New York doctor tests positive for Ebola

webfact

^ You're just repeating the maybes and mights again.... I read that before I posted. I was just saying from observation - the theory that it might be spread through coughs and sneezes (which is not a symptom of ebola) seems to be statistically insignificant based on observation....

Have you been to Africa? If not whom did you observe? Africa 9000 cases. USA, 4 or 5 I think.

I'm the first one to admit it is unlikely that Ebola is spread by sneezing but it is spread by vomiting now tell me what does vomiting have in common with sneezing? Stuff shooting out of your mouth. Can people get Ebola and a cold at the same time? Are people with Ebola, immune system challenged?

Sorry to all concerned. I know too much common sense in one post.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ You're just repeating the maybes and mights again.... I read that before I posted. I was just saying from observation - the theory that it might be spread through coughs and sneezes (which is not a symptom of ebola) seems to be statistically insignificant based on observation....

Have you been to Africa? If not whom did you observe? Africa 9000 cases. USA, 4 or 5 I think.

I'm the first one to admit it is unlikely that Ebola is spread by sneezing but it is spread by vomiting now tell me what does vomiting have in common with sneezing? Stuff shooting out of your mouth. Can people get Ebola and a cold at the same time? Are people with Ebola, immune system challenged?

One person wandering around the city with a cold or flu and sneezing will infect around 16 people. Two people wandering around the country with a cold or flu sneezing will infect 32 people. To date, with the four cases (two of which were irresponsible) in the US.... you would see many more cases. The fact that sneezing and coughing are not symptoms of ebola, and that if the membranes that are involved with coughing or sneezing get infected with the ebola virus (a necessity for it to be spread in droplets from a sneeze) which according to what I read is doubtful and if it were - it would be in the later stages of infection when you are vomiting etc.

If you are really concerned - sell everything and buy it back when everyone is dead and it is cheaper :P

One person wandering around the city with a cold or flu and sneezing will infect around 16 people. Two people wandering around the country with a cold or flu sneezing will infect 32 people. To date, with the four cases (two of which were irresponsible) in the US.... you would see many more cases. The fact that sneezing and coughing are not symptoms of ebola, and that if the membranes that are involved with coughing or sneezing get infected with the ebola virus (a necessity for it to be spread in droplets from a sneeze) which according to what I read is doubtful and if it were - it would be in the later stages of infection when you are vomiting etc.

If you are really concerned - sell everything and buy it back when everyone is dead and it is cheaper tongue.png

You wrote, "The fact that sneezing and coughing are not symptoms of ebola, and that if the membranes that are involved with coughing or sneezing get infected with the ebola virus (a necessity for it to be spread in droplets from a sneeze)

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen. http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

Where is saliva? What happens to it if you cough or sneeze? What happens in you have dust in your nose or are allergic to something? Hint, sneeze. Now mucus. Where is mucus if you have a cold or allergy? Is it in your nose and throat? What happens to it if you sneeze or cough.

Do you really want me to google list 125 reasons why people cough and sneeze?

Don't get angry with me it's the CDC who is telling people Ebola is in saliva.

Edited by thailiketoo

OK you can start panicking again.

WASHINGTON: A doctor infected with Ebola in Sierra Leone was said to be “extremely ill” as he began receiving treatment Saturday in the United States, as the world’s most powerful economies vowed to “extinguish” the deadly epidemic.

Martin Salia, a US resident who was infected with the deadly haemorrhagic fever while treating patients in his home country, was flown to Nebraska for treatment.

In the United States, attention was focused on the University of Nebraska Medical Center where Salia arrived in an “extremely critical condition” Saturday from Sierra Leone’s capital Freetown where he had gone to treat Ebola patients at a hospital.

WASHINGTON: A doctor infected with Ebola in Sierra Leone was said to be extremely ill as he began receiving treatment Saturday in the United States, as the worlds most powerful economies vowed to extinguish the deadly epidemic.

Martin Salia, a US resident who was infected with the deadly haemorrhagic fever while treating patients in his home country, was flown to Nebraska for treatment.3

In the United States, attention was focused on the University of Nebraska Medical Center where Salia arrived in an extremely critical condition Saturday from Sierra Leones capital Freetown where he had gone to treat Ebola patients at a hospital.

