Thais view pollution as greatest threat to world

webfact

Thailand view pollution as greatest threat to world

BANGKOK, 24 October 2014 (NNT) - According to the latest survey, the majority of Thais are most concerned over the growing pollution and other threats to the environment.

Major think-tank Pew Research Center has conducted a survey in 44 countries on which of the five dangers is considered the greatest threat to the world. After surveying more than 48,000 people, the group found that the answers vary depending on where they live.

Many in the Middle East said religious and ethnic hatred was the greatest threat, while Europeans tended to choose inequality. Africans are more concerned with AIDS and other infectious diseases and other countries chose the spread of nuclear weapons or pollution and environmental problems as the top danger.

In Thailand, 36 percent of respondents view pollution as the greatest threat and 29 percent identified the gap between rich and poor. The third biggest threat is AIDS and other infectious diseases.

The geographical clustering shows that countries’choices often reflect regional concerns as well as internal problems.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-24 footer_n.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said why do the Thai's in general treat their environment with total contempt?

The traffic in Bangkok alone with its antiquated corrupt ridden traffic control system cause horrendous pollution each day.

Update and implement a cheap efficient traffic control and public transport system, educate and control the drivers of both commercial and private vehicles to use the roads correctly and those two measure will reduce pollution as well as the import costs for fuel as a separate bonus.

Yes in days gone by and even now in certain instances goods, products etc were often packed in leaves or other natural materials thus the throwing down of those materials was in the long term beneficial as they were returned to the soil, no problems.

There should in fact there must be a tax on plastic and other non bio degradable packaging materials.

We recycle all of the plastic, paper, cans etc that we amass due to modern packaging methods which when those containers are full we sell the contents to the recycling centre.

Not difficult to help the environment, and as a bonus one may collect a small financial reward for ones endeavors.

• Like 1

"...the majority of Thais are most concerned over the growing pollution and other threats to the environment...36 percent of respondents view pollution as the greatest threat...

If their ability to gauge pollution is anywhere near their ability to understand that 39 percent in not a majority, they have a long way to go. I constantly see people throwing plastic bags full of garbage from their cars and motorbikes. Finish a sugary drink...Just drop the plastic bottle in the street. The only time I perceive Thailand as having a low level of pollution and being clean is when I return from a trip to China or Cambodia.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

the majority of Thais are most concerned over the growing pollution and other threats to the environment...36 percent of respondents view pollution as the greatest threat

Have you noticed Thai majorities are NEVER majorities.

• Like 1

This must be a coincidence.I have a large paddy field behind my house and there were people out there this morning spraying some sort of chemical.My wife said to close all the doors and windows I asked why.Her answer was they were spraying to kill the birds,stop them eating the rice.I have lived here 12 years and never knew this,apparently it is very common.She told me she has been sick before from this spraying.I wasn't surprised about just finding out as I am used to the lack of information forthcoming from almost every Thai.I would like to know what they are spraying,if it kills the birds it must be harmful to humans.

To me it seems to counteract their concern about pollution.

• Like 2

This must be a coincidence.I have a large paddy field behind my house and there were people out there this morning spraying some sort of chemical.My wife said to close all the doors and windows I asked why.Her answer was they were spraying to kill the birds,stop them eating the rice.I have lived here 12 years and never knew this,apparently it is very common.She told me she has been sick before from this spraying.I wasn't surprised about just finding out as I am used to the lack of information forthcoming from almost every Thai.I would like to know what they are spraying,if it kills the birds it must be harmful to humans.

Many a worker is laying on a bamboo table either at home OR at the farm if many were in the actual field weeding, tending the birds would not be present.

simple things like a white plastic bag tied to a bamboo every 10 meters would deter birds. Also birds eat other pests that eat rice, but Thai have to blame something not themselves, so they spray to kill everything-even to poison themselves.

• Like 1

So why do they continue to throw things out of their car windows, dump crap in the klongs, pour cooking oil into the drains.....etc

That are just the minor things, there are much worse....

Everything is MINOR ?? until you put the whole caboosh together.

• Like 2

Many a worker is laying on a bamboo table either at home OR at the farm if many were in the actual field weeding, tending the birds would not be present.

simple things like a white plastic bag tied to a bamboo every 10 meters would deter birds. Also birds eat other pests that eat rice, but Thai have to blame something not themselves, so they spray to kill everything-even to poison themselves.

They do the planting and harvesting by machine,it's not labour intensive and I think they average about 4 crops a year.

They do the planting and harvesting by machine,it's not labour intensive and I think they average about 4 crops a year.

Who do ??

Most still go out on the M/Cycle with mother- and machine plow/buffalo- on their football size land. The minority are big deal farmers with tractors-reapers etc.

To my Issan area, it IS labour intensive, 2 crops a year. different people -same country.

So why do they continue to throw things out of their car windows, dump crap in the klongs, pour cooking oil into the drains.....etc

As the article states, only 36% of respondents considered pollution to be the greatest threat. Those Thais who continue to throw things out of their car window would be among the other 64%. Got it? wink.png

• Like 1

In the almost 15 years I have lived here, I have never ever seen machines planting or harvesting rice. NEVER.

Big industrial farms, yes, but not the mom, pop and family farms.

• Like 1

In the almost 15 years I have lived here, I have never ever seen machines planting or harvesting rice. NEVER.

In the north it's pretty much all harvested by combine now. A lot is still planted by hand though.

WhizBang post # 22.

Certainly in our village in Ampur Sangkha in Surin the greater majority of rice is harvested by machine as even the small farms unite and in comes the contractor to do the job.Note that the contractor is from our village.

The same situation applies regarding rice planting, ground is tilled, fertilized in many cases with natural fertilizer followed up with chemical fertilizers then in comes the rice planting machine, again same contractor and fair costs too.

However there are still a couple or more of very small farms who do still harvest by hand and plant the same way too

Edited by siampolee

As the article states, only 36% of respondents considered pollution to be the greatest threat. Those Thais who continue to throw things out of their car window would be among the other 64%. Got it? wink.png

64% of Thais don't have a car

The survey indicates that concerns reflect the area in the world they come from - geographical clustering.

So the question to ask is why are the biggest polluters and most polluted places in Asia, when Asians are the most concerned about pollution? And why is the most religous hatred and war in the middle east, when middle eastern people are the most worried about that? And so on. Or to look at it another way, if I was most concerned about my dirty home, the very first thing I'd do, the number one thing is to clean it. But why are these countries the world's worst at what they most complain about, like they have no intention to solve their problems?

The only reasonable conclusion is that Asia is the world's garbage dump. The middle east is home for religous fanatics and psychotics, Africa is the Aids hospice of the world and Europe is the dumping ground for the world's poor. Like it was all planned that way.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1