Just got my non-immigration b visa! Now what?

The company I will work for has already started the Work Permit application since that is how I got my approval letter. So basically, my goal now is to get that work permit. But I do not know what comes with doing so. It will be a 1 year work permit with extensions possible after each year. What else do I have to do now? Will the company take care of everything? Do I still have to do border runs or something? Any more fees I have to pay? Anywhere I can read about this?

Thank you!

Or if you or your employer do not meet the criteriae for a one year extension of stay based on working in the Kingdom of Thailand, then you would need to make a visa run to Penang with your WP, having 8 months or more remaining validity, then apply for a one year multiple entry non immigrant 'b' visa, which requires you to make border runs at least every 90 days.

Normally the WP will be for one year, but some contracts/required associated professional body memberships do not run for the year and thus the WP validly period may be shorter.

So during the last 30 days of my 90 visa, I get my work permit and I go with the required documents to get a 1 year extension. Am I allowed to go to any immigration office? I will work in Chiang Mai. Is the work permit harder to get than the non-b visa? I am a bit worried since it only gives me 30 days to obtain that visa, if I do not get it, then I have to get my non-b visa again.

But after I pay and get my extension and all goes well, that's it? I am done? No more piles of paperwork for 1 year or other visa runs or trips to the office? 555 I doubt it.

So during the last 30 days of my 90 visa, I get my work permit and I go with the required documents to get a 1 year extension. Am I allowed to go to any immigration office? I will work in Chiang Mai. Is the work permit harder to get than the non-b visa? I am a bit worried since it only gives me 30 days to obtain that visa, if I do not get it, then I have to get my non-b visa again.

But after I pay and get my extension and all goes well, that's it? I am done? No more piles of paperwork for 1 year or other visa runs or trips to the office? 555 I doubt it.

You should be able to pick up your WP as soon as it's issued, once labour have proof you have entered Thailand and got the 90 day non 'b' entry stamp in your passport.

Should be quick as you cannot legally start work until you have the WP physically in your hands.

You must apply fro an extension of stay at the Immigration department in the area where you are employed.

If you get an extension then you would still need to report your address to immigration every 90 days.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Since you already have approval of you work permit application you should be able to get it shortly after you returned from getting the non-b visa.

If the company can get all the required documents you should be able to get the extension of stay on the same day applied or at least a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Requirement for the extension is here in clause 2.1. Immigration Bureau Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay and Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 documents for extension of stay

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You should be able to pick up your WP as soon as it's issued, once labour have proof you have entered Thailand and got the 90 day non 'b' entry stamp in your passport.

Should be quick as you cannot legally start work until you have the WP physically in your hands.

You must apply fro an extension of stay at the Immigration department in the area where you are employed.

If you get an extension then you would still need to report your address to immigration every 90 days.

Since you already have approval of you work permit application you should be able to get it shortly after you returned from getting the non-b visa.

If the company can get all the required documents you should be able to get the extension of stay on the same day applied or at least a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Requirement for the extension is here in clause 2.1. Immigration Bureau Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay and Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 documents for extension of stay

Thanks guys, that really clears things up and is extremely helpful!