon becomes clear that pedestrians have no right of way along that stretch at all.

There is a proper bike lane between Thonhlor and Phrom Phong. Its has a bike painted in it and is in the middle of the pavement.

Work out that the rest of the pavement is full of trees and pot plants on the road side and food stalls to the inside, it soon becomes clear that pedestrians have no right of way along that stretch at all.

That's exactly why its not a proper bike lane. A proper bike lane does not exist on a foot path and wind its way all over the place around telephone poles and other obstacles. That "lane" is a sick joke.

• Like 1

"In order to "return happiness" to cyclists, the prime minister should make sure that not only new bike lanes are built but measures are introduced to protect the routes from misuse"

Not sure about BKK, but in Chiang Mai there are numerous lanes marked with a bicycle insignia designating them for bicycles. That is if you can see the insignias with all the tuk tuks and cars using them for parking. When these lanes are open, motor bikes, tuk tuk, autos, etc. drive in them.

The chance of protecting the routes from misuse are between Slim and none, and I heard Slim just left Thailand for good.giggle.gif

In Chiang Mai, there also needs to be "Return of Happiness" for pedestrians, who are constantly endangered when having to walk in the roadway because of motorbikes and vehicles parked on the sidewalks.

I'd suggest that a "Pedestrian Endangerment Fine" is past due for implementation. The fine should be at least B2000,...and the billions collected could be used to build bike paths.

• Like 2