Why should anyone have any undue concern over this? The patient has ebola; everyone knows he has ebola; he's isolated and being treated. He's not wandering around town, traveling in planes & trains with an unsuspecting public, cohabiting with family & friends, or in fact exposing anyone. He's also not violating any public health laws. I sympathize with his condition and hope he recovers. So why do you find yourself compelled to troll over it?

WASHINGTON: A doctor infected with Ebola in Sierra Leone was said to be extremely ill as he began receiving treatment Saturday in the United States, as the worlds most powerful economies vowed to extinguish the deadly epidemic.

Martin Salia, a US resident who was infected with the deadly haemorrhagic fever while treating patients in his home country, was flown to Nebraska for treatment.3

In the United States, attention was focused on the University of Nebraska Medical Center where Salia arrived in an extremely critical condition Saturday from Sierra Leones capital Freetown where he had gone to treat Ebola patients at a hospital.

Why should anyone have any undue concern over this? The patient has ebola; everyone knows he has ebola; he's isolated and being treated. He's not wandering around town, traveling in planes & trains with an unsuspecting public, cohabiting with family & friends, or in fact exposing anyone. He's also not violating any public health laws. I sympathize with his condition and hope he recovers. So why do you find yourself compelled to troll over it?

If they follow the same procedures as the most secure of the labs, there should be no problem. There are actually more dangerous pathogens that are stored in labs that are used for scientific purposes in the US already.

Calm down lad. I'm simply reporting that the number of Ebola patients in the US has just gone from 0 to 1.

That's probably enough to send Rand Paul and Ted Cruz into a frenzy.

Calm down lad. I'm simply reporting that the number of Ebola patients in the US has just gone from 0 to 1.

And the bowling alley managers. That's part of the protocol isn't it? 1. Return from Africa. 2. Take subway to bowling alley. 3. Call hospital.

..and enough to start you trolling. As usual. Nobody's in a frenzy (which is what no one having any undue concern kind o' means...). You'll catch on. Nothing to see here.

It's OK, it's back to 0.

Ebola-infected surgeon from Sierra Leone, Dr Martin Salia, dies at US hospital

Updated

about an hour agoMon 17 Nov 2014, 5:19pm

A doctor from Sierra Leone infected with the Ebola virus has died after being flown to the United States for treatment, the Nebraska Medical Centre says.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-18/surgeon-from-sierra-leone-dies-at-us-hospital/5898294?

Edited by Chicog

It's OK, it's back to 0.

Ebola-infected surgeon from Sierra Leone, Dr Martin Salia, dies at US hospital

Updated

about an hour agoMon 17 Nov 2014, 5:19pm

A doctor from Sierra Leone infected with the Ebola virus has died after being flown to the United States for treatment, the Nebraska Medical Centre says.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-18/surgeon-from-sierra-leone-dies-at-us-hospital/5898294?

Oh good. How nice for you.

A post baiting another member has been removed.

Forum rule 7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

FREETOWN, Sierra Leone — When Martin Salia’s Ebola test came back negative, his friends and colleagues threw their arms around him. They shook his hand. They patted him on the back. They removed their protective gear and cried.

But when his symptoms remained nearly a week later, Salia took another test, on Nov. 10. This one came back positive, sending the Sierra Leonean doctor with ties to Maryland on a desperate, belated quest for treatment and forcing the colleagues who had embraced him into quarantine. Salia died early Monday at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/a-doctors-mistaken-ebola-test-we-were-celebrating--then-everything-fell-apart/2014/11/16/946a84da-6dd5-11e4-a2c2-478179fd0489_story.html

Time to fly the doctor back to Africa by way of Iraq and accidentally lose him out the door over ISIS territory...

Cracking idea.

Then we get a load of infected refugees seeking asylum across Europe.

You didn't really think that through did you?

Time to fly the doctor back to Africa by way of Iraq and accidentally lose him out the door over ISIS territory...

Cracking idea.

We get infected people now -- and we deal with them. Hopefully the situation is more uncontrollable in ISIS territory. Germ warfare with with deniability.... Besides, if the world loses a billion here, a billion there... we have lots of redundancy...

Cracking idea.

We get infected people now -- and we deal with them. Hopefully the situation is more uncontrollable in ISIS territory. Germ warfare with with deniability.... Besides, if the world loses a billion here, a billion there... we have lots of redundancy...

That would be because we can track them, and they aren't getting smuggled across the border and being released into the dark with their infected friends.

thumbsup.gif